A new take? Increase dietary fat to reduce impulsivity/binge eating

newbies

(mole person) #61

I don’t concern myself with calories. Jason Fung never has his patients calorie count. They just eat meals to satiety when not fasting. This approach makes sense to me and has worked like a charm.

(Kirk Wolak) #62

First, I would GLADLY trade you Satiety Signaling… LOL.

(Kinda hating you, right now. LOL)

I truly BELIEVE your body will NOT let you lose too much weight if you are feeding it.
So, I would push a bit to see where you get to. Because we have no idea what our weights should be. I hit my goal, but my set point seems to be +20 lbs from that, so far. And I think I want to go 10 below my goal, just to see. But given the set point right now, I think it is best to wait it out a bit, and get used to my current weight.

Keep us posted!

(Kirk Wolak) #63

I love the KETO MOJO.
I have a Precision XL (My daughter uses it now).
I have a Keto Scan (breathalyzer) as well.

The Mojo has a web site GKI Bundle that is really nice. I bought like 200 strips (4 packs) to get even more savings. Basically buy the 50 Ketone strips, and get the 50 glucose strips for like 5.00 or something crazy!

HTH

(Mother of Puppies ) #64

I love Dr. fung. After I read his book, the obesity code, my eating was completely intuitive based on what I had read. I lost 40 pounds in three months. I was so excited, though, that I had to search for more about this crazy diet. That’s where others influenced me in multiple different ways and I could not get myself back to my original path.

@CaptainKirk Thanks!

(PJ) #65

This ^^ is one of my biggest interests. If there are any specific posts, threads, forums, listservers, psychic depots or other storage points of discussion or information about this, I’d love a link. (Or just think about it really hard, in the latter case. :rofl: )

PJ

(BuckRimfire) #66

I have three ketone testers: a KetoIQ $13 BAC tester (since last fall), a Ketonix (since last winter), and a KetoMojo (since last month). I just tested with all of them. The KetoIQ said zero, the Ketonix said about 45 aka mid-yellow-arc (before the huge bounce up that always occurs right after the end of the blow, which went OFF the top of the red zone in the scale) and the MetoMojo said 0.5 mM.

The KetoIQ is pretty much useless. It always reads for me either zero or 0.4 mM, although I forgot to get it out to try it the few times I got over 1.5 mM on the KetoMojo.

The Ketonix is also not trustworthy IMHO, although it may not be completely useless. If you can blow consistently, maybe it is somewhat repeatable and indicative of your ketosis, but in addition to the big bounce up at the end of the reading (which it’s tempting to record, but I’m pretty sure is an artifact), it is plagued with false positives. They even have a FAQ on this subject: “Why is my daughter/husband/neighbor blowing red?”

And it says:

"They eat pizza, fries and drink beer, is the simple answer!! When you received your KETONIX, you are likely to test it all the time. When doing so, a normal reaction from others is to see if they are are burning a lot of fat (even if they don’t follow a low carbohydrate, high fat diet).

Eating carbohydrate rich food and looking for ketones does not make sense. The body does not produce that much ketones while there is available circulation carbohydrates, unless you have diabetes type 1 and have very high blood sugar values.

However, the KETONIX reading may be high on high carbohydrate diets, but that is not from ketones metabolism. It will be from the process of breaking down those carbohydrates. This process is done via bacteria, called probiotics in your gut. If too much of this bacteria could cause a slowdown of your metabolism. There are studies that connects the probiotics to obesity and other metabolic issues relating to brain chemistry.

So, use our KETONIX for the intended use. For example: If you eat pizza and drink a beer then look for ketones … you are not using it as intended."

So, the Ketonix is a terrible false-positive generator! If you get a high reading, EITHER you are in heavy ketosis, OR you are eating too many carbs. So, if it shows a zero or very low reading, you have zero ketones (and you can trust that interpretation), but if you have a high reading, either you have high ketones OR zero ketones. You don’t know which. Real helpful, right?

I found a review of the KetoMojo and others at Diet Doctor that showed it had acceptable (to me) accuracy and precision (not the same thing!) and lower cost per test strips, so I got that one. The only thing I don’t like is that the ketone test strips require a bigger drop of blood than the glucose test strips, and I’ve ruined a few strips by only half-filling the blood channel. But that’s operator error more than a fault of the device!

On the KetoMojo I’ve been in the range of 0.4 mM to 2.8 mM, usually 0.7 to 1.1 mM. I haven’t been very strict lately, but at least I’ve not seen any zeros. I should test my daughter after one of her pasta feeds and see if it can even report a zero…

Extremely high results using Ketonix
Always at the low end of ketosis, why?
(BuckRimfire) #67

(Mother of Puppies ) #68

NSV!!! - Today, on my sixth day after starting the fat fast, I had no less than three people attempt to offer me surprise carbs, (For two years, I’ve thought surprise treats were my downfall.) to include my favorite in life - warm, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. I have never passed these up that I can remember. Maybe when I first started keto, but not often. I took the items and sat them on my desk until the excitement of TREATS had died down, and when I went to lunch I dumped them in the trash. What a win! :smiley::smiley::smiley:

(BuckRimfire) #69

Maybe you need a desk sign reading “Anyone offering unsolicited food in this area will be pepper-sprayed.”

Or get an attack rabbit.

(Karla Sykes) #70

You know I’ve been watching dr. Berg on YouTube and he was stating that if you are craving carbohydrates and cookies you should increase the amount of fat in your diet and make Rich tasty Foods. So today for lunch I totally did that I sauteed some vegetables and some coconut oil and then I have a nice juicy ribeye and I sauteed some onions and mushrooms and avocado oil and for my snack I had an avocado but I didn’t even eat it ! I Was So Satisfied that I didn’t even think about cookies from McDonald’s today. It’s ironic that you mention that literally

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #71

Nice meal. Just a thought though…keep an eye on the amount of onions, as they are a bit higher in carbs and can cause an over abundance for the day. :slight_smile:

(Karla Sykes) #72

Ok :heart::heart::heart:

(Kirk Wolak) #73

While no “gospel” there key things are:

• Monotone Nature (avoiding variety)
  • Egg Yolks, Avocados, and Olives are mentioned pretty directly
  • And you stick with THAT food for days. Until you stop wanting to eat, and fast naturally

Dairy would be a no-no. Too many people react. Too easy to have/enjoy different flavors. You want stomach fullness and mind numbingly boring.

(Mother of Puppies ) #74

That got so mind numbingly boring that I realized all my “preferences” in food are based on an insulin reaction.

I lost all interest in cooking. Gotta force myself.