A ghee question

(Tom) #21

How do yo–

(Lyn Simmons) #22

Thank you for the information! :grinning: I will be looking for that kind. I just got one that was a vanilla bean ghee and it still has a weird smell and after taste to it. Everyone on Amazon loves it though (I bought it in a store)

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn Mar 28, 2017 16:35, Mike Price <ketogenicforums@discoursemail.com> wrote:

mjprice26Mike Price

March 28

I had the same experience with several mass market ghee brands. Most smelled and tasted like I reemember the old movie house "butter-like" popcorn toppings. I ended up throwing each out, and just using butter as others have mentioned. Ultimately a friend bought me a jar of Ancient Organics ghee, and it was fabulous. The color was different, and the taste was nutty. It's a bit more expensive though, and frankly I ate most of it out of the jar with a spoon it was so tasty, so I have not reordered it!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

If one really does not like the taste of some ghee that one already has, is there any use for it? Can dogs eat it? Can I mix it with some magic potion and make it palatable?

Ghee is NOT the same thing as clarified butter!

There are traditional methods of making ghee that bring out the nutty (farm) smell and taste. It’s a more complex process than others have given you here. This is what many middle-eastern people will be seeking (and paying extra money for). No doubt, you probably would be happier with clarified butter and it’s cheaper.

That said, the supermarket Ghee is often foul and rancid. Avoid it. Ghee keeps much longer than butter… but not indefinitely.

(jketoscribe) #25

What do you do in making it that make it different from clarified butter???

I don’t know how. Google “traditional ghee”

Do you use strong spices in your cooking? Example like curry? I’d give it a shot with very strong spicy curry and see if it works.

(roxanna) #28

I’m obsessed with the 4th & Heart vanilla bean ghee. Excited to make my own ghee as well!

Thanks! Perhaps your vanilla flavoured syrup from another thread too

(David) #30

Trader Joe’s Ghee is really good I just bought some on Sunday for the first time I cook everything in it ads a very nice buttery taste.

(jketoscribe) #31

So I looked up “traditional ghee” and the only difference I found is that traditionally you are supposed to start with fresh raw milk and then churn your own butter. From there, you make the ghee the same way I do–the resulting “curd” or butter in a pan on the stove until the solids separate and carmelize, then strain the ghee. Since I don’t have my own cow and raw milk is expensive, and there’s no advantage I can see to churning my own butter from commercial cream (and one site said that “it’s not ghee if you make it from commercial cream” so I guess those of us with cows are out of luck), then it seems to me that the ghee I make on my stove top from good quality butter is essentially the same. I have purchased some commercial ghees that people of Indian culture sing the praises of and don’t detect any difference, but perhaps my palate is not nuanced enough to detect the subtleties.

I have had a similar debate with a professional chef who declared that homemade mayo made with an immersion blender instead of whisking it just so is not truly “mayo”, that it’s too soft (I find the texture perfect) and that it will separate (mine does not). I get that ghee making and hand whisked mayo are honored traditions, but IMHO it’s a bit of culinary snobbery to declare something that uses the same ingredients and results in the same product inferior just because it’s not made in the traditional way.

The only thing that might make a difference in ghee is freshness. I have disliked the ghee I made with Kerrygold butter, and I like local butter made from grassfed cow’s milk better than Kerrygold, too, because the local butter is fresher. So maybe the point of making your own butter first and then turning it into ghee is freshness. That’s why I start with a fresh local butter of good quality. But as to techniques, once your “curd” or butter is on the stove, it’s all the same.

You know a lot more about it than me. What I can tell you is that the high quality purchased Ghee taste markedly different from cheaper ghee or clarified butter. The traditional Ghee has a beautiful nutty flavour. I love it.

In the link below they guy highlights that real traditional Ghee is “cultured”. There is a lot of how to descriptions that leave this out.

(Alena Chernenko) #33

I agree! I can eat the trader joe’s ghee on its own, it so deliciously nutty!