A molecule produced during fasting leads to a longer life

(Dave) #1

https://www.cell.com/molecular-cell/fulltext/S1097-2765(18)30605-1

(Dave) #2

The first link lead to a summary page. Down below you have to pay if you want to read the entire study. Here’s the link from where I saw the original story.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

Keto is sufficient to make beta hydroxybutarate. It’s one of the three ketone bodies you make.

(Chris) #4

I think it’d be more relevant for a vegan TBH. TFW you have to starve yourself to get the same results we get by eating rich foods we enjoy.

(Todd Allen) #5

I did a post on this including a link where you can read the full paper for free via the science pirate site sci-hub.

(TJ Borden) #6

:thinking: hmm… yeah, I’ll stick with door number two. :cut_of_meat:

(Jane) #7

I’ve already seen the effects of not just halting aging but reversing it with this WOE. The article only mentions ketosis which we all are in, but honestly I didn’t see the more dramatic effects until I started fasting.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #8

Of course, you can formulate a vegan diet that is also ketogenic. Some folks have done. I wouldn’t.

(Chris) #9

Naturally, but it’ll obviously never compare to at least an omnivorous keto diet. Not to mention all the oil one must chug, and the pills one must take. :slight_smile:

(Carpe salata!) #10

I’ve done two 5-day fasts and yes, I felt amazingly well on them and after.

(Melis Jansen ) #11

I’ve had similar results. I’m 49 and a half and I look younger than I did 10 years ago. I would not believe this if it did not happen to me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Forgive a correction, sorry! The three ketone bodies the human body makes are aceoacetate, acetone, and β-hydroxybutyrate. The last is not actually a ketone, by the strict definition, but it counts as a ketone body.

My dictionary says that a ketone is “any of a class of organic compounds containing a carbonyl group, CO, attached to two alkyl groups, as CH3COCH3,” and a ketone body as “any of several compounds, as acetoacetic acid, acetone, and hydroxybutyric acid, that are intermediate in the metabolism of fatty acids and are produced in excessive amounts under certain abnormal conditions, as in diabetes mellitus.”

And now you know exactly as much as I do! :grinning:

Ah, but there’s a difference between knowing and understanding. :wink:

(TJ Borden) #14

:worried: I don’t think either apply to me…

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

Amended for accuracy. You are right… ketone bodies != ketones, though many use them interchangeably.

(Linda) #16

I’ll fast when I’m dead.

(Mike W.) #17

Why do you say that?

(TJ Borden) #18

Sure, but you probably won’t get the same metabolic benefit.

(Steve Stephenson) #19

Dr Ben Bikman showed us a way to get the benefits of fasting without caloric restriction!

(Linda) #20

And it would be such a darned shame not to have a few extra years to be abused and neglected in the nursing home.