A humbling discovery

conversationstarters
keto
newbies
fasting

(Kimbrie) #1

So let me start by announcing that since October 10th I have lost 20 pounds and 2" from just about everywhere. This last week I finally realized something that you all tried to tell me but didnt head your suggestions as I guess I was trying to prove something to myself. Either way, I was trying to do these extended fasts practically back to back. Last week suddenly I was struggling to even make it 8 hours, I was desperately hungry. I ate approved foods but a few of them I ate my old style portion size, meaning could feed a tiny village. Well after being without much carbs previously, I gained back almost half the weight I had lost (22 pounds at that point). I suddenly got very saddened because I couldnt seem to fast, was starving all the time and had forsaken tracking my counts. I felt very out of control like I had before I discovered the program, was I going to wash out like I have always done in the past? I have a good friend who is a fitness/nutrition guy finally get through to me. Super rapid weight loss isn’t healthy, you will gain the weight back if you dont lose the weight in a healthier manner. You all have said the same things, feel foolish but think I for some reason felt I had to expedite the well proven process. Regardless here I am today, wiser and more confident in my dedication to this lifestyle. Every day has just gotten better and better and I am very grateful.

(Susan) #2

That is great, Kimbrie, I am so happy for you that you are figuring it all out, and I wish you the best =).

I’m glad you are sticking with it!

We all come from different places, different life experiences and it takes a while for some things to sink in. Same with me. I keep learning new things!

We adjust and move forward. You are doing great because you are learning. This is a lifestyle, not just a diet. Changes like are this are big and life altering. :smiley:

(Kimbrie) #4

Thanks Susan :fist_left:

(Kimbrie) #5

They are big and life altering FOR SURE. I cant even imagine going back to living like I was, I mean no wonder I was so miserable. I feel truly blessed and hopeful indeed, thanks for your encouragement friend, it means a lot!

(Chris) #6

Marathon, not a sprint. From reading about others’ journeys and my own experience, 1, 1.5, maybe 2 lbs per week is a good rate. Other than all the water weight weight at first, it seems the most successful people on keto more than a few months, are slow & steady toward the goal.

I look at it like this: I didn’t get overweight in a few weeks, I’m not going to lose it all in a few weeks either. And I’m fine with that - I feel good, I don’t feel like I’m starving myself, energy levels are fine, and don’t constantly have food on my mind like I did with pure calorie deficit diets in the past. Maybe 5 lbs per month…yeah it’s gonna take a long time…but I’m ok with that. I think anyone expecting keto to be some type of magic instant -50 lbs is setting up for disappointment.

(Chris) #7

Oh…and if I read correctly you’re not even 8 weeks in yet? Many people will tell you that is kind of early to be doing big fasts. If your macros are right and you are in keto (and staying clean, not cheating), use fat as a lever. If you eat lunch at noon, and are starving at 5pm, you didn’t eat enough fat at noon. The fasting comes in steps. At least for me and what I’ve read from many others the fasting was a natural progression. Kind of like this (and we’re all different so this is very generic):

1. adjust fat so no hunger between meals
  2. only eat when truly hungry (not just because it’s lunch time)
  3. meals naturally start spreading out or are occasionally unwanted (i.e. I wasn’t hungry at lunch time today so I didn’t eat and wasn’t hungry until dinner time).
  4. Start intermittent fasting.
  5. The IF window shrinks naturally. Go from 10 hrs (say 10am to 8pm), to 8 hrs, (11am-7pm) to 6 hrs (12pm - pm), etc. Whatever works for you, but you gradually just fast for longer periods.
  6. That turns into 20/4 fasting schedule, or one meal a day, or longer fasts. Depends on you.

But if at <2 months in you just said “I’m gonna do a 48 hr fast”…very high likelihood of failing. It was hard for me talking to more experienced people on their 72 hr fasts & just not understanding. So used to wanting food every 3.5 hrs on carbs it doesn’t compute when someone says they’re good on a little hot tea & black coffee for a few days.

So (not that I’m any expert) my advice is just stay the course and wait for you body to naturally WANT to fast. Pay attention to your hunger signals and only eat when truly hungry (not just because it’s time to eat). Then go to 2 meals a day with longer “no eating” intervals between your last meal today and first meal tomorrow. But don’t force it - if it doesn’t feel natural/slight effort, just wait until it does.

Also - if you are trying to run a calorie deficit AND do keto, you may never want to fast or feel like you can do it. Probably have to pick one or the other. I did. Eat until satiated and stay in macros much more important than calorie deficit (within reason - 1200 cal daily surplus obviously bad). The calorie deficit will come naturally as you just don’t want to eat as often. Hope that all makes sense… :slight_smile:

(Kimbrie) #8

Chris, I totally agree…unfortunately the me that started this program was pretty obsessed with that number and went after it with gusto and ignorance…despite you all telling me otherwise, and I am very grateful for all your insight. I weigh myself 2 to 3 times a week now, more for tracking purposes than the actual amount of weight lost. I know the weight will come off, even if it takes years, I feel FANTASTIC at this size, better than I did at my smallest size. I have also scaled back my insane kamikaze fast your life away plan…lol I look back on that time and I was a real ignoramus for sure. I know fast twice a week for 36 hrs, but at any point if I am hungry I eat. I am still losing inches and pounds so no big whoop. I do like the other health benefits such as asphagia (darn spell checker cant even spell it, that must mean it is fancy and good lol) process and as a person who has been a lifelong suffer of not one bundle of fun but 3 pretty severe mental illnesses…I feel keto with IF has truly been a miracle in my life, so who knows maybe it will fix my helplessly broken brain…it certainly isn’t doing any harm while I test my hopeful theory :grin::grin::grin: thank you for taking the time to reply, you guys have ALL been SO amazing