A really extended fast: going for 46-days!

(Barbara Greenwood) #322

I was also once 8lb (as my mother reminded me on my birthday last year - thanks, Mum!).

But from the age of 8 I have been, almost without exception, overweight (or obese, or morbidly obese - mostly the latter). The only time I wasn’t overweight was when I was 22, and it lasted less than six months before I was back in the overweight category.

Anything which doesn’t involve my weight climbing is seriously good news.

Ron, I am just staggered by this fast of yours. I am forward planning for a six-day period in July when my husband will be away, and I can fast without needing to justify myself. I had been toying with the feast/fast/feast cycle thing, but tbh I think I will benefit more from just doing a straight water fast (with bone broth, probably) for that time. How cool would that be? But nowhere near as cool as what you’ve done.

Every blessing to you this Easter season.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #323

Thank you so much @Barbara_Greenwood, it means so much to me that others followed and supported me through this effort. I couldn’t have made it without all of you!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #324

Doing prep work for my feast tomorrow and did well to avoid even tastes! Then I realized there were these 2 lonely strips of bacon left over and I was tempted to break my fast.

I easily mustered the courage to say ‘No’ and wrapped them for tomorrow! Oh, the hidden stresses when fasting.

(Barbara Greenwood) #325

Only hours left, Ron. Stay strong!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #326

Wait wait wait.

I’ll admit I haven’t read every post on this fasting thread, but please tell me you don’t believe in the BMI chart. It can be so incredibly off base because of the wide variation in LBM.
I, for example, lift weights and have an LBM that would never fit those BMI charts.
I’d encourage you to completely dismiss their validity. @richard explains it much better than me, but basically even the way the BMI chart was formulated is very wrong. The history of it is just as fucked up as the Ancel Keys cherry picked fat study.
/rant

P.S. WTG Ron. Impressive. Enjoy your holiday tomorrow.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #327

Day 46 and 1,100 hours fasted on water, coffee, bone broth, electrolytes, and occasional heavy cream. Made it this far, there’s only a few hours left! Here are my numbers for today:

It has been a long and interesting journey working each day to see if I could and would make it all these days. Now, with only a few hours left I am looking forward to the next adventure in my life. 10 PM tonight, not including the time change, will be my 46-day fasted point. For a while there I wondered if I would see this day. As I kept going with the fast I found it interesting how easy it became day after day.

The only drawback was the chills that I experienced. Many others doing shorter fasts also complained about being cold especially in their extremities just like I’ve experienced. Almost all of them mentioned that once they started eating again they could feel the warmth flowing out their arms to their fingers and down to their toes.

I chose to overlook the chills, I used extra salt to help alleviate them and even used heavy cream in my coffee but I have been cold for about 40 of the last 46 days! I even had to put an extra blanket on my bed to help me warm up at night.

My understanding of a possible cause of the chills is my body slowing down a bit and reducing the metabolic rate to save fuel. This slowdown did not make me feel sluggish or even tired at all, I was able to keep up with all of my daily work every day and never felt like I was overwhelmed. Actually, I feel great! I am positive and still have a smile on my face every day. I really can’t believe the amount of energy that I have. Again, I am not a doctor and so this is just my best guess after reading a lot of literature.

What’s next? Tomorrow is Easter Sunday and my wife and I are going to the Easter Vigil mass tonight, as it is the most beautiful mass of the year, and we are going to the 11:00 mass tomorrow morning. With our feast scheduled for 3:00 I am undecided whether I will break my fast before or after the 11:00 mass. I’m not hungry but it has been a long time since I’ve had bacon and eggs! Hmm, decisions!

We are having ham, which may or may not have a sugar glaze on it. If it does I will simply cut it off as I don’t process sugar very well, I can tell because of my weight, and I prefer to not have it. I will load up with more fat for satiety. I made a Bacon, Bleu Cheese, Walnut dip with a cream cheese base and I will make a Fathead pizza crust (mozzarella and cream cheeses with a bit of almond flour) and use those as breadsticks, might even brown some cheese on top as well!

I do not expect to be able to gorge too much as my stomach needs to get used to eating once again so I will take it easy and try to not make myself ill. That gets back to one of the things I wanted to take away from this fast—self-control when it comes to eating!

I will also continue to take my weight and blood readings each morning and continue to post updates for everyone. I would like to use MyFitnessPal to track what I am eating but that sounds like a lot of work and I am allergic to work!

As I said yesterday I am planning on doing a feast/fast cycling way of eating so I will feast on some days and fast on others. I will plan on feasting for a few day initially to get going again.

To everyone: Have a Blessed Easter!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #328

@Brenda I totally agree about BMI. It was originally designed to determine obesity in a population not on an individual basis. I spent 20 years in the Air Force and for the first 19 years they used BMI to tell me that my maximum weight allowed was about 15 pounds less than I weighed with a 36" waist! I had doctors recommend that they allow me room but ended up spending my career on the ‘fat boy program.’

I included it here not to be accurate but just a another comparative measure that shows that as my weight goes down so does my BMI.

(eat more) #329

woooooooohoooooooooo! :tada: :clap: :hugging: :blush: :heart_eyes:
(pre-celebration for you)

Happy Easter Mr. Coleman!

(Richard Morris) #330

Congrats on making your goal.

As you’ve been on a long fast you need to slowly reintroduce food to your system to reboot your gut. There is a syndrome called refeeding syndrome that can be very dangerous. I understand it’s caused by not being able to absorb potassium in the early days. So I would start with a lite salted chicken broth. Then some chicken meat in broth an hour or so later. Then a small meal an hour after that. Then if your gut has tolerated that after a few hours you can probably feast.

(Barbara Greenwood) #331

Not as Gospel, no. But I think we can be fairly confident I don’t have an extra 70lb of LBM. I know those bioimpedance scales are wildly inaccurate, but even so the 49% BF mine gives me is an indicator I have a fair bit of work to do.

IOW, I will reassess as I go along. But it’s pretty clear currently that I am carrying a lot more… energy stores… than necessary.

(Michelle) #332

Yes! Refeeding syndrome is real, but I think @ron-coleman addressed this and knows how to reintroduce food.

WTG Ron!!! Sooo happy for you on reaching this goal. Can’t wait to see what you eat on your feasting days!!

Happy Easter! :rabbit::hatching_chick:

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #333

Thank you @richard! My plan is to go slow and start with some fatty things like a few macadamia nuts and olives to get things going. I will wait 30 to 60 minutes and then snack on some bacon or a boiled egg (all prepared in advance along with the Bacon, Blue Cheese, Walnut dip from the RECIPES thread!)

I like the idea of chicken broth, I just made a fresh batch the other day and will drink some.

My feast will be ham with assorted treats like cheese, bacon, and butter for extra fat to satiety. I realize that I may be able to eat much today and will not force myself.

If need be, I will prepare my favorite bacon and eggs this evening if hungry!

Happy Easter to all!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #334

I’ve eaten! 5 olives and a, slightly generous, 1/4 cup of macadamia nuts.

I will also have some sauerkraut juice to help the microbiome readjust. My stomach is making all kinds of noise now!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #335

You go @ron-coleman
Proud to know you man.

Happy Easter!!!

(Jaidann) #336

Congrats!! I hope you have a blessed Easter and a wonderful breaking of your fast! I’ll keep reading as you continue to update. :slight_smile:

Thank you for writing this thread – I stayed up reading all of it last night and learned so much. Very happy Easter @ron-coleman!

(Lee Jones) #338

It’s been a pleasure to read of your fasting journey @ron-coleman. You’ve done fantastically well!

(Mary 🌹 ) #339

You were a huge inspiration to me! THANKS

(Bacon for the Win) #340

I have completely enjoyed following your journey on this thread. Thank you for being so diligent with your posting and enjoy your Easter!

(brian) #341

Amazing job and thanks for all the posts so we could follow along. I don’t know if I’ll ever do 46 days but following your journey I know it is possible. Wish you the best this weekend with your family and friends.