A one hundred day fast

fasting
extendedfast

(sue) #22

what has your fasting practice been like between your last seven day fast and now?

(Todd Allen) #23

You might consider a second dexa scan part way through the fast to track how much of your weight loss is fat and if any is muscle or bone. If the results aren’t to your liking then you might adjust your strategy with more exercise or eating some protein, drinking bone broth, etc.

Godspeed!

That’s a great idea. I had planned to get one when I was done, but midway wouldn’t be bad either.

When I start eating, it will probably be the grass fed steak I have in the freezer. I want to avoid eating protein during the fast though, as I want my body to recycle my skin.

I am also going into an extended fast. I am on day 3 and hope to go 60+ days. Good luck to you. ; )

People can really fast this long without doing damage to their body?

Lots of intermittent fasting with the occasional multi day fast.

It depends. The world record 382 days, where the faster lost 276 pounds. It was medically supervised, of course. If you’re not careful, yes, you can damage the body. People do die of starvation as a result of lack of nutrient and electrolytes. If you don’t have sufficient body fat, you will burn muscle, but you only have so much of that.

Just shows how amazing the body is.

(Felix) #30

I know about hair loss, but teeth? What happens?

(Ethan) #31

I found that statement scary

Water fasting depletes minerals. If you then over exert yourself (thinking exercise=more fat burn) then even more minerals get depleted. Hair,nails, and eventually teeth and bones can suffer. I had some issues with teeth becoming loose on my first one month fast. I tried to exercise at the same time. Must rest, conserve those minerals and let the body do its thing.

(Dawn) #33

I read someplace…don’t remember where, that is you are obese or have significant fat stores, that your body will pull all the minerals you need (except potassium, salt and magnesium) from your fat stores as they are burned. Does anyone know if that is true?

(Ethan) #34

It should pull fat-soluble resources from fat if they were stored there. I don’t believe water-soluble resources are there.

Not entirely. Your body will take calcium from the bones, for instance. Your fat cells, like all cells, contain potassium, sodium, and magnesium, but not enough to survive on.

(Michele) #36

Correct me if I’m wrong - my understanding is that autophagy will kick in and begin to break down old cells and recycle the constituent components/micronutrients.

Yes, but many micronutrients are used up by the body at a rate faster than autophagy provides.

Just sharing my personal experience. I’ve had very good results eating one meal a week (approximately). I’ve been doing it for about 3 months. I’ve gotten two DEXA, so I know my loss has been all fat and no muscle. I doubt my weight loss would be greater without the meal breaks. I chose to do it this way because it fits better in my life, I think it’s safer, and it allows me to keep up by exercise regime (several sources say it’s detrimental to do strenuous exercise during prolonged fasting). I’ve experienced none of the negative side effects that some people have, other than occasional episodes of orthostatic hypotension.

Good luck!

On day three now and it’s been good so far. I do enjoy how blissful I feel while fasting.

The most difficult thing so far is not partaking in the lunch at work today. It’s all home made Mexican food, and delicious. It’s the kind of meal I love. But, priorities.

I’m most of the way through day six. So far it’s been the easiest fast I’ve done. I did struggle a bit with sodium, but bullion cubes fixed that. They do have some carbs. I’ve been keeping my calories under 50 a day.

So far I’m down 17.0 lbs (7.7 kg). There was a big drop the first day. I’ve been dropping 2.0 lbs per day since. I don’t expect that rate of weightloss to continue. My thermogensis has dropped a bit, which I expected would happen, but I’m still perfectly comfortable indoors.

(Jon H.) #41

Following and cheering