7 day fast

Completed day 2 fast…coffee and water today…no sweetener, no cream…that’s it.

Sleep = good sleep, woke up hungry, but after two shots of espresso coffee, hunger disappeared.
Hunger = after morning coffee, absolutely no hunger all day long
Energy level = pretty good
Mood = upbeat
Delta weight since day 0 = 1.6 lbs loss
Other observations = skin all over body feels smooth as a baby’s butt!

Keep at it! I am two hours from day 7 myself…gonna keep going though I hope.

(Jen Andrew) #4

Any electrolytes or just water and coffee? I still cant believe people are not hungry…I wish I wasn’t hungry …I will try with some fat…but I keep saying maybe tomorrow…

I am doing Ketaide for electrolytes…

You can do it Scatter! Hang in there…reach out for support when you need it…we are here to support you. And if you fall off the horse, we are still here and cheer you on until you are ready to continue. One day at a time, and you will get to your goal eventually :wink:

@Jen_Andrew, don’t think this is my first go at it. I have built myself up to this point…I started with intermittent fasting (like skipping breakfast, and then skipping breakfast & lunch), and then 24 hr, then 48 hr, then 4 days, etc…

Step by step…you can do it. Build yourself up to longer fasts, and each time you do it, discover the quirks of YOUR body. We are all different…what works for me does not work for someone else.

I used to be more sensitive to missing vitamins and electrolytes…but, I noticed I can now go longer without those. I know what feelings to look for (I.e. Dehydration, electrolytes too low, not enough sleep, etc). And I can make adjustments. Also, earlier on, I used to freak out (psychologically…still was unsure about safety of fasting). As I am becoming more familiar with it, I’m not freaking out and I just keep on fasting like it is nothing new.

Smelling Food During a Fasting Period

So, here’s a coping strategy for extended fasting. A bunch of my Italian friends and I went to a pizzaria restaurant last. So, imagine that, me (a ketonian) while extended fasting going to a pizzaria!! :flushed: :pizza: :scream:

But, extended fasting doesn’t have to be socially detrimental. You need to find ways to incorporate it into your life. And I also follow Dr Fung’s advice…don’t tell people you are fasting. You risk becoming a pariah. I did tell one friend a couple of months ago, and she badgered me about turning into an anorexic. Lesson learned! (note, I have spoken to some friends and family members recently about the intermittent fasting regime…they are not “ready” to hear me talk about extended fasting…I need to slowly educate them).

So, how did I cope? I asked the waitress to bring me a large bottle of Pellegrino and a glass with a piece of lemon. I told my friends I wasn’t hungry and when I feel like that, I shouldn’t eat because I know I will feel horrible and pay for it later…(see what I did there? Was it lying…not really…was it 100% truth???not exactly either… But hey…it worked and I didn’t feel guilty).

So, then I sat there enjoying my large bottle of Pellegrino (1 litre), and the squeeze of a 1/8 piece of lime, and my friends enjoyed eating their individual pizzas. The table was cluttered with dishes, food, napkins, glasses, bottles, etc. Conversation, laughing, joking, ensued. No one even commented about my choice of no food and just drinking my huge bottle of mineral water. Table was cluttered, noise level high, everybody having a good time. I blended in nicely. :slight_smile:

After the pizzaria, we walked a bit, and stumbled into a bar. Some ordered beer or drinks, I ordered an espresso (I drank it black, no sugar added). In fact, a friend heard what I was ordering and ordered the same.

I got home last night past midnight, feeling energized and great. While I was driving home, I realized the Pellegrino I ordered had electrolytes…so…bonus for my fasting regime!

Laboratory results of contained minerals:

Completed day 3 fast! Last night went out with friends, as described above, and had Pellegrino mineral water and espresso…got home past midnight. This morning, had two espressos. Later in the day, earl grey tea and water. No sugar, sweeteners, cream, nothing.

Sleep = good, didn’t wake up hungry this time.
Hunger = nope, none at all
Energy level = pretty good
Mood = upbeat
Delta weight since day 0 = 4.6 lbs lost

Congrats Fiorella! You killed it!

Thanks, @scatter! You are a greater motivator!!

Here’s one strategy that works for me, helps me with fasting compliance. Drinking very high quality coffee, and I make it myself with good old fashion espresso maker from Italy. When the coffee is delicious…I can drink it straight, no cream, no sweetener. Perfect for fasting.

My espresso this morning:

No matter how hard I try, I just cannot do black coffee. I drink tea that way, so I just drink that while I fast. But I miss my BPC!

@Scatter, hang in there! Your BPC is only a few days away!

I love my tea black, too. Mmmmmm. Earl grey…

day 4 complete! Water, coffee, tea…no cream, no sweetener.

Sleep = good sleep
Hunger = slight feelings of hunger creep up, after drinking something, it goes away
Energy level = ok
Mood = upbeat
Delta weight since day 0 = 8.6 lbs loss (I’m pretty surprised by this)

First extended fast

So close to finish line :slight_smile: day 5 complete! Water, coffee, …no cream, no sweetener.

Sleep = woke up in middle of night…but not because fast, I’m deal in with a personal stressful situation
Hunger = no hunger…much better than yesterday
Energy level = ok
Mood = upbeat…when I’m not thinking of a personal stressful situation
Delta weight since day 0 = 10.4 lbs loss (I’m really surprised by this…I didn’t lose this much on first days of my 33 day fast, and I’ve done 7 day fasts before…never have I lost this much!! What is going on???)

Wow…only one more day to go!!! Day 6 done. Water, coffee, tea…no sweetener, no cream.

Sleep = sleeping ok, still stress issues I’m dealing with that wakes me in the night
Hunger = what is that thing they call food? Apparently, people put it in their mouth, chew and swallow. (No hunger!)
Energy level = ok
Mood = upbeat…when I’m not thinking of a personal stressful situation
Delta weight since day 0 = 12.8 lbs loss (like what the heck! I’m dropping pounds like it’s nobody’s business! I need to figure out what is going on here. It will be interesting to see what happens after the refeed).

7 day fast done! Woohoo!!!

Sleep = good deep sleep last night
Hunger = no hunger at all, I feel like I can fast longer
Energy level = very good, late night yesterday, I went to a coffee shop with friends, walked for a long time to get there in the freaking cold wearing a parka, no energy problems at all
Mood = upbeat
Delta weight since day 0 = 12.8 lbs loss (no change from yesterday)

And now I shall embark on my 32-day ZC variable protein test

You killed it Fi!

Yes, thank you, Scatter!

What is this protein test thingy Fi?