A Dedicated Section for Losing 100+ Pounds

Do you think there’s enough traffic and interest in such a section? It’s rather disheartening to read time and again about how someone has to lose 20 pounds in 3 weeks or they can’t go to their party or whatever… I think, 20 pounds, that would be nice. Here I am, I’ve already lost 60, and still have 100+ to go. Maybe in Progress or Health, a place where we can figure it out with others in a similar situation? Thanks for considering.

Hello, again
(Windmill Tilter) #2

Not it’s own section, but if you’re looking for inspiration, there us a great thread here called the centurions club. I’m hoping to join that one myself some day. :slight_smile:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/centurians-people-who-have-lost-more-than-100-lbs/27482

Not really looking for inspiration, but just others who have lots to lose as well, so we could just discuss and perhaps understand what is going better than someone needing to lose 20 pounds in desperation.

(Ashley) #4

I think it’s fine there’s plenty of us struggling. I’ve lost 60lbs but been stagnant for over a year (partly me losing and gaining with cheating) but I have completely cut that out! I need to lose about 60-70lbs but not quite 100!

Thanks for answering. Can I ask you two is-it-just-me or is-it-because-I-still-have-so-much-to-lose questions? 1. Do people notice you’ve lost weight? Nobody, including me, can tell I’ve lost any weight. I figure it’s because they see me and say to themselves, that’s one fat woman. I lose 60 pounds and they still look at me and say to themselves that’s one fat woman. I don’t know. and 2. Have you gotten any of the NSVs that people post about? I have been looking forward to having more energy, but I am as tired and lethargic as ever. Another big one I have been waiting for is feeling better and less pain; but nothing on that front either. What’s your experience been like?

(Ashley) #6

People have noticed on me that I lost weight. I didn’t initially notice it. But now that I have looked back through old pictures I can absolutely tell! We see ourselves differently to others. Sometimes it takes us longer than others. Do people still see me as fat? Sure they do because I still am. I still am overweight and have weight to lose, I’m fine with this because it’s true. The energy took awhile for me. Maybe your not eating enough fats with your meals? That’s our main energy source. Pain wise I haven’t seen any relief, but I have auto immune diseases so I know it can take longer to have relief and I also am realistic in knowing them issues may never get relief. Overall though I breathe better walking. I don’t feel as lethargic, I still do with my autoimmune issues but not as much as I used to. I have nights where I sleep okay and nights where I don’t but that’s not out of the ordinary. Nsv there’s been some, energy a bit, perception of myself has improved. I overall have a better mood and outlook on things. There’s probably others I’m forgetting right now. I think as you mess around and adjust keto to your liking things improve you have to find out what works for you!

Thanks for your thoughtful answer. It’s much appreciated.

(Windmill Tilter) #8

People have definitely noticed and commented. My peak weight was up around 280 a few years ago. I’m at about 230 right now. I’m targeting 180, so I’m half-way there. Probably a little more than halfway because I’ve put on a fair bit of muscle as well.

Find a photograph of an outfit you still have. Put it back on and take a picture. You’ll see that 60lbs right quick! I find it helpful to take a picture every month and compare it to where I started. Seeing them side by side keeps me motivated.

My blood sugar had been a mess for over 20 years. I used to have to eat constantly or I’d become hypoglycemic. Now I can happily go several days without eating, with high energy and a sharp mind. My A1C is 5.1. I have a family history of t2 diabetes, so this is a big win for me. I have more self confidence, and I no longer hide from cameras. When I started keto I suffered from terrible arthritic gout with several flare-ups a year. Since starting keto I’ve only had 1 flare-up, and that was when I left ketosis by going on a huge and drank a bunch of beer (can’t really blame that one on keto!). Keto has been good so far.

(Marianne) #9

I think it’s a great idea. Sometimes it’s nice to walk the journey with other people who have the same goal.

(Marianne) #10

I lost almost thirty pounds before somebody noticed, and it was only one person. Didn’t bother me. I love keto, eating keto, and what it has done for me. The food is so delicious, and physically I felt so much better almost immediately. Have lost almost 60 of my 80 lbs. now, just eating normal keto meals and feeling very satisfied. I love that with keto, I don’t obsess about my weight or the scale. I am losing in my body’s time. and will continue to eat keto after I reach goal. What a gift it has been.

Thanks for your answers. 1. I’ve gone from 310 to 250, so not much to notice, even at 5’1". My DIL and I were talking about it, and she said I’ve lost 60 pounds from the neck up. So yeah, even I can see a different in my no longer pudgy face. But no photos. My husband is an Artist and doesn’t take pictures of family and whatnot, so with me behind the camera, my photo albums look like a man raising 2 kids by himself. I don’t know where the site got hold of the picture it’s using as my avatar, but it is at least a couple of decades old. 2. I’m not much of a doctor visitor. Last time I was there (several years ago), I was pre-diabetic, had metabolic syndrome, arthritis, and kidney disease. I don’t have any idea if any of these things have gotten better. I assume so, but have no proof.

Thanks for answering. I didn’t get into this to lose weight to begin with. I discovered 13 years ago that sugar, wheat, rice, and potatoes were major triggers for my migraines. This is the third time I’ve lost this (almost) same 100 pounds. So I went on this diet in August because the migraines were back up to daily. So I will continue keto to not only keep the migraines at bay, but to heal a SAD body. But I do wish I would start to feel better and get some of that legendary energy soon.

(Mary) #13

Relief from migraines would be enough to keep me 100% compliant, even if there was no other benefit. Nothing like a migraine to keep you from living a happy life…

Agreed, but I always seem to forget that after not having them for a while. Stupid brain. :face_with_head_bandage:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #15

Hi Gesine. Let me look into that for you. If we create it, I think will probably be under the Community category and I’ll move your thread there.

Thanks for even considering it!

(FRANK) #17

I’ve got a hundred to go. Could use some words of wisdom & guidance. I am inspired though, after months of not producing any meaningful ketones, I registered 1.2 which is HUGe for me. May have finally found what works for me.

Best wishes to all members of the “100LB Club”

(Susan) #18

I started Keto in February at 293 pounds, with a lot of health ailments, that have all significantly improved thus far. I had extremely high blood pressure, (was about to have to go on meds for that, my asthma, arthritis and joint pain have all improved dramatically).

I have lost a total of 57 pounds so far, I weight 236 and have weighed that for over a month now. I have recently incorporated much more aerobics and stretching type exercise daily --with a T-Tap Rehab Video. I did miss a few days this week, because I am really sick atm with a bad cold/flu virus. This is; however, the sickest I have been since starting Keto. I just completed a 91 hour fast today,with only water, herbal teas and no calories, and I didn’t lose any weight at all -which has happened to be before as well, so doesn’t surprise me.

I saw a doctor this morning and told her I had lost 57 pounds and that I want to lose down to 130 and she told me that that is far too low --so we will see over time. I seem to lose about 1 pound every 2 months now, even though I keep my carbs low (always under the 20 grams, I never eat any sugar, only have some sugar substitutes on special occasions, and even then only a little). We will see how long it takes my body to lose this weight, I am expecting it to take maybe 3 years? I am Keto for life, so the slow and steady turtle won the race, so I am on that path =).

I agree Frank. That’s why I asked about having a section just for us. We all must have been through a lot and could use a place to share our wisdom and receive some guidance from people who’ve been through it as well.

Thanks for responding, Susan. I noticed that we started close to the same weight, and we’ve both lost close to the same weight so far. Glad to hear you’re losing now, even if slowly. Congratulations on that!