Help! I've hit a plateau!

newbies

(Katie) #1

I’ve hit a plateau! I’m pretty new to keto but have been doing a strict diet for 20 days now. I’m the type of person that likes to see change on the scale but I only weigh in twice a week. The first week I dropped 5.5 lbs and then another 2.5 the following week. But since then my weight has bounced back and forth by a pound. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not upset by a one pound fluctuation but I was kind of expecting more of a weight loss pattern after almost a month of strict carb counting. I started doing an 8 hour fast during the day from 10-6 making sure water and tea are my only intakes. I like this routine and the flexibility it gives me with my allotted carbs. Any advice or tips to help me get the pounds to drop? Thanks so much!

(Allie) #2

Be patient, you’ve only just started.

A plateau is no weight change at all in at least a month.

(Robert C) #3

Hi newbie!

You might be rushing a little here.

There are things you can do for quick weight loss (like extended fasting) but, they would get in the way of letting the keto magic work (and probably lead to rebound along with feeling like keto does not work).

The focus should be on the long game - high fat encouraging hormonal changes that allow your body to access its own fat stores. Once really fat-adapted (6+ weeks) you can start IF/EF (for example) and be sure you are really burning belly fat (instead of causing scale differences due to water weight or holding on to fat due to body-perceived calorie restriction). As well, keto (usually) gets your satiety signaling straightened out so, again the long game, you can sustain your fat loss. Quick fixes ignore this key long term need.

Please review the keto literature with an eye toward alignment with total intent (instead of picking the interesting subsections to follow). You’ll do much better.

PS

20 days is almost a month like $66 is almost $100.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Initially weight loss is water released by fat cells storing glucose. As you deplete these stores you lose weight fast. Actual fat loss takes longer. Also the more you have to lose, the more you will drop quickly. You’re doing fine, it’s a process of rebuilding a healthy metabolism and hormones that increase your health and not just weight loss. Many non weight loss victories to be had, including turning around many insulin related chronic health conditions.

(John) #5

I lost in weeks 1 and 2, gained some back in week 3 and the first part of week 4 (which is about where you are), then lost the gains and then some by week 5.

So it’s nothing out of the ordinary, just your body adapting to (and resisting) your changes.

(Jill F.) #6

Hi there, another newbie here. My advice is measure yourself. I am 30 days in and have lost more inches than pounds. I agree give your body time to adapt from eating carbs, and understand we did not gain weight overnight, and it will not come off that way either!

(Keto butts drive me nuts) #7

Keep calm. You might wanna mix in some intermittent fasts. And keto on!!!

(Frank) #8

Sounds like PISS

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #9

Post Induction Stall Syndrome

(Katie) #10

Thanks everyone! this is exactly what I was needing to hear. You see a lot of success stories of dropping significant numbers in the first month or so. I try not to get caught up in what you see/read on social medias despite the platforms for good information, but as a newbie, I don’t really know what to expect. I’m very excited about this WOE and finally feel like I’ve found something that fits me and my life! Thanks again for the support!

(Ashley) #11

Significant numbers of weightloss can be due to a lot of factors. How much you need to lose, how strict you are, if you use any artificial stuff, dairy can hinder some! Everyone is different. Unless you see no progress for over a month then I would just KCKO.

(Running from stupidity) #12

Two months, according to most people.