A suitable substrate for cheese

I’m looking for something suitable to spread or layer cheese on that would traditionally be provided by a bread crust or a cracker.
Cannot contain wheat or the contents thereof.
A potato crisp works a bit but is too brittle and not flat.
rice cakes don’t quite do it for me.
Any ideas?

Its redundant being cheese, but Parmesan crisps? I’ve used them for that pink/orange cheese spread stuff and it was pretty close.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Bacon? :grin:

Seriously, bacon spread with cream cheese is a good combination.

I just eat plain cheese, or sometimes I butter it, so it becomes the substrate. My favourite cheeses are Jarlsberg, cheddar, and of course, Brie.

(Geoffrey) #4

If it’s something like a dip I just use pork rinds or cracklings.
If that isn’t suitable then you might look into making a carnivore bread that can be toasted.

(Brian) #5

If something like a tortilla or wrap type substrate will do, sliced deli meat might do the trick. Have used that like layers in something like lasagna, too.

I have also used some “quick keto bread / bun” kinds of things, there are lots of recipes on YouTube, (from memory, check out details of real recipes if interested) basically a couple TBSP of almond flour, an egg, a pat of butter, a little salt and a little baking powder, mixed up in a small bowl and microwaved for a minute, which can make something resembling “bread”. I used to do that, now, I don’t bother as I’m perfectly contented with a burger and no substrate. :wink:

Have messed with a number of recipes for sandwich bread but really have never found one that I continue to make over and over again. One of the more popular recipes makes a fairly nice looking loaf but it being basically egg whites, ends up a little too much like memory foam, and that just doesn’t trip my trigger. Edible, yes. Enjoyable, not so much. I think I was spoiled with the real thing as I used to make a mean whole wheat bread from scratch before keto.

Good luck! Hope you find something that works just right for you. :slight_smile:

Nuts!

You can even break the nuts into small pieces, even all down to a powder.

Nuts are my substitute for bread. Nuts and chia seeds.

I use my carnivore sponge cake buns, they are 100% egg :smiley:
I used to have keto wafers (oily seeds with a little water. nuked) but they are brittle. But crunchy :smiley: They are less brittle if they are thicker though… But only my eggy sponge cakes are really good to spread stuff on it :slight_smile: They are wonderful to make sandwiches - but it may be me, an egg maniac who never liked bready sandwiches…

You can spread cream cheese on meat slices (pretty good idea for leanish pork if you ask me). Or even boiled eggs I suppose but that wouldn’t be my choice.

Of course, there are keto breads too… I don’t particularly like them and mine are too dense so I prefer my soft sponge cakes (oh they get firmer if I put some low-carb “flour” into the dough, there are so many options) but keto bread (with gluten and yeast so a somewhat normal bread) is closer to a wheat bread than a sponge cake. Even harder spreads are easy to spread on it.

If it’s a slice of cheese and not a soft cheese you can spread, it’s even easier. You can eat it with anything you consider okay with. You can eat it alone too (if you like that. I can eat almost anything alone) though it’s true for cream cheese as well…

I used to eat cheese with crunchy raw vegs like radish slices. Or pickles. They are nothing like crackers or bread but they are good with cheese…

(B Creighton) #8

Rice cakes really aren’t keto. They will spike your blood sugar worse than cooked rice.

How about flax tortilla? The ones on the market are ridiculously expensive, but they aren’t difficult to make yourself, and will help you with omega 3 fats.

(Karen) #9

Try Black Pudding, cocktail sausages, beef burgers or just a nice piece of sliced topside or steak or even ham and if you’re keto then use cucumber or the likes. I wouldn’t use cream cheese myself because of rhe amount of carbs in it… hard cheese is usually zero carb but i am off that at the mo as i get too addicted to it :roll_eyes:

It’s a bit like bread … people always feel like they need to substitute it with something else when they change to a different diet … change the thinking and stop trying to substute something with somerhing else instead try to just enjoy the joy of experimenting.

(Brian) #10

I used to have a keto naan recipe. It’s sorta like bread. I kinda remember it had flax as a fairly major ingredient, though, and to my taster, that ends up being what I would imagine “dirty sock water” might taste like, not pleasant. Some people don’t mind it. Maybe a bit more like “flatbread” but perhaps a decent substrate.

(Alec) #11

You’ve inspired me to make a carni pizza tonight… thank you!! :joy::joy::joy:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Headbanger’s Kitchen might have a decent recipe. It’s been a while since I watched any of his videos, but I seem to remember one about keto naan.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

What did you use as a crust?

(Alec) #14

Still future tense… 4.30pm here at the mo……

My plan is:

1. Shred up and cook 300g diced chicken leg, drain off moisture
  2. Create base mix: cooked shredded chicken, 100g cream cheese, 2 eggs, 100g parmesan
  3. Flatten out into a pizza base shape about 1cm thick, place on baking paper
  4. I am hoping that this mix will bake nicely in the oven for 30 mins, and will crust up into something reasonably crust-like.

Toppings:

1. Cream cheese on the base (instead of tomato sauce)
  2. Lots of shredded mozzarella
  3. Some shredded cheddar and shaved parmesan
  4. Sliced fresh mozz
  5. Bacon, ham, sausage, beef mince, diced chicken leg, sliced roast beef…

I think that’s probably enough!

(Alec) #15

(Robin) #16

Can’t love this enough!
I probably would have to make 2 crusts… one to eat immediately.
Looks so freakin’ good. Tell me, did the crust stay crispy?
And do you think chicken thighs would work as well? I’m thinking of all the work it would take to cut up and mince all those legs.

Also, would you mind flying to Kansas and preparing this for me? I am as bare bones lazy a carnivore as you’ll ever meet.
See meat, eat meat.

Chicken thigh is a big part of the chicken leg so of course it could work. I would use pork, what is the big difference, seriously? :smiley: Okay, pork is tastier but chickens differ too…
But I don’t bother with such complicated recipes :upside_down_face: I did do some not-pizzas (I can’t make pizza, even my wheat ones aren’t proper ones but it’s fine as my SO likes them), using eggs and pork, never cheese in the crust as I dislike cheese that way… I put all the cheese on top :wink:

(Denise) #18

I just found a recipe for piecrust using Almond Flour. I can make a bread-loaf (more like a banana nut bread/cake) and it doesn’t spike my sugar. Not sure about ketones as I still don’t test those. I just know I’m so low carb (under 20) I am surely in ketosis, and that’s been 3 years in January.

I’m thinking about trying some crackers etc as well. I like the taste of the Almond Flour, but I really think it’s partly mental, a big part, just knowing I am much safer eating it. I found this one if you are interested but haven’t tried it myself, yet :wink: Denise PS she has several recipes for different crackers. She works hard figuring out what tastes best, how much of what, I’m very impressed with her skills and hard work :slight_smile:
Cheese crackers

Here’s her channel on youtube, you don’t need the cookbook as she has her recipes on her blog/website as well. https://www.youtube.com/@AllDayIDreamAboutFood

I can’t encourage anyone more to be sure and get your main macros established, and be aware of getting hooked on too many goodies :joy: hohoho :slight_smile:

(Denise) #19

Piecrust is what I’ve longed for, and this recipe looks great. The crust is made in another video I’ll attach, but this is the pie I am getting ready to make for Christmas. The only things I’m testing out first is the Allulose, and in another recipe for cookies, Swerve brown sugar sub. for any sugar spikes for my T2 Diabetes.

Coconut Cream Pie

Pie Crust (press in type)

(Robin) #20

Denise! So good to see your sweet face again. Hope you are doing well.