Amount of glucose in a cooled potato?

Hi,

So ive been looking into cooled potatoes recently. Ive been avoiding starchy carbs and all sugar to try and regain balance with my gut micro biome. I also have a recurring fungal infection on my foot so i wouldnt be surprised if there was some sort of systemic yeast overgrowth. Potatotes and sugar make the fungal infection grow like crazy - but im tempted to try a cold potato. At the moment im struggling with LC/HF and not sure if its right for me. the only thing stopping me is that i dont want any systemic bacteria to feed of these foods.

My question in once a potato has cooled how much of the glucose is turned into resistant starch? is it all of just some?

Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue?

8pm on BBC tonight - The Truth About Carbs

I don’t know he answer to your question (exactly how much digestible starch is left when you cool it) but I think there are a number of factors - type of potato, etc - so you might just want to find another source of resistant starch if you want to go that route.
Fungal overgrowth should calm down when you stop feeding it. How long have you been avoiding starches and sugars? (and how many grams/day of carbs are you getting?)

(Doug) #3

Hi Andy. I don’t think there is much glucose (or “sugar,” per se) in a potato - looks like a little less than 1% by weight.

Potatoes are roughly 80% water, and starches make up most of what’s left - you take out the water, fiber and sugar, and almost all of what you have left is digestible starch, around 15%. That’s why potatoes have a high glycemic index.

Some of that starch will turn into “resistant starch” after being heated and then cooled, but I can’t find out how much. No question that resistant starch is good for some gut bacteria, and that it has benefits in satiety and when blood sugar and insulin levels are a concern. I’m wondering how much digestible starch is left in a potato after being heated and cooled.

the reason i want to eat a potato is to replenish glycogen levels as im feeling pretty drained. since stopping sugar and carbs the fungal infection on my foot is under control - i hope it stays that way.

Up until now ive been having about 30 net grams of carbs per day

How long have you been low carb?

(Rhonda) #6

Hot baked potatoes contain about 3.5% resistant starch. If it is chilled, the resistant starch increases to 4.7-5.4%. If it is reheated, some of the resistant starch degrades and it then contains 3.8-4.3% resistant starch. That means that there is still a TON of high glycemic starch that turns into glucose when it is digested in the small intestine. This data was published in Food Chemistry in 2016 by Susan Raatz et al. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.03.120_

(Todd Allen) #7

If you track your blood sugar with a meter you ought to be able to see what is going on. You’ll at least see if you over do it and spike your blood sugar. If your blood sugar isn’t actually low, say below 60 mg/dl, ingesting carbs to raise it higher and feel better probably isn’t the healthiest choice and hopefully you can find and stick to the minimum that you need.

(Doug) #8

Ouch. Rhonda, it figures. :slightly_frowning_face: In looking at what I see listed as a medium potato, 213 grams or 7.5 ounces, that means a range for digestible starch of 35.7 grams down to 35.0 grams, not much difference at all.

(Raj Seth) #9

I don’t understand why you want to replenish the glycogen - feeling drained is standard for carb withdrawal aka keto flu - water & salt prettly much fix that in most cases - try that first - the infection is doing better without being fed, so stay with the winning strategy…

your feelings are more likely due to eletrolyte issues, not glycogen depletion.

fuck potatoes

(Rhonda) #11

That’s right - not much of a difference and certainly not worth the 35 grams of high glycemic starch. If you want to get resistant starch, there are much better options.

It’s not. If your struggling with eating LCHF the last thing you should do is eat something counterproductive to this WOE, there is no reality in which that is a good idea. Eat foods the are GOOD for this WOE! Which in turn, will ease your hard time.

(Victoria Mc Coy) #13

Speaking of resistant starch, has anyone ever tried taking this? If so, how - and what effects did you see?

(What The Fast?!) #14

KetoConnect did a potato starch experiment. You can see it here:

ive been relativley low carb for around a year or so, but only tried to go realy low (under 30/40 grams) recently. I have been doing that for around a week until i felt i needed carbs

what do you mean WOE?

in terms of water and salt, are these things i should be increasing and if so how much by?

Way of eating

If your drinking enough, your drinking enough, many people aren’t. As far as salt (typically) many of us are around the 5g mark, many higher. Without carbs, salt is your friend. The Salt Fix is an interesting book if you’re a reader.