A Carb addict finally figures out how to stay on the horse, hopefully!

(Sondra Rose) #1

Hi, My name is Sondra and I am a carb addict. :joy::

I’ve been Keto off and on for the last 7 years. A practicing “Dirty Carnivore” for the last few years; eating mostly animal products, with plants as condiments, since I have FODMAPS intolerance.

What I finally realized is every time I fell off, I had allowed sweet tasting foods into my diet, while still staying under 20 gm carbs a day. Even Erythritol triggered carb cravings!

After 54 years, I figure I have had enough sweet-tasting foods to last me a few more lifetimes. Big shift in mind-set! I no longer feel like I am depriving myself.

I transitioned back to zero carb last week, upping my electrolytes and doubling my Magnesium. No sweet foods. No carb cravings!!!

This feels so easy and after 9 days I am feeling the clarity of mind I have been seeking. And I dropped all my holiday weight already. My satiation signals are working really well and I don’t feel a need to eat outside of a 4 hour window most of the time.

(Becky) #2

Wonderful! I’ve been playing around with keto treats since the holidays and see that I’m eating way more often. It did help me not dive face down into sugar and flour, but I know I’m eating ‘just because’ and that is a slippery slope.

(Liz ) #3

Hi! I’m an addict too and I did the same thing, eliminate sweet tasting things & it really helped me as well. I’ve been doing it so long that low carb is a habit for me by now but I succeed more easily when I don’t have to find the willpower to stay on plan.

(mike) #4

[quote=“SondraRose, post:1, topic:27573”]
Even Erythritol triggered carb cravings!
[/quote]This is what i belive trips many of us up. The desire to eat sweets which we think are okay because they don’t really have carbs. The problem is these are likely triggering insulin and either stalling or increasing weight.

I too am a carb addict. My resolution has been to remove even the artificial sweeteners.

(Mel Soule) #5

Me too. And there is some science to show why. Cephalic insulin release can be triggered by sweet tasting things. After the insulin pop, what happens? Appetite goes up? Feels like the bad old days, bet ya can’t eat just one.

This is a neat study showing oral exposure and insulin release, insulinogenisis from taste only not swallowing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18556090

(Sondra Rose) #6

Almost 3 weeks back on the horse and doing GREAT!

I’m so amazed that my satiety signals are finally working as they should. I’ve had a couple of “Hungry” days and ate to satisfaction, but most of the days it been hard to eat more than one meal. :slight_smile:

My formerly stubborn lower belly fat is starting to melt away! No cravings and I couldn’t sit down to eat until 1 pm yesterday, so it ended up being a 24 hour fast.

(James Taylor) #7

I was doing well. Cruised right through Thanksgiving. Got through Christmas and bang had a bunch of social events and have been struggling for the last 6 weeks. Trying to get back on the horse.

(Liz ) #8

Cheering you on!