A Couple BBQ Sauces

(Michael) #1

I have a couple BBQ sauces that I used to make up regularly that I have adapted to fit into my new way of eating and thought I would share them with you all.

White BBQ Sauce (mayo base)

1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbls lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbls swerve (or sugar substitute of your choice)
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

This was originally a copy-cat recipe of Big Bob Gibson’s white BBQ sauce from my state of Alabama. Not the biggest horseradish fan so I left it out, but the original had 1/2 tsp of prepared horseradish if that’s your thing. This goes really well on smoked chicken, and I also used to mix it with my red BBQ sauce on pulled pork and it was delicious. Although I haven’t quite figured out how to adapt my ketchup based sauce because… ketchup.

Anyway, for this sauce just mix everything together and pour it into a squeeze bottle and refrigerate before use.

Yellow BBQ Sauce (mustard base)

1 cup mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup swerve (or sweetener of choice, and to taste. I’m not a huge mustard fan so I like it on the sweeter side)
1 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
a pinch of ground clove

Originally I used a lot of honey and brown sugar. I was going through my cupboard trying to figure out what to go in place of it and settled on clove for some reason. I don’t know if it affects the overall taste much at all, as I’ve only made it this way once, but this turned out well. Like I said I like it on the sweeter side so adjust accordingly for your tastes.

I put all the ingredients into a saucepan and simmer for about 15 minutes and then transfer to a squeeze bottle.

If anyone has any ideas on improving them feel free to throw out some ideas. As far as I know the only carbs are gonna be coming from the mayo and mustard. Both my bottles claim 0 but I’m a bit skeptical. Still, I don’t think it’s gonna have very many. Correct me if I am wrong!

(Robin) closed #4