A poll about drinking alcohol and keto

(karen) #1

When I started keto, people told me after a while I’d become an alcoholic lightweight, one drink would knock me on my butt. I’ve actually found the opposite to be true; while I feel the effect of alcohol, maybe longer than I used to, it’s not a big rush / buzz like it once was. How about you? Feel free to add comments if you’ve got something specific going on.

• I get intoxicated more easily than I used to.
  • I get intoxicated less easily than I used to.
  • I haven’t noticed any difference, alcohol affects me the same as it always did.
  • I think I get as intoxicated as I always did but it seems different (how?)
  • I no longer drink alcohol since going keto. (why? is it unpleasant or just part of getting healthier?)

0 voters

(Ron) #2

You need one more category. “Haven’t consumed alcohol since going Keto”.

(karen) #3

I could also add a response of “I now take showers instead of baths.” Wouldn’t give me any more useful data! But ok, I’ll expand and find out how many people have just sworn off it. Not relevant, but interesting. :slight_smile:

(Ron) #4

I would disagree as I would find it interesting to know who quit when they started Keto and would also be interesting to know if Keto caused them to quit due to the effects or desires?

(karen) #5

Ok, I can see that. I’m actually sort of in that category myself, I still have a glass of red wine now and then but mostly because I like the taste.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

I get headaches when I drink wine now. I did not pre Keto.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #7

So I don’t get more intoxicated but I get the headache. There’s no category for that. Or maybe it’s just me.

(karen) #9

My idea was that you’d hit option 4, same intoxication but different, and then make a comment like you did about what’s different.

(Trudy) #10

I get more intoxicated than I used to…by far! I also wake the next morning feeling dehydrated. Doesn’t seem to put me off though, addiction is tough! I try to restrict my alcohol intake to weekends and 3 standard drinks.

(Michelle) #11

Once I went keto I switched from wine to 90 proof bourbon. I get intoxicated faster. But it could be the difference between wine and bourbon.

(Alec) #12

No alcohol now for 4 years. Don’t miss it. Feel MUCH better without it.

(Allie) #13

You also need a “didn’t feel the need to drink alcohol even before keto” option.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #14

:raised_hands:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #15

I rarely drink alcohol now since going keto because I’ve learned most alcohols make me swell and get hive-like reactions. I’m insulin-resistant. I can occasionally tolerate vodka drinks sans sugar and sometimes a small tipple of champagne. I usually feel so good now and with legal weed, it’s my relaxer of choice.

(Marilyn Cox) #16

I find my stomach doesn’t like alcohol (or perhaps the Coke Zero I put it in) as much now. It feels like an uncomfortable brick in my belly after more than 1 drink.

(Hoteski) #17

Here’s another option… I get so drunk on keto that I end up doing the stupid shit way sooner than normal :joy::joy::joy::joy:

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

:fist_right::fist_left:

For me the issue falls under an unlisted option:

“I can drink just fine on keto, it’s the off-the-rails munchies and off-plan eating that always follows that’s frustrating. So, that’s why I don’t drink anymore.”

:smiley:

(karen) #20

Oh, I hear that! I was fasting last week and my back was bothering me - disk issue, unrelated to keto. I thought “I’m fasting, but I could take some gabapentin.” And then re-thought it and took some advil instead. Nothing like feeling a little loopy to convince yourself that a big ol’ pizza would go down well!

(Jan) #21

All my life, I’ve never been big on drinking alcohol, mostly because it just makes me sleepy - I’d fall asleep before I got buzzed. Since going keto (almost 2yrs) it’s not working as well. I now have a glass of wine in order to fall asleep sometimes, and it doesn’t put me out half as well as it used to. Hmmmm…