8 months on Keto and have steadily gained weight - troubleshooting ideas?

(Erica) #1

Hi there - I would love to hear if anyone else has had this situation and what you did to move forward. I have been Keto for 8 months. I started for the health benefits - clear thinking and the benefit of having Ketones in the body.

When I began Keto, I was a healthy weight or maybe just up a few pounds (5’2" and 112 lbs. PRE-Keto - I have a very small frame and that was a really healthy weight for me). Over the past 8 months, since starting Keto, I have steadily gained 10 lbs. and continue to get bigger! (I’m up over 122 lbs and gaining.)

I totally understand that some people need to heal first, but I had no digestive, hormonal, or other issues. I just added Keto for the additional feel-good, function-well benefits.

While the nonscale victories are of course the most important, it also matters to me that I’m 10 pounds heavier. I’ve tried: 1 and 2 day fasts each week, intermittent fasting, tracking and not tracking calories, and more. I rarely drop out of Ketosis (maybe 1x/month). My sleep is fantastic. I’ve massively reduced my stress and do Headspace almost everyday. I’ve always been a consistent exerciser and I still am. I also test my blood sugar and it’s stable and doesn’t fluctuate much with my Keto meals.

I really don’t want to quit Keto, but my body doesn’t move very well anymore with the extra weight. Any suggestions?? I would be most appreciative!!

(Candy Lind) #2

Need input! Height and age, please? Pre- or post-menopausal? You are not hypothyroid or anything else you’re taking meds for?

(Erica) #3

Thanks for asking! About to turn 37 years old. No children/not pregnant. No medications at all.
5 foot 2 inches. Anything else that would help you advise??

(Erica) #4

One additional note is that it’s not a specific weight number that I care about! I know some people gain muscle and loose fat or they loose inches without loosing weight. But I’m actually gaining inches, clothes sizes, etc.!

(Bunny) #5

Wow that is low! You are at (or were) an optimal low! If you lose 10 more pounds and exceed the 108 weight mark, you would be under weight for your height? The reason you are not losing weight, may be, because you have no fat left to burn? The weight your trying to lose may be muscle mass or lean body mass? In a catabolic state (Ketosis) with no fat to burn, you run the risk of your body cannibalizing muscle including your heart in the process?

(Allie) #6

Sounds like your body is fixing itself in the way it needs to.

(Erica) #7

Hey! Thanks for your thoughts. Actually I was 112 lbs - a perfect healthy weight for my body type/bone structure - BEFORE starting Keto. Now I’m up over 122 lbs and still getting heavier. I would LOVE to still be 112 lbs. :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #8

125 or more is perfect for your height!

(Karen) #9

My sister did Atkins. She lost weight but if she had carbs it turned into Fatkins. Try a carnivore week ,or try an IF

K

(Pete A) #10

You didn’t like being a perfect healthy weight? :thinking:

(Nicole Sawchuk) #11

Oh my I am in a similar situation so I thank you for bringing this up! I am 5’8" and 39 years old. Have been keto for almost a year and lost 30 lbs! I was at what I would call maintenance. But since January, I have started gaining weight and now I am up to 8 lbs! Doesn’t sound like much but it doesn’t feel right either. I will throw in my measurements are relatively steady. My blood glucose levels are low. I exercise for 20 minutes maybe twice a week with weights.
So why am I letting the scale scare me? Things are starting to get tighter.

So just like you @Erica1 has anyone had this happen after being maintenance and steady on keto?

(Scott Telfer) #12

What’s Headspace? I agree with commentators above, sounds like keto is taking you back to where nature and genetics feels you are optimal :slight_smile:

(Allie) #13

It’s a meditation app. I prefer Calm, it’s cheaper and very good.

(Scott Telfer) #14

Thanks I’ll have a look :slight_smile:

(Karl) #15

If I eat too much, I gain weight, even on keto. I can’t do the “eat fat to satiety” thing or my weight increases fairly quickly and I’m not comfortable with that.

But that’s me. Not saying you’re overeating, but it seems a lot of people seem to consider keto a free pass to eat without limits, which I suppose is going to happen when one of the basic keto virtues is “eat fat to satiety”.

Does your gain feel like you’re putting on body fat, or is it impossible to tell?

(Tessy M.) #16

IMHO, ideal weight is not an exact science and can be as skewed as BMI. Might I suggest getting a DEXA scan to find out exactly how your bones, fat and muscle contribute to your weight? You can use that to find a real firm number, say 15-%20% body fat.

Remember, you can gain inches by gaining muscle. You’re fasting, and science has shown that women who fast have increased growth hormone making it easier to put on muscle.

(Candy Lind) #17

The first two things I thought of were:

1. “carb creep” - do you think your carb levels have crept up without your realizing it? I know I have to keep mine really low or I stall or gain. And I still have a lot to lose!

2. going along with the carb theory - “My blood glucose levels are low” doesn’t necessarily mean your insulin levels are low, and that is what allows the release of fat from storage. Do you fast at all? Richard says he has to fast 48 hours to get his insulin level low enough to release fat and give him the “energy rush”. Maybe you are still insulin-resistant enough to build up what I call “The Berlin Wall” of insulin that is preventing fat release. Check out this topic and follow over to where @richard talks about his IR.

(Candy Lind) #18

Are you tracking at all right now? What are your macros and about how many calories are you ingesting? Sometimes when you’re at maintenance, you can unintentionally let things “creep” without realizing it. A week or two of tracking might help you find your issue.

I personally am a horrible over-eater and will probably have to track my food at least occasionally, just to keep from creeping back up on my consumption. I have to stay accountable in some way. At least in the keto way of eating, I don’t have to starve while doing it!

(Diane) #19

I found a Dexa scan really helpful. If you decide you might be interesed: I googled “Dexa scan for body composition” in my area and found a place that did it without a doctor’s order. The price was $47 ($67 minus a $20 coupon). These have the reputation of being very accurate.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #20

Thanks,

1. I don’t measure much but a few weeks ago I did for a couple of days and I was shocked at how low my carbs were! But since I don’t weigh my food every day it is possible.
  2. I only eat OMAD and eat in a 2 hour window. I don’t drink coffee, teas and do not consume anything else. Just straight water and salt during the day. Up until 4 months ago, I had been doing weekly 3 day fasts but once I reached my goal weight, my ability to do it seemed impossible. I than just naturally fell into the OMAD (mostly during the work week due to the chaos of life).

Honestly, up until I started gaining weight, I was happy with my weight and how I looked. There’s a tiny bit of meat on me but the fact I fit in size 4 pants with no muffin top is enough celebration for me!

So could insulin be an issue? Sure, but like Megan Ramos says, IF should be getting me there. So as much as I try, doing a longer fast now seems too hard. I get cold, my brain gets foggy and the only way I can do it is by shoveling some plain coconut oil in my mouth (I managed 48 hours a few weeks ago). Doesn’t seem worth it at that point. It’s a shame, because I loved EF and how I used to feel on it!

The only thing I can think of is what was mentioned above by @TNTDyno and that I am gaining muscle.