A year long slide

My wife and I successfully followed the Keto WOE for a year. Almost a year to the date, last April, we attended my brother’s wedding. Last May my oldest daughter graduated from college. In June, daughter #2 graduated from high school. After that, I had a birthday, vacations, and holidays…and a slow gentle “this won’t hurt” and we’ve gained everything back and more.

I’m so angry. I hate what I allowed to happen.

Today, though, we’re back. We have to. One day at a time…right?

(George) #2

Don’t beat yourself up over it. Life happens, just get back on that horse. I was doing the same thing in February of this year (wife’s birthday, valentines day, gatherings with the in-laws, etc.), and although I wasn’t comfortable veering away from keto foods, I let other people persuade me that it would be fine, it won’t hurt, etc. When I saw the weight creep back up after those slip-ups, I told myself the backtracking wasn’t worth it (and I was still fairly new to keto at this point). So, now I don’t have carb-filled cheat meals, just delicious keto friendly “cheats” that would take too much work to cook myself at home. And now when in-laws try to convince me that whatever food they’re trying to stuff down my throat won’t hurt me, I can kindly decline (over and over since they’re persistent), and back up my reasonings why with some of the great science I’ve learned from the podcast.

Anyway, just stay focused and you’ll be on track in no time.

Thank you.

(Khara) #4

Happy to see you back! This is my 3rd time keto. I completely threw away my progress of my first two times. And not just weight loss progress but I feel like I’ve done metabolic/physiological damage on top of it and so now have even more work to do. :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:
I got complacent and I pushed my luck and allowed crap food back in. Keto has been so easy before so I started playing with fire. Like you, I’m really disappointed in myself. I really threw away a lot.
I’ve been back one full month now and feel pretty great. I made a commitment to stick with it and that’s just all there is to it. I’ve had some challenges, like a recent weekend conference where I had to resist ridiculous piles of snacks and sweets and figure out how to eat keto from their meal options, but I did it, and I felt great when I got home.
I will say, this time around, it’s not been as easy. I’ve heard this before. I’ve read about it. And it’s true. My weight loss is about half as fast. One month in and I’m 8 lbs down. Both times previously I was more like 13 pounds down at this point. But, I’m ok with that. Logically I know slower loss is healthier. It just doesn’t feel like such a miracle this time and maybe that’s what I need. Maybe I need to work a little harder at it to fully appreciate and protect it. And yes, one day at a time. :slightly_smiling_face:
Keep us posted and best wishes!

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and for letting me know that I’m not the only one who’s been down this path more than once. In my head (that dark lonely place) it seems like I’m stuck and I can’t really see a light at the end of the tunnel. We’re just taking it hour by hour and day to day as my wife and I make choices to be healthy again.

(John) #6

Better than a 10 year slide, which is what I did. I lost down to about my current weight about 10 years ago, then didn’t maintain it. Gained it all back and then some. Decided to make a change in Sept 2018. 7 months later, I have reversed most of the 10 year slide, and hopefully will continue to move into territory I haven’t seen in 30 years. :slight_smile:

The sooner you arrest the regression and turn it around, the better. Just remember that “kicking yourself” feeling you are having right now and use that to help keep yourself on track going forward.

Remember, if you want to lose weight and maintain the loss, that means a permanent lifestyle change and not just something you do when there are no parties to go to.

(Khara) #7

I’m happy to hear you have each other. For the most part I’m alone in this. My SO has tried keto, loves the results, but just isn’t motivated to do it. So, there’s a lot of crap in the kitchen I have to resist. It’s my commitment to myself and being prepared with keto foods always on hand that gets me through. You having each other is a strength. You can have a weak day and hopefully she can be strong on that day and vice versa. You can do this. One day, one hour, at a time.

That’s solid advice. Thank you. Lifestyle change was always what we were shooting for.

(Melora) #9

It happens to all of us! The important thing is you know your’e capable. Keep calm and keto on!

I really think that our partnership was our key to success but also led to our backsliding. We did a great job of supporting one another and we’ve also used each other’s weakness as an excuse to wallow in the mire of crap food. We’re definitely in this together.

I’ve also missed the connection of this forum. There are so many like-minded people here that helped along the way before. I was honestly nervous before this first post in a very long while but ya’ll didn’t disappoint. Thank you for that.

(Scott) #11

I am doing the same thing only my slide was slacking off counting calories. Now I am doing keto…until I choose to slide again.

If you did this once you can do it again, only better.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Even the worst carbohydrate addict in the world can go 24 hours without. You can always have some tomorrow—just don’t have any today.