8 months on Keto and have steadily gained weight - troubleshooting ideas?

(Candy Lind) #18

Are you tracking at all right now? What are your macros and about how many calories are you ingesting? Sometimes when you’re at maintenance, you can unintentionally let things “creep” without realizing it. A week or two of tracking might help you find your issue.

I personally am a horrible over-eater and will probably have to track my food at least occasionally, just to keep from creeping back up on my consumption. I have to stay accountable in some way. At least in the keto way of eating, I don’t have to starve while doing it!

(Diane) #19

I found a Dexa scan really helpful. If you decide you might be interesed: I googled “Dexa scan for body composition” in my area and found a place that did it without a doctor’s order. The price was $47 ($67 minus a $20 coupon). These have the reputation of being very accurate.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #20

Thanks,

1. I don’t measure much but a few weeks ago I did for a couple of days and I was shocked at how low my carbs were! But since I don’t weigh my food every day it is possible.
  2. I only eat OMAD and eat in a 2 hour window. I don’t drink coffee, teas and do not consume anything else. Just straight water and salt during the day. Up until 4 months ago, I had been doing weekly 3 day fasts but once I reached my goal weight, my ability to do it seemed impossible. I than just naturally fell into the OMAD (mostly during the work week due to the chaos of life).

Honestly, up until I started gaining weight, I was happy with my weight and how I looked. There’s a tiny bit of meat on me but the fact I fit in size 4 pants with no muffin top is enough celebration for me!

So could insulin be an issue? Sure, but like Megan Ramos says, IF should be getting me there. So as much as I try, doing a longer fast now seems too hard. I get cold, my brain gets foggy and the only way I can do it is by shoveling some plain coconut oil in my mouth (I managed 48 hours a few weeks ago). Doesn’t seem worth it at that point. It’s a shame, because I loved EF and how I used to feel on it!

The only thing I can think of is what was mentioned above by @TNTDyno and that I am gaining muscle.

(Jan) #21

I have no idea if this is relevant, but I’ll put it out there…
I was doing great, losing weight, bg getting better & better, etc. Then started getting a bit hungry, started regaining weight, losing energy. Thought it was a plateau. Turns out I found a new sf vanilla coffee syrup about that time. I finally figured out that it was giving me an insulin spike -not much, but enough to affect things. I realized this when I used it to whip up some hwc for a treat. My bg should have bumped up a bit ( I ate a lot) but instead it dropped!
I cut out my vanilla syrup, and everything is back to where it should be.

(Diane) #22

I remember Megan from IDM saying that OMAD over the long run can reset your basal metabolic rate lower. So even though everything else is the same, your body is budgeting your energy expenditure to a lower rate. This would make it possible to gain weight even though you’re eating the same caloric intake where you were previously maintaining. She says to mix it up. Maybe feast a little more sometimes. Upping your food intake while keeping it ketogenic to reset your BMR back to a higher level.

The same idea applies to caloric restriction over time. Your body might see it as a sign to conserve energy.

Just a thought. Hope it helps. Good luck! And Keto on!

(Candy Lind) #23

It sounds like you’re pretty much doing “incidental carbs” so I doubt that is the problem. Too low is never an issue. :wink:

OMAD :+1: EF addressed below.

You know, as a member of the Vintage Ladies Keto Klub, it’s all I can do to hold my tongue when I read this. :grimacing::cold_sweat::scream::exploding_head::rofl:

It sounds like your body composition is settling in to where it wants to be (NOT where you PERCEIVE it should be). If you can do a 48-hour fast with the help of a few spoons of fat, then keep doing that for the autophagy and energy benefits, and let it be enough.

That could well be! Maybe you can find one of those body pods somewhere nearby and get a scan.

I hope some of my musings help you tweak your N=1 to a better place! :crossed_fingers:

(Candy Lind) #24

GREAT CATCH.

(Erica) #25

Thanks for the idea!

(Erica) #26

Keto has lots of non-weight health befefits (as you probably know!) so that’s what I was looking for in starting Keto (not weight loss).

(Pete A) #27

I hear ya. I’m not interested in losing scale weight and also focusing on body composition. I second the suggestion for a DEXA scan. I haven’t done one yet, and am looking at getting a $30 hand held body fat loss monitor to have a more relevant way to gauge progress

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FYZMYK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

(Erica) #28

Hi Nicole and Candy -
Nicole, I’m sorry you’re experiencing this too! It’s really strange to me based on all the podcasts and reading I’ve done. I’m like you - getting really nervous since the trend seems to be continuing.
Candy, thank you for your ideas about insulin. I just had an insulin test done this week. Do you know what numbers I should be looking for? Maybe I should try a carnivore-type diet for a week as an experiment? Or just try to drop my carbs as much as I can? Thank you for your ideas!

(GregoryJames) #29

I already know you are probably eating over your maintenance calories by eating more fat than your body really need and probably not getting enough. So the solution is just eat less fats and keep your protein moderate.

Also, how much fat are you consuming a day?

(Erica) #30

Thanks for your feedback, Karl. Yes I’d definitely say I’m putting on fat - I used to be so much more toned (and I’m exercising the same amount). I just eat 1 - 2 meals a day and have dropped all the Keto sweets and no longer have fatty coffees. I don’t think I’m overeating, but it’s definitely possible. Maybe I can track with an app for a few weeks and see how my eating routines are actually playing out.

(Erica) #31

Thanks, Tessy.

(Erica) #32

I think you’re right, Candy. I will try tracking for a few weeks and see what comes up. My carbs are really minimal but maybe it’s just too much food intake overall. Really appreciate your thoughts on all of this.

(Erica) #33

Wow that’s really interesting. Maybe I should keep cutting out my stevia too…

(Jan) #34

So far, stevia is not giving me an insulin bump. But everyone is different. The sweeteners in my coffee syrup are ace k (acesulfame potassium) and sucralose. And they’re in everything!

(Candy Lind) #35

Ace K affects a lot of people; sucralose (pure) not so much. Many don’t realize that Splenda has maltodextrin in it, which spikes blood glucose higher than sugar. If a product says it contains sucralose, it’s the pure stuff; if it says Splenda, it has maltodextrin, too.

(Karen) #36

Not sure but I think SplendaZero is pretty pure.

Was going to say this! OMAD is great but it should not be every day. Some days 2, some days none if you can manage it, some days feast a little

Just read a magazine article in Woman’s World while waiting in line at the supermarket about “Turbo Keto” from Dr. Eric Berg. Not someone I follow normally but he had suggestions about changing your eating window every 3 days