7 days into 30'ish day Extended Fast

fasting

Hi - Sassa here…

I’ve lurked for a while, but thought it’d be best to incorporate you all through this little quest.

Widowed single soccer mom late’ish 40’s executive professional changing careers keto losing happy fat trying to date raise a daughter a puppy put food on the table master eyeliner and get the lawn mower started without going bat crap crazy. That pretty much sums me up…

After the hubs passed, I gained a butt-ton of weight over the course of 3 years, woke up one day just… fat. Collegiate athlete, active runner, who shut down everything but survival. Thyroid broke, hormones dried up, adrenals shot… pretty much akin to a walking zombie.

The next 3 years was coming out of that apocalypse. I’m proud to say I’ve lost 40 pounds via Keto WOE, and have in the last 3 months (the power of 3 eh?) have stopped my thyroid meds and synthetic hormones, and have never felt better.

I’ve done IF on and off, and have done a couple of 3, 7, and 15 fasts, and have felt amazing after each.

The holidays have always imposed a certain melancholy for me, and this year is no different. I feel as if I have slopped off the sludge of the past 6 years nicely, but am looking to completely reset myself to base, per se. Plus I’d like to get the last 40 pounds off and more than likely do a mommy makeover. My daughter is an avid soccer star, so without being too crass, while I’d like to be really healthy, I also want to be a soccer MILF (you’ll find I’m humorous but starkly blunt). You’ve been warned.

So, starting last night at 6pm EST, nothing has entered my mouth barring water, tea, and as of this morning - coffee. The goal is 30 days - and yes, over Christmas and New Years no doubt. I need the focus.

No one knows I am doing this, cause I just do not need nor will I take the yapping about how and why it is so bad to do, much less “this time of year”. Personality wise, I’m somewhat of a force to be reckoned with, so it will be easy enough to fake partaking in the holiday fixins’.

So - hello there :grinning: I figure I will be good for the entertainment if nothing else. I’m totally open to feedback, a little criticism if necessary, and welcome humor, wit, and motivation! I give the same.

I’m putting together all of my stats, my awesome doc knows what I’m doing, so mommas ready to roll.

Tentative plan:
Fitbit - 10-15K steps a day - gotta walk the pup and the kid
Fitbit - sleep and heart rate - for fun
Kettlebells - 10 swings 3-5 times a day, more if I’m up to it
Withings Scale - I’ll be tracking weight and BMI using this - know neither are “accurate” - this also links to the Libra app which I love.
Omron Fat loss monitor - tracks fat and BMI - just for fun
Electrolytes - I follow the keto suggestions for magnesium, potassium, and sodium, and will tweak as needed
Self-Love - aromatic salt bathes, slatherings of yummy good lotions, dry brushing and fluffy socks

I’ll be posting here daily, and keeping a spreadsheet of the following - anything I should add, please by all means let me know!

Spreadsheet:
Date & Time
Days / Hours fasted
Weight
Menses
Kettlebells
Steps, Sleep, Heart - Withings & Omron Fat & BMI
Intake in type and Ozs
Supplements
Notes

For full transparency - I vape, and have no desire to stop that at the moment, it’s my mental wooby of sorts.

Off we go!
Sassa

(Stacy ) #2

HI Sassa, I have tried fasting before, but have only made it through the 24 hours once. How long are you planning on fasting in between your meals? Do you find fasting beneficial to really kick starting ketosis?

(Teresa (turtle)) #3

Hi Sassa! I am very interested in following you on your 30 day fasting journey!

Hi Stacy,

Everyone refers to fasting differently, and what they are fasting “from”. I won’t be eating meals aka anything solid - the goal is to only drink water, tea, and coffee which I refuse to ever give up. It’s the little things you know?

So no solid foods, and only the liquids I listed above. When I start a fast, I sometimes add half a teaspoon of coconut oil to my coffee, and sometimes a little heavy whipping cream (HWC). This morning, I only added half a teaspoon of HWC to my coffee, and a smidge of stevia. I often times ween off of this, sometimes I keep it the entire time.

I am not against a broth here or there, and more than likely due to the cold, will incorporate this more than not. It just depends on how I feel. I also adore heating all of my liquids when I fast and it’s cold out. On rare occasion I’ll add a tad of lemon juice to my tea or hot water.

Sass

(Stacy ) #5

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I am on a new start up and anything helps!

As long as you have good jokes :wink:

(VLC.MD) #7

Best.
Introduction.
Ever.

:bacon:

Hahaha, thanks - I curbed it back a bit because well… you know. Don’t want to scare the masses.

I :heart: :bacon:

(Jessica) #9

Anyone who embarks on a big endeavor on a Wednesday in the middle of the month is awesome to me. :+1:

Or crazy. I’ll take both.

Actually, I’m in between contracts and taking some time during the holidays, so no time like the present to bust through this. I rarely have time like this… but I’m looking at it as cocooning through the winter so that when summer arrives so will my hot to trot bikini clad bod.

I’m going to bring all the boys to my yard :wink:

But of course - we were all new once. And quite honestly, you can do anything that you set your mind to.

Research, read, and apply. Laugh a lot. Mostly at yourself. You can do it :slight_smile:

(Stacy ) #12

Thanks girl

(VLC.MD) #13

That is one great plan.
Have you ever fasted before ? What is your record ?

I dont think exercise should be too much of a priority if you plan on an Extended Fast. Light non stressful exercise should be the priority I would think. Fasting is a mental game, not an exercise game. Calmness will keep you going, exercise might make you hungry. YMMV. Exercise might be perfect for you. Decide yourself.

The fat loss monitor, withings scale and fit bit should be fun.

Electrolytes … ie Ketoaide or some other recipe are often good ideas. The longer fast you have planned the more it is important.

Yes - 15 days +/- hours

I’m not exercising really, not what I consider to be exercise. I’m tracking steps because I’m a scientist of sorts so I love data. Just seeing if there are any personal trends I notice. The kettlebells at 10 a pop is not overdoing it at all for me at least. Again, nerdy, but I love data and trends ohmy!

Have I mentioned data? And funny ironic thing, went to step on my scale (as I’m building the ol’spreadsheet, and it’s toast. Of all days - but great excuse to get the new one (had the other withings for almost 8 years so it’s time). An early holiday gift for moi! Some people love the scale, some loathe it. I love data.

Yes, couldn’t agree more - I learned the value of electrolytes when I started Keto - talk about hardcore ickies. Once I got those balanced out, game on!

(Dawn Comber) #15

Hey Sassa,

You sound completely ready for this challenge. Rootin’ you on. I plan on a fast in the new year (and I’m contemplating the next ZornFast (December 20-23) . I’ll be coming back to this thread to watch you rock. You go girl!

(VLC.MD) #16

I wonder if airtable would work for you.

EDIT
or http://app.rawgraphs.io/ (you can upload excel files).

EDIT
or https://www.tableau.com/

(Marie Dantoni) #17

You are totally amazing. In one post you have inspired me to unleash my inner keto fasting godess…love that list too !

I’ve used airtable, which I find clunky for little things like I’m doing. Tableau is awesome too… but RAW? I think I love you :heart:

Us goddesseseses have to stick together! You can do this!!

(Doug) #20

Welcome, Sassa! :slightly_smiling_face: That was a great blasting apocalyptic compression summary stream-of-consciousness introduction you gave us.

Your journey is a good one. More power to you!