A doctor's experience of extended fasting!

(Lisa ) #1

Hi everyone, Lisa here! I’ve been lurking and posting over the last few days. Long story short, I am a Kiwi doctor who has gone from obese (BMI of 38) to a normal BMI (24.4). I have done keto on and off, and after reading Dr Fung and Jimmy Moore’s books and listening to 2ketodudes I’ve decided to do an N=1 experiment. The reason? To be able to give some solid advice and help my patients. This is the opposite of what I was taught in med school, but I really think y’all are on the money here with keto and fasting. So far I’m at about 70 hours in, ketones up to 3.0 and feeling good after exercising. Oh, and for those interested my pre-fast stats were: Weight 75.7kg (167lbs) and height 174cm (5’9). Currently sitting at about 73.9kg, but I know that’s going to fluctuate! Feel free to join me - any advice would be well-received :smile:

(Karen) #2

Fantastic!! You’ll have surprisingly good results.

K

(Carl Keller) #3

Welcome Lisa. It’s so refreshing to see a humble doctor here who is willing to embrace something that goes against the advice of conventional medicine. The people here are living proof that keto works. We have learned how to take control of our minds, our bodies and our way of eating… We have hi octane energy and the way we eat has a positive domino effect on so many of our body’s systems. It truly seems unfair that the masses don’t realize that keto can change their lives for the better and it is not that difficult. We need people like you to help spread the word. :slight_smile:

(Lisa ) #4

Thanks for the welcome :smile: I was literally taught that butter was the Devil by a professor about 8 years ago. I’ve already started telling people about keto and fasting. Spoke to a psychiatrist about it at work today, told him to look it up for its positive effect on mood disorders. Recommended it for a guy with epilepsy. And keto has stopped my own migraines, so I’ll recommend it for that too. I think I might just tell all patients with weight problems/epilepsy/migraines/diabetes/mood swings to jump aboard the keto train.

TBH I probably won’t shut up about it now…I am really enjoying all the info and support on these forums!

70 hours is pretty good. How long are you in for?

I did a 6 of 7 days water-only fast last week and lost more than 9 pounds. Re-fed for four days and only regained 3.5 pounds. Net loss of 6 pounds. Very happy.

Began another water-fast tonight. Aim to do 72+ hours.

Intend to follow you closely.

What is your specialty? Tell us a little more about yourself. I live down above in the U.S. (southern Louisiana). Interests this Cajun how many Aussies and Kiwis we have on this site.

(Lisa ) #6

Hi Ben. Nice to meet you! I am aiming for 7 days and will re-assess at that point.
I was working in Orthopaedics until I (ironically) came off my mountain bike and ruptured a ligament in my wrist of my dominant hand, so anything surgical is out for the time being while it’s in plaster.

I’ve also worked in psychiatry, general practice, neurology and general surgery. I am very interested in chronic pain management and anaesthetics - I feel that we don’t manage pain and the psychological implications very well here (myself being a chronic pain sufferer after botched surgery - but that’s another story!) So to summarise, a bit of everything! I really want to see if fasting will help my ligament recover more quickly than expected. Lisa

I don’t know how much it is going to heal ligament damage. But I do trust you are going to enjoy all the other benefits of very low carb and fasting.

My cardiologist is big into nutrition and encouraged me to go really low carb and some fasting. I had a heart attack 15 years ago so he will be surprised by my 50-pound weight loss when he finds out I have been water- fasting as well.

He admitted to me at my last checkup in August that he was getting more and more frustrated with just treating symptoms and not healing people. He also said, and I quote (and I am a retired newspaper editor) “It might just be anectodal but so many of my friends and family have succeeded on eating low carb that I think there has to be something there that really works. I want to know what it is.”

What is your opinions concerning that almost mythical and mystical state of autophagy?

(Lisa ) #9

I mentioned in an earlier post that I may be wishful thinking with the ligament damage. Although, anecdotally it seems that fasting promotes healing (plus I really don’t want to have it surgically repaired, so I’m crossing fingers and toes and hoping it will help lol).
I totally hear you about treating symptoms and not healing people. A big reason why I stayed away from general medicine. Your cardiologist sounds awesome.

(Lisa ) #10

To be honest, I will have to look at the literature and get back to you. I’ve read about it and seen many posts but not much with peer-reviewed lit to back it up. While my brain’s switched on with ketones, and I’m bored at home, I’ll do some research and see if I can come up with a definitive answer. I am currently leaning towards mythical unfortunately (I hope to be proven wrong).

One of the reasons I ask about autophagy is because of strict water-only fasting vs. adding some coffee with heavy whipping cream each day. The latter breaks a true water-fast, but is it that important to maintain the integrity of a strict water-only fast? The coffee/cream treat just might help one extend the overall fast much longer.

What is your regimen on your test fast? Strict water-only or some type of supplement outside of salt/electrolytes?

(Doug) #12

Ben, coffee actually induces autophagy in mice. Yes, we’re not mice, but we’re mammals just like they are. And - even going from yeast cells to humans, cellular processes have quite a bit of similarity. So I’m thinking that coffee ain’t a bad thing, as far as autophagy. Some cream in it - protein is the most potent inhibitor of autophagy, followed by carbohydrates. That little bit of fat in there… No sure proof here, but if it’s a question of extending a fast with cream in coffee, or ending the fast, then I think drinking the drink is the best course. Autophagy is heavily regulated by nutrient sensors, especially mTOR and AMPK, and I’ve yet to see a good argument that a little fat in coffee really alters the overall equations, there, in a fasting human. Insulin and glucagon also weigh on autophagy, and there too - some cream in your coffee - not a huge deal, in my opinion.

Convinced me, thanks — one teaspoon of HWC won’t inhibit weight loss for sure and that’s my goal in this round of fasting.

Autophagy will be a side benefit. I had all the autophagy I could handle last week. Lol.

(Lisa ) #14

Came back to the autophagy question answered - thanks for the info!!
Learning every hour at this rate :smile:

(Lisa ) #15

Good morning! Past the 80 hour mark now. Ketones 1.6 this morning at 0530, which is the highest morning reading I’ve ever had despite the dawn effect. Weight up 700g (ish), which makes sense as I drank a lot of salty water yesterday. I was listening to a podcast, in which the presenter suggested that a) bone broth will break your fast and b) having more than 50 calories will break your fast. I don’t think either of these are fact. I understand that many people do a water-only fast, but I definitely need some coffee with cream and I know I would struggle without it. Have added in some herbal tea to replace some of the coffee I’d usually drink. Will continue having 1-2 cups of chicken bone broth if needed. I will be attending a high-intensity gym class at midday and will update again on how that went. Have a great day! Lisa

(Lisa ) #16

Hi everyone! I have just posted elsewhere, but here’s the summary: I felt very hungry last night after HIIT every day this week, so I had a small amount of fat [spoiler](pork fat and streaky bacon)[/spoiler] and I feel much better this morning for it. Didn’t have a binge or carbs. Now at 108 hours. Weight it down again, about 5 pounds from my starting weight on Sunday. I had been keto for a month prior to starting this fast. Ketones 2.3 this morning. Dress size has dropped from a highest weight of US 20 (or NZ 24) to a US 6 (or NZ 10), which really puts things into perspective!

(Brian) #17

I lived in Cajun country for a decade or so, myself! A number of our family worked at Michoud when they were making the big tank for the Space Shuttle. :slight_smile:

Would probably still be there if Hurricane Katrina hadn’t done a number on us.

Either way, the Tony Chacheres has now become a part of my life! :smiley:

(Lisa ) #18

Right! So I took a break from the HIIT today and felt a helluva lot better. No hunger pangs at all, energy much better. Found a nice cocktail dress today, was the first figure-hugging dress I’ve worn in a LONG time. Ketones hanging around 3 all day, going to drink some more water and chill on the couch for the evening. Must be around 114 hours or more by now! Lisa

(Running from stupidity) #19

As someone with a chronic C2-C3 issue (motorbike accident) I couldn’t agree more.

(Lisa ) #20

Oh juice that sucks, sorry to hear that!! What are you doing to try manage the pain?