6 weeks in and discouraged

(Jerrett Scott) #4

Not sure what’s going on with you. To me it sounds too early to give up. I personally know a couple of people who have had weight loss surgery and the procedures were not a “fix-all”. One person gained it all back, the other is struggling to adjust her habits to keep the weight off. Believe in the process. Believe in yourself!!! We are here for you, and will keep cheering you on!!! You will make it and change your life’s path… Keep Calm And Keto On

Hi Tamara,

I know you said you haven’t noticed a difference in how your clothes fit yet, but I would take measurements asap (if you haven’t already). As you continue on your journey, they will tend to be a much more reliable indicator of fat loss than the scale is.

Dairy can stall fat loss for some people. Not for everyone, and not all dairy, but it’s probably worth removing it for a few weeks to see if that helps. (I know, very sad :frowning: but then you’ll have more information)

No cravings and more energy and 12 pounds down in six weeks - all sounds good! KCKO

(Karen) #6

1 lb a week is 52 pounds a year. Great!

K

(Dom DePlume) #7

If you’re only 6 weeks in, I question if you’re fully fat adapted yet. For some, they ramp right on. For others, it can take up to 12 weeks (or more). Some things stand out to me: Almonds are many people’s crutch, but they do have carbs, and it’s easy to over-do them. I can’t be responsible around them, so I don’t keep them in the house–I only buy enough for whatever recipe I’m making. And I agree with people above about the cheese/dairy: it may be useful to eliminate it for a while. Cheese is tricky for many people’s metabolism when keto. Some do fine, but for many, it’s like tying bricks to a bike wheel. Finally, I question both the amount of calories you’re eating, the added exercise, and your eating window. It sounds to me like you may be drawing down your BMR by restricting calories, eating a bit too often, and then throwing exercise on top of it. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I’d cut out the exercise for a bit, and increase your fat calories right up to your BMR. Eat in a tighter window (4hr) and make sure to stop eating 2hr before bed. Also, maybe change up what you DO do for exercise: Brief, slightly random High-Intensity work-outs tend to make the most of the body’s energy demands on keto, not extended “aerobic” sessions.

Regardless of it all, stick with it. It’s faster for some, slower for others, but over-all, it WILL work if you listen to your body, and keep at it.

(Jessica A) #8

Wouldn’t backing off the fat naturally reduce your caloric intake anyway? :thinking:

(Candy Lind) #9

You came in with a preconceived notion that keto is a lose weight quick plan? Wouldn’t you have been a happy camper if you were counting calories (1000-1100 if you’re like me) and losing .5-1 lb per week on a CICO diet? You’re eating 1500 calories, and if that is the right level for you, you are not hungry. And you’re losing weight. THE BIGGER DEAL is that a lot of other things in your body are more than likely healing - your deranged hormones, Insulin Resistance/T2D, your leaky gut, your damaged mitochondria (precursors to cancer), your inflammatory levels, arthritis, auto-immune disorders, and the like. If it’s working, why not give it some more time?

Pistachios are pretty high-carb, are you sure your macros are ok the days you eat them?

One of your problems may be an overload of candida. Does your tongue have a white coating on it? Do a search in the forums and read about it and how to deal. It’s not an easy thing to fix. I just bought some 20 Mule Team Borax to take just in case I have a bigger problem with it than I thought (I think I found that somewhere in the forums).

You’ve received some other sound advice here regarding dairy and nuts - some folks are dairy intolerant and never realized it, and nuts are something that kills a lot of folks’ weight loss, because they are easy to overdo, and 3 ounces a day is quite a bit. If you are eating them as snacks, stop doing it. If you love nuts, include them with your meals. Concentrate on limiting your insulin hits, meaning eat 3 times per day or less. NO GRAZING.

it is a odd thing, yes you need to feed from your body, but do not want to calorie restrict. I find the best way is to reduce is drop the number of meals, but eat well when you do eat.

good stuff right there

(Brian) #12

This!!

Please don’t discount small and consistent losses. They do add up. And it just takes longer for some people to adjust to this new way of eating.

Hang in there. You’re doing it. You may not have the “rock star” weight losses that some do, so what. Make your new way of eating more about healing your body than about weight loss. Lots of stuff happens that doesn’t show on the outside, at least not right away. The weight loss will come.

KCKO

:slight_smile:

(Jessica A) #13

Don’t despair! I’m only 4 weeks in and lost 5ish lbs. I’m a slow burner too and possibly not AS fat adapted as I would like to be just yet. I know I just need to be patient. Keto isn’t a magical diet, though the lucky ones who can adapt much more quickly can make it seem that way. It’s no exception to diligence. As green as I am to keto I’m believing in the process and my own body to get there on it’s own.

Keep calm and keto on :v:
(My new favorite saying. The “Keep Calm” meme has never meant more to me than with keto)

(back and doublin' down) #14

I started at 260 and 6 weeks later, down to 236. Once a week exercising by going for a long walk or hike. The weight loss is slowing, and the NSV (non-scale victories) are growing! I’m more limber, less inflamed, better focus, less heartburn/reflux, more energy, and clothes just in the past couple of weeks starting to feel looser. Since I tend to wear comfy/stretchy stuff, it’s less noticeable about the whole dropping sizes thing.

Others have given you some good things to consider. You are making good choices and the results will add up. Seriously look at those things you are avoiding…like more healthy fats and a more calories…so much of this diet is counter-intuitive, so some mindfulness about the ‘why I am choosing [food/exercise/thoughts]’ can help you weed out the old thinking!

KCKO and Keep Coming back! this is a great place for support and encouragement along your journey!

Lots of good feedback here, including the advice on giving it time. When I look at your calories and macros, I can’t help but feel like 1500 kcal sounds low for your height, weight, and activity level. And 8% carbs may be higher than what would be optimal for you, and 71% fat might not be quite enough. I would advise playing with that a little.

Also, if you already have a Precision Xtra (not sure if all the models will take ketone strips) maybe check those too for a little extra intel on what’s going on. Scratch that! just noticed the numbers you posted WERE ketones. Sorry.

when feeling sort of hungry or peckish, don’t forget to drink your green tea, just teh tea no cream or sweetener,

(Jessica A) #17

Hehe I suppose I’m still confused about calorie restriction. Nevermind the fact that every body is different, what defines restriction versus fasting? I’m trying to logically work it out in my head: if we’re eating enough calories to negate fasting, but not enough for our bodies to fully complete the necessary processes to function optimally, then that can metabolicly compromise us? And then a deficit is just caloric intake below what we burn, but still a healthy amount?

This is info I could find handy. I’m worried about it a little. I’m feeling less and less hungry these days as I progress, but starting to think I need to eat so that I’m not restricting.

(Candy Lind) #18

A lot of folks promote cutting your fat macro when you’re fully fat adapted, so your body will use more of your fat stores. I say listen to your body; if you’re hungry, eat, if you’re not, don’t. As long as you’re keeping your macros balanced you are likely beginning to use fat stores naturally. You’re still in early days. If you are losing, maintain the status quo; if not, try tweaking things. You will find a lot of suggestions in here and they will most certainly conflict. That’s because this WoE is different for everyone. You have to figure out your own “N=1.”

(Tamara) #19

Thank you!

(Edith) #20

Another thing to consider is that it is perfectly normal to have an initial drop in weight and then a stall. It is called PISS - Post Induction Stall Syndrome. Many people go through it. Your body needs to adapt in many ways to the new foods and higher fat. Even if you are not dropping weight at the moment doesn’t mean your body is not working, changing, and healing.

additionally, the loss could be loss or water, and you are building muscle

(Jo) #22

When you fast you are giving your digestive system a rest, and you entice your insulin to drop, making your fat cells more responsive (in time).
WHen you calorie restrict, as in Calorie in/Calorie out (CICO) diets, you eat throughout the day, usually 4 or 5 times a day, so you’re not really giving anything a rest and you keep stimulating your insulin and blood sugar.

Keto is essentially about controlling your insulin production making your body less insulin resistant. And that is exactly why CICO does not work, because it keeps storing the calories you eat because the insulin keeps being high.

(Jessica A) #23

Thank you for explaining that :slight_smile: I’m only starting to realize how much insulin plays a major role in all of this.