A really extended fast: going for 46-days!

(Michelle) #362

That is a super quick turnaround for another fast!! I’m sure you will feast appropriately though.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #363

@Barbara_Greenwood, @MKChitown, I definitely overdid the feasting yesterday: it sat very heavily all night long and still a bit today. I did get some relief from a quick bio break in the throne room this morning. There are still many rumblings and I considered fasting until the symptoms went away but decided to have some light things instead.

All in all, I am feeling better after stuffing my face.

As far as the feast/fast cycling I will have to see how I feel before making a final decision. My glucose is still down this and my ketones are up at 5.2 so I am still deeply in ketosis. I just need to let my digestive system even out in the next couple of days and so may wait a bit longer before fasting again!

Thanks for the questions!

(Barbara Greenwood) #364

I know what you mean about getting some relief, Ron… I have an occasional… symptom… either way… and it always feels good when it’s sorted :slight_smile:

If it were me, I think I would wait until I was back into comfortable keto eating and felt like my digestive system were behaving itself before trying another fast. Different if your fast was 2-3 days, IMO, but what you did was in a different league.

(Cathie Condon) #365

That’s the problem for me sometimes- when digestion awakens it’s a ravenous beast. It’s much better being fat adapted but there is the mental hunger too. Best for me when I have a definite plan in mind as I only want to regain three pounds.

Ron - I just read this entire thread and it is truly inspirational. What a transformation and how meaningful for you that you did it in accord with your religion. Let us know what date your episode on 2ketodudes will air!

Will you be at Ketofest? I’m from CT but unfortunately won’t be able to attend Ketofest - by the time they announced the date hubby and I had reserved and paid for a cycling (tandem) trip in France. I hope the Ketofest will be happening every year!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #367

Day 49 of my experiment and am 3-days feasting today—I ate much too much yesterday and was uncomfortable all night. Thankfully I had some relief from a couple of trips to the throne room today!

You may notice that I have put back on 5.8 pounds but that means I am still down 29 pounds so no big deal for this fast! I knew there would be a bit of weight gain and with all the food that I have been eating I am glad it is only 5.8 lb. A few other forum members have commented that after long fasts, 21+ days, they had unquenchable cravings for food as well when they started eating again. I can tell that my cravings are starting to subside so I am hoping that things level out in the next week or so.

My blood glucose and ketones continue to be very good: yesterday my glucose/ketone index was above and this morning, after everything I ate yesterday, it was back down to 0.81 and in the therapeutic range once again. Yeah to a lot of fatty foods and all of the good fats in my diet!

I am also reconsidering the feast/fast cycling so soon after the long fast, as I said above, I need to let my body figure things out with eating again before I challenge it too much. I have an appointment to see my doctor next Tuesday and will consider starting the feast/fast cycling sometime after that.

My food log shows my carbs are twice what I would like them to be as I did add in macadamia nuts as well as some 90% dark chocolate, almost a whole bar, today. They just tasted good! For dinner I tried out my new Anova Sous Vide to cook my grass-fed ribeye to 135 F (57 C) for a perfect medium rare throughout. I then seared the steak in a very hot cast iron skillet with olive oil and a couple of generous portions of unsalted butter. I will do my steaks that way more often in the future, it is almost fool-proof to get the correct doneness and the steaks come out so juicy you wouldn’t believe!

My protein was a bit higher than I would like but that ribeye was so worth the extra few grams. As my body settles down into eating again, and I continue to eat real food and not processed junk, I will get into better habits with fewer cravings.

I slept 9.5 hours last night as I had a lot of food to digest. I am fairly full again tonight after that ribeye, I ate 6 of the 8 ounces, so hopefully I will get another good night of sleep!

For those of you interested in KetoFest.com where for an entire weekend in July, New London, CT, is becoming ketogenic with all kinds of great keto foods, activities, seminars, and even talks from some of the biggest names in the LCHF and ketogenic movement. Be sure to go to Ketofest.com to let them know you are interested. Only 7 more days to express your interest!

(Barbara Greenwood) #368

I am pleased to hear this, Ron. Did your doctor know about, and support you in, your fast?

Reason I ask is that a fasting group I’m in has banned posts about any fasts longer than 7 days unless the person is being medically supervised. No such rule here, obviously - but I just wondered if you were?

(Nathan Hall) #369

Banned speech? What’s the name of the group?
“Das Comrade Keto”? “Hammer & Sickle-ical Keto”?
:blush:

(Barbara Greenwood) #370

I darent tell you - I’ll get banned.

There are some bans I am grateful for, e.g. when commercial posts are outlawed and trolls are dealt with firmly. Limitations as to the topic of conversation… well, I suppose those who set a group up are at liberty to define its boundaries. Anyone who doesn’t like them is at liberty to set up their own place.

As I got the flavour of various keto/diabetes reversal/fasting places around the internet, I wished there was a place where you could discuss keto without being jumped on for doing it wrong, discuss diabetes without being told something you had eaten wasn’t according to this group’s programme, somewhere where you could disagree respectfully without it descending into a flame war between people with entrenched viewpoints.

Then I discovered that @richard and @carl had made this forum, so I didn’t need to make my own :slight_smile:

(bulkbiker) #371

“Fung Shweigh inspired by Dr. Jason Fung”
I left it becasue of that stupid policy.
I don’t think the doc is anything to do with it by the way although he appears to be a “friend” of the page.
I did it for you @Barbara_Greenwood

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #372

@Barbara_Greenwood Yes, In fact, I am banned from that group specifically!

When I started this extended fast one of the admins sent me a terse note that there were rules (that had be revised about an hour before her note) that stated that all extended fasts of more than 3-5 days had to be supervised by IDM or another doctor. She even checked with IDM to see if I was a patient. I told her that I had visited my doctor the morning of the first day of my fast and he was completely on board due to all of the success I’d had being on LCHF for almost 20 months.

I was given a restriction that I had to mention being under a doctor’s supervision on a regular basis to not mislead other members and in the week or so that I posted I had some regular followers who would comment and encourage me. I thought they wanted a note from my doctor to verify the relationship but I doubt that was an issue.

My mistake was another rule for no commercial solicitation: I had mentioned the Jigsaw Health Electrolyte Supreme that I take and may have actually put in a line to JigsawHealth.com. Well, within 5 minutes I was complete banned and could see nothing related to the group! I guess my journey was just too long and complex for the sensitive admins in that group.

I agree with @MarkGossage who posted the name of the group, that neither Dr. Fung nor Megan Ramos, the IDM medical manager have anything to do with the administration of that group.

Maybe you could try to be dangerous and just mention that I did finish my doctor supervised fast of 46-days with great success! Not trying to stir up the pot here!!!

(Barbara Greenwood) #373

Hey, take responsibility for you own actions :wink:

Nah - I don’t see the point in poking wasps’ nests.

I have a hunch that, as fasting becomes more widespread and knowledge grows, people will become less careful about recommending medical advice before you do it. I can understand that Dr Fung has to be careful about what he recommends publicly to people who are not under his direct supervision, and the easiest way to do that is to tell them to consult their own doctor.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #374

They need to be careful about the doctor/patient relationship. IDM always states that anyone outside of Canada is not a patient but can join their groups.

Just look at the mess Prof Tim Noakes of South Africa found himself in because of a tweet! This Friday is the final judgement in that ordeal!

(Tina ) #375

Thanks Ron for letting us go along with you on your journey. It is incredible! I think you learned a lot and passed on some great information to us - fellow ketoers. I am on day three of a five day fast - my first EF. I have been IF’ing for awhile and have been thinking of EF and reading about it for a long time. As you mentioned so much of it is mental. I am feeling good but my poor husband is sure I will faint at any time! Ha ha I repeatedly tell him I feel good.
Thanks again - truly inspiring and very helpful to me as i try my own EF.

(Bacon for the Win) #376

here’s the rub… we probably know more about nutrition than most doctors. We are more up to date on the latest science then they are and we are more invested with keeping up with it.

(Barbara Greenwood) #377

Oh, true.

In fact, in the case of how best to manage T2D and IR, any of us here would probably do a better job than many dietitians.

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting with a lady in her eighties who had high blood pressure and had suffered a stroke three years ago and was on a statin. She kept on telling me she couldn’t eat anything high fat…l and I cringed every time.

If it had been an ordinary social situation with some random person I’d met, I would not have held back in talking about keto. Whether she’d have listened is another matter - but that’s her choice. As it is, I felt constrained from doing that.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #378

Day 50 of my experiment and am 4 days feasting today. I’ve had a bit stomach irritation as I was feeling a pain I believe was due to eating so much as I jumped into fasting with both feet. I slowed down the feasting today and am feeling much better. Here are my numbers:

A late update tonight as work has picked up for me and I am not complaining. I really like what I do and it allows me to interact with all kinds of people and share my knowledge on many different topics with them.

I mentioned I was having some stomach pains earlier and I was surprised that I was also evacuating about twice a day without any issues. I initially assumed that the evacuation on Monday, the day after my feeding began, was residual materials from the detoxification process of fasting. It seemed to be the black sludge type of thing that I had read about from others who have done a long fast. The nice thing about each event lately is that it has relieved the occasional pains from the feeding that I experienced.

On my numbers, even with all I ate the last few days, especially with all of the fat, my weight held steady and my glucose and blood ketones have held in a very therapeutic level and I am glad for that. I was experimenting a bit to see if they would change while I ate very ketogenic with 75+% of calories from good, quality fats. I did overdo on the carbs yesterday at about 47 grams but have swung them back around today to less than 40 grams. I will have to give up my chocolate bar tomorrow to really get back on track!

Keeping my eyes on the goal of better health and losing weight so I no longer have to wear the ‘Obese’ tag whenever my doctor looks at my BMI. Please remember that BMI is not accurate for everyone. It was developed as a crude estimation when processing data for large populations so it is nothing more than an estimate, not an exact evaluation. It works best to show averages in large numbers of people but that is about it. I don’t mind using it as I look at it as just another hurdle I can jump on my journey to better health!

For anyone in the North Florida area there are some Keto folks getting together this Saturday in Gainesville FL to have lunch and talk keto. Let me know if you are interested for details!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #379

Day 51 of my experiment and am 5 days feasting today. Another late time for my update so I will keep it short and mostly just post my numbers. In fact, I only captured some of what I ate as work really piled on today. I will catch up more tomorrow. Here are my numbers for today:

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #380

For those of you following the Health Practitioners Council of South Africa (HPCSA) trial of Prof Tim Noakes, I am pleased to say that he was cleared of all charges.

Here I an interview with the Prof: https://www.enca.com/south-africa/live-video-hpcsa-delivers-noakes-verdict

And here is a link to a summary article on a news page that covered the entire 3-year trial: http://foodmed.net/2017/04/20/noakes-trial-day-reckoning-ferocious-fable-lchf/

(Jeff) #381

Yes! Such great news. Thanks for sharing.