6 weeks in and discouraged

additionally, the loss could be loss or water, and you are building muscle

(Jo) #22

When you fast you are giving your digestive system a rest, and you entice your insulin to drop, making your fat cells more responsive (in time).
WHen you calorie restrict, as in Calorie in/Calorie out (CICO) diets, you eat throughout the day, usually 4 or 5 times a day, so you’re not really giving anything a rest and you keep stimulating your insulin and blood sugar.

Keto is essentially about controlling your insulin production making your body less insulin resistant. And that is exactly why CICO does not work, because it keeps storing the calories you eat because the insulin keeps being high.

(Jessica A) #23

Thank you for explaining that :slight_smile: I’m only starting to realize how much insulin plays a major role in all of this.

weight loss is hormonal, not calorie in and out, 2 complete separate metabolic processes

(Alec) #25

Tamara
You’ve lost me. Why are you discouraged when you’re losing 0.5-1lb per week? That sounds PERFECT!!! This is not a crash diet that you will finish with in 6 months time. This is for life.

KCKO.
Cheers
Alec

@Jessica_A Yes, this ^

Also: once you’re fat-adapted and can easily and fully access your fat stores, you’re not actually restricting when you’re not eating. Endogenous calories :slight_smile:

belly fridge, haha

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

It’s for this reason that a well-formulated ketogenic diet is not a weight-loss diet, but a weight-normalization diet. The body needs time to heal, and it needs adequate energy for the purpose. This is why the standard recommendations are (1) carbs under 20g/day, (2) moderate protein, and (3) fat to satiety. Carbs stimulate insulin, which promotes fat storage, so you want to limit those. Too much protein is as much of a problem as too little. Fat is the only macronutrient that doesn’t stimulate insulin, so it has to be the main source of calories. If you restrict your calories, you shortchange your body, and it wants to hang onto its fat store. Give it enough energy, however, and it will burn excess fat and add any needed muscle. Satiety is the signal by which we know we’ve given our body enough.

(Jessica A) #29

I find this VERY interesting and was discussing this with my hubby the other day. There must be a point where our bodies will stop dropping weight and work to maintain, yes? I’m curious to see what that would be for me. According to most health/BMI calculators my ideal weight based on height is 130-135. But that must be BS to a point because every body is different. I for one am holding on to baby weight and nothing, not even breast feeding, helped me lose and I spent a great deal of time eating healthy and walking on my mat leave to boot. Perhaps my body was still recovering from gestational diabetes at the time so losing weight was that much harder. Back then it was all about gluten free, but not necessarily low carb.
But either way, I’m assuming my body has a threshold perhaps based on the percentage of body fat I will have once I’ve lost all the excess. Weight is just a number after all, and since we are burning fat for fuel I would think the BFP would be a more significant factor in where we naturally stop?
Science aside, only time will tell for my personal experience in this.

(Jessica A) #30

Haha sorry @Ketogreeny I feel like I hijacked your post a bit. Hopefully what’s being discussed is still helpful for you <3