A list of useful kitchen gadgets

(Shayne) #21

If you don’t have a smoker, but you DO have a grill, you can smoke on the grill. That’s how I do it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Beef, onion, butter, stock, salt, and paprika, omitting the potatoes. I don’t even bother to thicken the pot liquor into gravy, although one could, with some thickener and some heavy cream.

I most like the kitchen master slicer. I use it regularly when cutting vegetables

I love to use products whicn can help me in kitchen.Does anyone have a suggestion of new and cool kitchen gadgets for 2018?

(Bob M) #26

No thermopen? (Or other meat thermometer?)

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

No remote meat thermometer you can put in the oven with a wire to your electronics outside the oven? I can’t cook meat without these.

No jar opener?

(Joanna Parszyk ) #27

I have 21 out of 25 :grin::star_struck:

(KCKO, KCFO) #28

I got off the fence, ordered an IP. Love it, it zoomed to the top of my kitchen gadgets.

(Victoria ) #29

I’m with you on the Instant Pot! It makes wonderful bone broth quickly, hard-boiled eggs that are easy to cook to perfection and are a cinch to peel, and a quick keto cheesecake. Also great for braising meat (chicken thighs with salsa, doro wat, lamb shanks, short ribs), making ghee and rendering fat for tallow (did this last weekend) and lard.

I also love my Pit Barrel Cooker. It makes it easy to smoke enough meat to last a week or two in a few hours, and you can freeze dinner-sized portions for a quick meal. https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/

(Diane) #30

Would you care to share your methods? Please? :grin:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

I inherited my mother’s pressure cooker. Eh!

(Victoria ) #32

I just poked around online. I believe these are the two sources I used:

http://acalculatedwhisk.com/ghee/

I have a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid, so I ground my beef fat and it was incredibly quick to render. I was left with fine crumbles of beef that I garnished my dog’s food with.

(Doug) #33

I got one of these this morning. A regular “steak knife” or general kitchen knife or Japanese Katsura-style thing, 8"/20 cm blade. After taking it out of the package, I was impressed with the sharpness - a “wow” moment. Cheap - Winco brand from Restaurant Depot, was $15 or something like that. Feels very good in the hand, strong as heck.

Used it this evening - in a very detailed and complicated procedure - cutting a hunk off the end of a 3 lb/1.4 kg block of cream cheese. :smile: Don’t know how I did it, but all of a sudden my left hand ring finger had blood coming out of it - right where you’d do a blood sugar test. Did not even feel it.

(Running from stupidity) #34

Good knife technique is even more your friend than the trend is, trust me :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #35

I would have used those on a salad. So nice of you to share with your 4 legged friend.:wink:

(KCKO, KCFO) #36

I like that I don’t have to keep a steamer, a slow cooker, and a pressure cooker in the kitchen now, the IP does a lot more than pressure cooking. It also does a very good job sauteing things.

I have yet to try the cheesecake baking, but that is on my holiday schedule, probably will do one for the New Year meal.

(KCKO, KCFO) #37

Oh I did that once, once was enough. Last knife wound I had was an idiot move, I had put a sharp knife in the dish pan, and then got distracted for a few minutes, stuck my hand in to the dish pan and the pointy end of the blade stuck my royally. That was about 25 yrs. ago and I use at least one knife every single day.

Curl up those fingers and keep your eyes on the blade at all times. It does work for me.

(Diane) #38

My cheesecake baking in the Instant Pot May be my favorite discovery. I knew I’d be able to quickly steam veggies and cook pot roast or pork roasts. I didn’t expect to how great it is for custards like cheesecakes and quiches.

I used these two resources as a basis when starting my Instant Pot cheesecake adventures (I had to change/adjust the sugar to a sugar free sweetener and change the crust as I ”keto-fied” the recipes).

These two give great general advice on how to get the best results with cheesecakes using the Instant Pot.

I love using Carrie Brown’s Lemon Shortbread Cookie dough for the crust. You can leave out the lemon zest etc and adjust the flavor profile to match the filling. FYI- the lemon shortbread crust is really good with a plain, New York style cheesecake with a keto raspberry or blackberry topping.

(Brian) #39

I kinda enjoyed this… :slight_smile:

(John) #40

I love my kitchen knives. The other components are good cutting surfaces, and the skills and equipment to keep them sharp.

(Doug) #41

Me too, and my respect for them has been reinforced. :smile: