74 hours into a fast NO weight loss

(Auden) #1

Hi, why would someone be 74 hours into a fast and lose no weight? Per day she is consuming 2 coffees with a small amount of HWC. Drinking sparkling mineral water with salt and taking an electrolyte supplement. She exercises 30 minutes of cardio every AM. She is fat-adapted. Thank you!

This has actually happened to me a few times too. Oddly, the morning after breaking my fast, I’d be a few pounds lighter, and each time about 50% of that weight loss stuck around too, just as you’d expect. But no weight loss on the fasting days themselves. I’m not sure why it happens (maybe fluid balance?), wasn’t even sure if it was just me but I don’t care so long as it works. :smile:

(Auden) #3

Hmm. That’s interesting. Hopefully that’s what happens! Thank you!!

(Raj Seth) #4

The first 1.5 day and 3 day fast I ever did, I gained weight. It came off after I broke my fast. Im guessing I was over hydrating (out of paranoia), and as soon as I resumed eating, went back to normal.

(Auden) #5

Thank you! She broke the fast after 4.5 days and her weight went down 2 pounds! It sounds like that’s normal for some people.

(Raj Seth) #6

on a 0 calorie fast, using 2000 cals/day as typical BMR, one should expect to lose 1/2 lb fat / day net of refeed regain. 1/2 lb fat = 227 gms * 9 = 2043 calories.
Any variations beyond that are not fat gain/loss…
However, if the fat loss is accompnaied by muscle gain, then one can easily net less than 1/2 lb a day of weight - but that does not mean that fat loss was less…

(Justin Jordan) #7

I weighed slightly more this morning than I did yesterday, and I’ve been fasting since Saturday.

Basically, water weight.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

I’d of said water weight too. Weight loss is not linear, including whilst fasting.
I would just say her fat cells were holding onto the water and waiting for the whoosh.