A interesting stall but not a plea for help, I have fun with this stuff

(Scott) #1

I started July 10th and lost weight steadily through November 4th. What I find interesting is that I have maintained within just a few pounds since. My diet is usually <50g and I have not changed my eating habits at all. It is like my body has found balance. I may be running a bit more but that’s it. I know I could break it with IF, cutting fat or the dreaded cutting back on wine and scotch. I am a tinkerer and content to just watch to see what happens next. I hope to be able to slowly lose belly fat but I need to give it more time to see if that’s the case. I just thought it was interesting to drop 20 pounds fast and then just level out. Weight and graph is daily from my Aria FitBit scale.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Most likely why you’re at a stall.

I had not read this post before. It is a good one. Thanks for linking it so that I could read it :slight_smile:

(Scott) #4

The booze has been a constant the whole time before during and after weight loss… It is like I am in a homeostasis zone. I only have about 10 pounds that I could lose to be at optimum weight and have no medical conditions. I get up and run most mornings at 4:30 am. While the alcohol may not be the healthiest habit I have I am not sounding the alarm bell over it either. I didn’t really start keto for weight loss alone but to be able to regulate my weight and have a sustainable healthy way of eating from now on. I lost 50 pounds via calorie deficit and hated it especially when I gained 30 pounds back.

(Robert C) #5

I think the takeaway here might be that your body - given the level of running, early wakeups (to run - but might mean less sleep) and alcohol intake (which is a physical stress) thinks it is at the optimum weight right now (and won’t budge).

Your body’s idea of optimum weight is where you get (plateau) on keto. Lots of things will help you to hold on to weight or let it go.

Your body might pick a new optimum weight on keto if you:

• Add or reduce physical or mental stress
  • Change your sleeping pattern to get more or less sleep
  • Increase or reduce the hyper-palatable foods in your eating plan
  • Increase or reduce alcohol consumption
  • Exercise closer to a rate that preserves cardio health, muscle and keeps joints healthy vs. no exercise or exercising to the point of excess hunger and physical stress
  • IF/EF

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Dr. Phinney talks about the weight we get to on a well-formulated ketogenic diet without much trouble, and the body maintains it without trouble, so we call that one’s “Phinney weight” on these forums.

The trouble for some people comes when their Phinney weight is not the weight they really want to be. It depends on your goals, however. For example, I went keto for my metabolic health and have achieved that goal. In the process I lost sixty pounds and have regained so much functionality in my life that if I never lose the next sixty, I don’t care.

How do I know when my weight is where it should be?
(Scott) #7

I wake up at 3:30 AM daily without an alarm so that is not likely to change but I do retire early so I am not deprived. My stress is a business I own and probably the reason I wake and start thinking about what needs attention. My running allows me to clear my head and I value that. It would seem the two changes I can make are alcohol and adding fasting. There in is my problem. I can’t fast for more than 24 hours if I don’t abolish cocktail hour. If I stop drinking I will probably resolve the stall anyway. I am getting close to taking a break but not there yet but I am staring at it.