A Greek Yogurt that's actually Low Carb? RE: Two Good

I love flavored Greek yogurt and that’s been one of the biggest challenges I’ve faced during my transition to a lower carb woe. I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time reading yogurt labels and was pretty discouraged, until I stumbled upon Two Good Greek yogurt today. I had to look at the label twice because it only has 3g carbs?! Along with 2g fat, 12g protein and then 80 calories. The label said the low sugar is because of a special slow straining process-who knows, lol. I bought a couple to try and I’m eating the peach flavored one right now-it’s good! Tastes similar to the other Greek yogurts I’ve tried.

Anyone else try this? It was on sale this week for $1.25 per servng so I’m tempted to go back and buy a few more (or a couple cases :joy: ).

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

Only 2g of fat? Too bad it doesn’t have more fat (and less protein) otherwise I’d be interested in it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Low carb, low fat, high protein. If that’s what you want, go for it! I don’t see the point eating stuff with more carbs than fat, but that’s me. You’re going to eat what you want no matter what I think. :roll_eyes:

I know it’s NOT yogurt, but you could try sour cream and add a small amount of powdered whey or casein. If you want fruit flavours without the carb tax, get flavoured whey or casein. Read the labels carefully! Some contain much more artificial and/or real sugar than others. The non-flavoured versions generally are not sweetened. The whey and casein will give the sour cream a smoother texture and soak up any separated liquid even if you use nonflavoured versions. If you add real fruit for the flavour you’re going to pay a carb tax. Experiment.

Of course, you could make your own high fat, zero carb yogurt:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

@DaisyDawn I hope I did not sound too negative in my previous. I just came from the supermarket and while there looked at a number of sour cream selections. Only the 14% variety had a usable fat:carb ratio of 2:1. All the others had too much carb and too little fat. So my suggestion about trying sour cream would only work if you used the 14% variety and added some additional cream to it, like whipping cream or double cream. Whipping cream would thin the sour cream, while double cream would thicken it. If you try this, be sure to get whipping or double cream with zero carbs. I’m going to try this myself some time soon, when I have some spare carbs to play with.

Something else that may be of interest is what I came up with a couple nights ago when I needed to get my total calories up for the day. It’s more a pudding than yogurt, but if you added some sour cream it would become more yogurt-like and less pudding-like. Adding more whipping cream would make more liquidy and less ‘doughy’.

• 50 gr Devon Double cream: 0 gr carbs; 26.7 gr fat; 0 gr protein
  • 16.5 gr Casein powder: 1.0 gr carbs; 0.5 gr fat; 12 gr protein
  • 10 gr Whipping cream (33%): 0 gr carbs; 3.3 gr fat; < .1 gr protein
  • 5.4 gr MCT powder: 0 gr carbs; 3.2 gr fat; 0 gr protein

Totals: 81.9 gr, 372.4 calories: 1 gr carbs; 34 gr fat; 12 gr protein (these are rounded)

The casein powder I used is vanilla flavoured and has a small amount of sucralose, which is the 1 gr carb. You could try other flavours or add extracts. If you add actual fruit the carbs will go up dramatically.

I’ll let you know what I come up with using 14% sour cream and how ‘yogurty’ I can get it. BTW I LOVE yogurt. But like you long ago figured it’s less than ‘keto friendly’ and there’s not much you can do about it other than try to make your own.

('Jackie P') #5

I once saw Gary Lettke on stage with a low fat yogurt. He said the macros weren’t quite right and added a few tablespoons of cream and pronounced it delicious! Why not? Actually I add soured cream to greek yogurt to keep the carbs down!
I also have read many times that if a yogurt has live cultures you can halve the carbs as they are "eaten " by the bactetia! Although I have never understood why they only eat half!

(KetoQ) #6

Those are pretty keto friendly macros for a flavored yogurt. Thanks for the recommendation.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

Referring to what macros?

(KetoQ) #8

I’m sure you know what macros are. Why don’t you just say what’s on your mind.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

I don’t want to get into a food fight. If you think 2f:3c:12p are “pretty keto friendly macros”, you’re entitled to your opinion even if I disagree. Meanwhile, I’m going to figure out how to make a high fat low carb yogurt that has real keto macros.

(Daisy) #10

I’ve tried it, it’s pretty good! I’ve found a couple kinds that I’m not guilty eating. That’s one of them

(Allie) #11

See if you can get a Bulgarian starter culture and add extra heavy cream when you’re fermenting it. I use 1ltr full fat organic milk and add an extra 250ml cream to each batch I make (this makes me 8 servings) and it’s lovely. I started using the Bulgarian strain after hearing that it’s lower carb than other strains.

Thanks for the input everyone :slight_smile: I’m already exceeding my fat goals so I’m not too worried about finding one with a high fat content, I’m more looking for an option to replace the flavor/texture of the higher carb Greek yogurts I was eating, that has a lower carb intake. My loose carb goal is 50g net carbs a day, and some flavored Greek yogurts can take a big chunk of that in one serving. So finding one that has a low carb content while still tasting good has me pretty geeked :sweat_smile:

These yogurt labeling practices are a bit sketchy to me. If you get one that’s “no added sugar” then the only sugar should be the lactose in the milk they used. That is what drives the fermentation process and some of it will get used up. Much like kombucha, the resulting post-fermentation sugar content is kind of hit or miss. Generally, the more sour tasting it is the better. I don’t think anyone measures the residual sugars to put on the nutrition label.

Here’s the info on the one I’m talking about, from their site-
‘Less sugar, more delicious. That’s two good to be true, right? Nope. Two Good Greek yogurt has 85% less sugar than average yogurts* because it’s made with a unique slow straining process that removes sugar from the milk, leaving 2g of total sugar in each 5.3oz cup.’

The ingredient list-

• Cultured Grade A Reduced Fat Milk, Water, Contains Less Than 1% of Tapioca Starch, Natural Flavors, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Gellan Gum, Stevia Leaf Reb M, Fruit And Vegetable Juice Concentrate (For Color), Sea Salt, Active Yogurt Cultures L. bulgaricus & S. thermophilus .

eta: it definitely had a more sour taste, not overly sweet at all.

(KetoQ) #15

What’s so destructive about a 3g carb cup of yogurt? It’s literally a nothing burger for low carb eaters who want something a little sweet. Fits right in to a day of keto macros.

But if you want to be food police, be careful recommending artificial sweeteners like sucralose to doctor up what is likely an absolutely awful tasting yogurt concoction. For some people, sucralose may raise blood sugar and insulin levels. It may also damage the bacterial environment in your gut.

(John) #16

I enjoy moderate quantities of Fage 5% total plain greek yogurt. Only two ingredients - milk/cream and the beneficial bacteria cultures.

It is a little higher in carbs than the Dannon product (4.5g vs 3g for a 150g serving of either) but higher in fat and protein as well.

A bit off topic but have you watched the Keto Connect youtube video where the two hosts tested a bunch of sweeteners and then their blood sugar-splenda/sucralose actually had no affect on them, neither did aspartame. I think they tested 8 different kinds, pretty interesting to see the numbers play out :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw

(KetoQ) #18

Your comment is totally on topic, as your desire for a yogurt that fits into a keto/low carb WOE is probably more about eating something a little sweet, than it is about yogurt per se – which inevitably delves into good low carb options as well as the use of artificial sweeteners.

I didn’t see the video, but as I wrote, and as the linked study details, some people, not all, react to artificial sweeteners with insulin spikes. Sort of like the Feldman cholesterol protocol, some people’s LDL goes way down, other’s skyrocket.

Furthermore, a one off test might not tell the whole story. Repeated use of artificial sweeteners will likely change your gut bacteria enough over time that could lead to glucose intolerance, and other adverse health consequences.

That said, I don’t have a problem with artificial sweeteners. Its hard to stay strict keto. It’s hard to wean yourself off sweets permanently. If 3g carbs from fruit in your yogurt helps you stay under your daily carb limit, that’s an excellent strategy.

('Jackie P') #19

Did they measure insulin?

They measured keto levels and then glucose levels before/30 minutes after. On an empty stomach/early morning. It’s a short video and fun to watch :slight_smile: