A ghee question

(Lyn Simmons) #1

I am new to the ketogenic lifestyle. I recently purchased ghee. It was the only kind in a grocery store I stopped in, I tried it in my bulletproof coffee this morning in place of butter. The smell was horrible as well as the taste. It smelled literally like a barn. I burped all morning and tasted that smell. Does all ghee smell and taste that horrendous? I barely could choke my coffee down but it was my breakfast so I did. The ghee cost $18 so I thought it must be good and it was middle eastern… Somebody tell me that there is better tasting stuff out there, please?

Sorry to say this…but you spent way too much money for that product. If it tastes like it is off, bring it back to the store and get your money back.

Next time, do this…make your own ghee…really simple…here’s how:

Buy some butter, doesn’t have to be fancy, just whatever in the store, like this…

Melt the butter in a saucepan…

Pour melted butter in glass measuring cup…

The yellow clarified butter (ghee) layer will separate from the white milk solids. Yellow layer at the top can be poured into a glass jar…and that’s your homemade ghee.

(Lyn Simmons) #3

Thank you very very much!!! :smile:

Also if you want to get every last bit of fatty goodness you can chill the jug until the top layer of fat it solid and then it is super easy to drain off every last bit of whey without losing a drop of the ghee!

Yup. I make my own ghee for the same reasons. The shop bought stuff mostly smells bad. Yes. Like a farmyard. There is one good brand I have found…
I will however add some details to the above ghee recipe if I may.
Yes. Making ghee is easy. But I do find that the best ghee is made from a long slow heating of the butter. I like to get the whey solids that fall to the bottom of the pan to darken and caramelise a bit. This gives the ghee the most delicious almost toffee like smell and flavour. My friends always covet my gifts of ghee and say how much nicer it smells than the shop bought stuff!! For better long term storage I also filter through a very fine metal sieve. Not that it lasts very long in my house though😏

(Eric Sawyer) #6

Simply put 2 pounds of butter in a baking pan and stick it in your oven. 300°F for an hour and a half. Strain through a fine sieve or a nut milk bag. It will smell and taste like popcorn butter .

This is what I usually buy … https://www.vitacost.com/organic-valley-purity-farms-ghee-clarified-butter-7-5-oz?csrc=GPF-PA-Food%20%26%20Beverages-019336400101&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=019336400101&csrc=GPF-PA&mtp=spQZbZ8Vl-dc|pcrid|110483600413|product|019336400101&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnsPGBRDo4c6RqK-Oqu8BEiQAwNviCdpJ-91SbnBSZhrcvZ60BPozaktPgku6_9xFrvfZAAgaAgyc8P8HAQ

If money is no object … http://www.bulletproof.com/grassfedghee

(Tina ) #8

I use Trader Joe’s Ghee/Clarified Butter. It is so delicious - tastes almost like candy to me. I think the smell reminds me of my caramel sauce making days. Good luck!

I use the same thing and it is much better than another ghee I bought online that was supposed to be “good”.

I actually made the Ghee Hollandaise Sauce the other day to go with some grilled chicken thighs and it was delicious even before mixing it into the bowl. :smile:

I intend to make my own ghee soon from another thread on the forum.

(Michelle) #10

really??? it’s that simple? I’m a goof. had no idea.

I agree with @Fiorella .

If anything, ghee tends to lack flavour. Definitely make your own with your fave butter and get your money back for that overpriced rubbish.

Can anything be done with the leftover milk solids after making ghee? Seems a bit wasteful just to throw it out.

@RFunf,

Let the left over milk solids cool off a bit. Add vinegar. And spices and/or garlic or onion. Blend with a stick blender or food processor, to make a nice sour cream like dip, tastes a bit like ranch dressing.

(Daniel C.) #14

Im a no no ghee. I tries over 20 diets out there and many combos between them but never mixed ghee with the food. On keto i allways go with butter(any) or cocnut oil (no olive oils), but the ghee i use it for extended fasting, i guess is something very androgenic in it, and it s not just me but anytim i m using the ghee or at least im trying to mix that up with the food (low carb, lets say im doing a huge omlette and mixed grill) i get sick. I use fat only for fat adaptation then i fast just with water and salt and im breaking the fast with ghee again/or butter. So i never mix ghee with the food. Try getting local organic ghee and my advice is to never get it in the summer time from nobody except your familly, and to try just the normal butter or any other oil( i would rather use plain vegetable oil than olive oil wich is a big industry and you can get screwed so easly, even when you pay big money)

Mind my english, me the noob

MMMM…I’m going to have to try that!

(Lyn Simmons) #16

I am so glad I’m not crazy. I was reading everyone talking about how they love ghee this and ghee that. I tried the first one and felt like I was licking a pig hoof. I bought another one that isn’t as foul but still has the same underlying smell. Like when you drink beer or wine and you talk about the after notes. So I’m left with that taste in my mouth from my coffee.
I’m going to make my own or buy trader joe’s. Or perhaps try the other one, I’ll click on that link. I have a hard time figuring out when my good fasting time is. I think I do better eating in the morning and fasting later.

(Tina ) #17

Made the easy peasy homemade ghee recipe and it is delicious. Super easy is right and cost effective.

just skip the butter. it tastes the same. Throw a little salt in it if needed and add more coconut oil if you want more fat.

coconut oil is a pretty amazing fat. I only put it second to avacado. Through all the keto I made an effort to substitute good fats in place of lard and butter. Why not? Its healthier. i am cut back on dairy fat too.

I will say this about bulletproof coffee. There is nothing better to drink when you pushing through 3-4 hour weightlifting sessions. it keeps you pretty charged up. Way too many calories with low nutrition for sedentary behavior though. Straight black coffee is the way to go if your not doing anything high intensity.

I know folks in keto who drink that stuff all day and get fat LOL. They just cant understand it HA HA.

(Mike Price) #19

I had the same experience with several mass market ghee brands. Most smelled and tasted like I reemember the old movie house “butter-like” popcorn toppings. I ended up throwing each out, and just using butter as others have mentioned. Ultimately a friend bought me a jar of Ancient Organics ghee, and it was fabulous. The color was different, and the taste was nutty. It’s a bit more expensive though, and frankly I ate most of it out of the jar with a spoon it was so tasty, so I have not reordered it!

(Keto in Katy) #20

:smile: