A poll about drinking alcohol and keto

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #22

I only notice the faster effect if I drink the beverage really quickly.
Most of the time I have one no carb beer a night, and it takes me a few hour to drink it in a cooler.
Therefore I don’t get drunk at all lol. Tho if I were to scull it and drive, that would be a different story.

(CJ Young) #23

I seem to get as intoxicated as always after one or two drinks but the stacking effect seems more intense. Essentially, it seems to stay in my system longer so if I have more then two drinks I get drunk pretty fast. Also, I’ve essentially stopped drinking. I can count the times I’ve had alcohol since going Keto (about five months) on one hand so it’s entirely possible I’m also loosing my tolerance.

(karen) #24

I’ve been in a crabby impatient rude mood since yesterday afternoon. Had a glass of wine the night before. This is so subjective I’m finding it impossible to decide whether the two are related - anyone have n=1 data to add??

(Doug) #25

Karen, one glass of wine affecting you on the second day later? Sounds far-fetched to me, but who knows?

I don’t get headaches or feel too bad at all from ‘hangovers,’ but there is a phased-out, less energetic feeling where I can easily just sit there and stare off into the distance. I’m not much for one or two - would rather have 7 drinks one day a week versus 1 drink every day. So, a little physical “damping down” combined with the mental aspect of knowing I took in those empty calories, that I stopped burning fat for a good while - it’s the opposite of positive reinforcement, makes me feel more like, “Well, I already screwed up, so might as well do it again today…”

What does this to me are my fellow humans. :confounded: :wink:

(Stephanie ) #26

I get intoxicated much quicker. I usually have a tall boy of Michelob ultra and a flavored vodka shooter 2-3 times a week after work.

(karen) #27

Yup. But I must say, I feel like I should issue a blanket apology to anyone on the planet who works customer service. I dropped the F bomb on some poor lady this morning. :astonished:

Yesterday’s fiasco with some Chinese lady at Tracfone was a disaster but ended on a funny note. It took so long that I started making dinner while on the phone. Finally, after six irrelevant “Oh, by the way’s” and an equal number of “bear with me’s”, she said “thank you for calling Tracfone. goodbye”. I said “goodbye”, at the speaker phone, as my hands were full of keto meatball. She waited a moment and then said, “goodbye”. I leaned over and said, “Goodbye”, a little louder. She waited and said, once again, “goodbye”. I rolled my eyes, once again said “GOODBYE” and hung up with my nose.

I’ve been reading Keto: The Complete Guide to Success on The Ketogenic Diet, including Simplified Science and No-cook Meal Plans by Maria and Craig Emmerich.

In chapter 3, they discuss oxidative priority, a concept that I had not yet encountered in all of my other reading on this subject.

The human body can use the following fuels for energy:

1. Alcohol
  2. Exogenous Ketones
  3. (Excess) Protein
  4. Carbohydrates
  5. Fat

Moreover, the body prefers to use these fuels in the order listed. The authors make the point that if weight loss is your goal, it is counterproductive to drink alcohol. Your body will metabolize it before all other fuels; these other fuels be shunted off to storage during alcohol metabolism.

(karen) #29

I wonder if the moral of that story is, “DO drink on an empty stomach”? (i.e. you may not be losing weight, but at least you’re not shuffling dietary fat and converted carbs into your adipose tissue storage?)

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #30

For some reason, only two low carb beers and I already have a buzz. That’s good, because I drink a lot less beer now. :slight_smile:

Carbs definitely increased my tolerance and used to be a go to hangover food. I could easily down a bottle of wine with pasta or pizza no problem.
Now it’s a drink or two and I’m feeling good. Which is fine with me! Now I’m a cheap date.

(MelissaH) #32

I’m def a cheaper date now than before keto. Hits me way faster too. The downside is I get dehydrated faster than before!

(Mike Glasbrener) #33

I get more intoxicated and have a much more difficult time recognizing my level of intoxication now. It’s actually kind of a problem… As such, at this time my alcohol intake is much rarer.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #34

I get drunk on less alcohol, but I clear the buzz faster. I like to think that my liver is leaner and therefore accepting more alcohol and cleaning it faster.

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #35

That’s funny!

For me if I drink a Bacardi rum or 2, and I’ll usually have a drink without food in my stomach, I get the buzz,& I no longer get a headache and I no longer feel hung over at all the next day and I think it’s due to the fact that I’m not doing sugars and I’m staying under 20 carbs.
So I read all these replies in this thread, and the ones similar to me, get munchies for junky food. I don’t get that.
If I get a bit hungry I’ll usually go for some cheese and salami or some chicken and cheese something Keto…and I don’t need much of it.
To sum it up I have a better experience when I drink when I’m Ketogenic.
As i said, I think The Secret is in the fact that I don’t have sugar and carbs in my system.( i do 20 carbs or day or less)
I don’t drink alot, or every nite, somtimes w/ friends on the weekends etc.
Anybody else have my experience?

(Ann) #37

same here, it so weird, it’s like I can’t get drunk but even a small quantity of alcohol gives me headaches, I wonder why

The thing I notice, is if I drink, I drink …usually Bacardi rum… Maybe a few shots… What I love is that I don’t have that foggy hangover because I don’t eat carbs or sugar with it or after I’ve had the drinks. So everything seems to be really good however I will not lose weight when I drink alcohol.

(Carissa JB) #39

I can drink any crazy amount of straight alcohol and don’t gain weight (it may stall me a bit , I 've been very close to my goal for a few months) I don’t get any sort of hangover either. This is only since I’ve been on keto. I didn’t drink the first 2 months but when I tried it again it was a dream…

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #40

I should try Bacardi rum. I have a gin and tonic the the other night and it gave me headache within hours of drinking it.

(Chris) #41

No difference, but I gave it up nonetheless. It does not further my goals and I stopped enjoying it before going keto.