72+ hour fasting

(Katie) #1

I want to share my experience.

I started keto about 3 months ago. After the first month I was just naturally moving to 2 meals a day…I just wasn’t hungry before early afternoon. Then a month ago I was doing OMAD because I wasn’t hungry for any more than that.

I was worried about even trying a longer fast. But…then 2 days ago I just decided to skip the meal altogether. It wasn’t hungry. The next day I felt great…and not hungry. I am now at 72 hours and still going…and still now hungry.

I believe that once I was fully fat adapted, my body just knows how to burn my own body fat for fuel…and I don’t yet need to add more fuel.

I wonder where this will take me.

I am drinking dr. Bergs electrolytes and taking extract potassium, magnesium, and sea salt. I learned a few weeks back that I lacked them and was having irregular heart beats…since adding all those minerals that has gone completely away.

Does drinking electrolytes break a fast? I do not mean drop me out of Ketosis…I know it doesn’t…I mean, does it stop the fast from the prospective of autophagy?

(Marianne) #2

Wow; good for you! I have done 48 hours fasts now once a week for about a month, but I cannot imagine doing 72. I am afraid to try it. I’m sure I will at some point, but not really looking forward to it. I get slightly “hungry” doing 48, although I think it’s fake hunger and just wanting the sensation of eating. It’s at dinnertime on the first day and usually because I am not doing anything. It passes, though, and then the rest of the time I don’t have any problem.

(Katie) #3

I was afraid to try it too. I thought the second night without food would leave me tossing and turning and felling lousy. Didn’t happen.

Maybe I should start to worry at some point that I am not hungry.

The big question is…is taking electrolyte drink [Dr Bergs) cause me to drop out of autophagy? Since that is the big benefit i want to make sure I don’t mess it up

(Marianne) #4

I don’t think you have to worry whatsoever about not feeling hungry - I believe that is an indication that you are fat adapted and that is what your body is using for fuel.

As far as the Dr. Berg’s drink, I’m sure some folks here can weigh in. Does it have artificial sweetener? How do you feel about drinking salt water? Kind of nasty, but you get used to it. Now it’s a treat for me to drink a plain glass of water, and I used to despise plain water.

(Carl Keller) #5

This does contain stevia and stevia can cause an insulin spike. The amounts you are drinking in one serving are probably pretty insignificant though. This won’t affect your fasted state very much but I’m honestly not sure what it would mean for autophagy. There’s so much about autophagy that is unknown.

Congrats on your spontaneous and easy 72 hour fast. :slight_smile:

How do we reconcile needing a certain amount of protein per day with fasting for 72+ hours? Either we don’t really need the protein or we will lose lean body mass - we cant have it both ways.

(Katie) #7

Well, we can. The misunderstanding is in what the body is doing to feed itself…it is pulling from fat stores and once autophagy begins the destruction of old, damaged, sick cells…plus virus and other foreign stuff begins,

Think about it…it was pretty common 300,000 years ago to eat only once every couple days. If our bodies were built to begin tearing apart the very muscle we need to go hunt … the. We wouldn’t even exist today. No…fasting increases metabolism and then fuel our system to be able to go hunt day after day without food.

It is a bit of a tough read at first…but go read the papers written by the doctor who won the Nobel prize. They don’t hand that prize out for nonsense or for unproved work.

300k years ago was an ice age so you could keep meat indefinitely. You must remember that this was a big planet back then so just maybe only those with very good food sources survived but I’m not saying I actually believe any of that stuff about evolution. There was always a lot of FISH available and small animals. Native Americans did quite well with just sticks and stones only a few hundred years ago and they probably did not evolve much. They moved around on foot (no horses until the Spanish brought them) and they ate PLANTS as well. They had a LOT of medicinal plants.

But lets be more scientific and less anecdotal. Just who got the Nobel Prize and for what? It’s hard to look up without a name or subject.

(Katie) #9

Yoshinori Ohsumi, 71, will receive the prestigious 8m Swedish kronor (£718,000) award for uncovering “mechanisms for autophagy”, a fundamental process in cells that scientists believe can be harnessed to fight cancer and dementia.

Autophagy is the body’s internal recycling programme - scrap cell components are captured and the useful parts are stripped out to generate energy or build new cells. The process is crucial for preventing cancerous growths, warding off infection and, by maintaining a healthy metabolism, it helps protect against conditions like diabetes.

Yoshinori Ohsumi wins Nobel prize in medicine – as it happened

Read more

Dysfunctional autophagy has been linked to Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer and a host of age-related disorders. Intense research is underway to develop drugs that can target autophagy to treat various diseases.

Speaking to reporters in Tokyo on Monday, Ohsumi said: “As a boy, the Nobel Prize was a dream, but after starting my research, it was out of my picture.”

Advertisement

He said he chose to focus on the cell’s waste disposal system, an unfashionable subject at the time, because he wanted to work on something different.

“I don’t feel comfortable competing with many people, and instead I find it more enjoyable doing something nobody else is doing,” he added. “In a way, that’s what science is all about, and the joy of finding something inspires me.”

Ohsumi, who was in his lab when he received the phone call from Thomas Perlmann, secretary of the Nobel Committee, admitted to being in a “slight state of shock” about the news.

The word autophagy originates from two Greek words meaning “self-eating”. It refers to the process in which cellular junk is captured and sealed in sack-like membranes, called autophagosomes. The sealed contents are transported to another structure called the lysosome, once considered little more than the cellular rubbish bin.

Read more

By studying the process in yeast cells, Ohsumi identified the main genes involved in autophagy and showed how the proteins they code for come together to build the autophagosome membrane. He later showed that a similar cellular recycling process occurs in human cells - and that our cells would not survive without it.

Juleen Zierath, a member of the Nobel committee, said: “Every day we need to replace about 200 to 300g of protein in our bodies… We are eating proteins every day, about 70g, but that’s not enough to take care of the requirement to make new proteins. Because of this machinery, we’re able to rely on some of our own proteins, maybe the damaged proteins or the long-lived proteins, and they are recycled with this sophisticated machinery so that we can sustain and we survive.”

(Katie) #10

That was just the announcement…his work is widely available on the web…even several noted doctors have a pod cast, and Ted talks

(Katie) #11

Just to a lookup…autophagy and fasting.

Did you read: “Autophagy is also achievable through intermittent fasting just as easily as longer fasts. Autophagy begins when liver glycogen is depleted, around 12-16 hours into a fast. The rate of autophagy peaks there, and then drops after about 2 days” It seems then that many short fasts would be better than a few long fasts. There’s a diminishing return and a lot of stress put on the body with longer fasts that me be harmful as Dr Stephen Phinney says.

Dr. Stephen Phinney - 'Metabolic Effects of Fasting: A Two-Edged Sword’

(Jane) #13

The peak and drop off of autophagy you mentioned - were these mouse or human studies this is based on?

(Marianne) #14

Yes! Miraculous thing, the body.

:innocent: