6% carb bread too good to be true?

In my country there is a commercially available bread that is claiming 6.1g of carbs per 100g.
As there is not alot of data on the net regarding this product, is it possible to tell if this can be true by looking at the nutritional data and ingredients?? :

Ingredients:
Drinking water, base mix (wheat flour, flax seeds, whole wheat spelled flour, almonds, wheat bran, whole grain dried spelled, edible salt, barley extract, spices) soy flour, flaxseed, sunflower, soybean, sesame seeds, yeast.

Nutritional Data:

Average nutritional value		   Quantity in 100g

Energy					            1184 kJ / 285 kcal
Fat					                16.8 g
of which saturated fatty acids		2.2 g
Carbohydrate				        6.1 g
of which sugars				        2.4 g
Fiber					            11.8 g
Protein					            21.4 g

Yeah…I wouldn’t trust that. If we add all the macro nutrients (fat, carb, protein) its 16.8+6.1+11.8+21.4= ~56 grams which does not add to 100 grams.

What are the other 54 grams? Filler? Since the base mix contains wheat flour, wheat spelled flour, wheat bran and whole grain dried spelled, I’ll bet that the 54 grams are carbs.

(Shayne) #3

I’m pretty sure that’s not how that works - 100g of steak does not equal 100g of protein. One ounce of steak (28g) would hold about 7g of protein.

I noticed that your nutrition label doesn’t count fiber as a carb so you’d have to add that in if you’re doing total carbs, so then it would be 17.9.

I also did some quick math regarding the calories and if I did it right, then your label is missing about 20kcal.

Based on the diet my doctor and I agreed on, I wouldn’t eat it because it has wheat, but YMMV.

(icky) #4

I don’t think that’s how it works. There must be water in the bread (quite a lot) else it wouldn’t be moist.

I can buy 4 types of low-carb bread locally that have the same macros as your bread @nubee

oooops I think I mixed up a couple of things…I need more coffee.

(icky) #6

:blush: Ooh, bring me a cup too if you’re making some! :coffee:

Yes, In Europe, they count it separately which can cause confusion sometimes

Although I don’t know why you wouldn’t be counting net carbs?, I think you can’t get enough fibre on a low carb diet, so this high fibre content is definitely a positive compared to the overall carbs it contains.

(Allie) #8

The ingredients would out me off irrespective of the actual numbers.

^which ingredients in particular and why?

(Allie) #10

Wheat, soy - I know wheat isn’t good for me and would rather avoid soy.

Well you know what they say… if you can’t take the Wheat, stay out of the bread kitchen :joy:

(Allie) #12

Exactly why I don’t eat bread or try to replace it with anything.

(Pete A) #13

Beware of the frankenfood aspects of such a thing.

(icky) #14

I think progress in foods based on science is a good thing.

We only know about things like Keto thanks to science.

If there is scientific progress re food, I like it.

I try to keep my wheat and soy intake low, but I personally have much bigger qualms about eating factory-raised meat with the animal welfare issues plus the medication/ antibiotics used there, so I think everyone has to make their own nutritional choices.

No such thing as a “perfect” choice.

This thread was aimed at people who do like bread :joy: The Sandwich being the greatest food invention in history IMHO :slight_smile:

Having said that, I see so much time being used to make keto bread, while this is commercially available, cheap ($1.50 for 350g loaf) and definitely keto-able… win win win

(icky) #16

Yes! I am NOT someone who loves to cook/ bake and when I was looking at all the keto versions of bread baking recipes… my heart sank.

I was so amazed to find that a local supermarket stocks 4 different types of low carb bread last week, one of them made with almond flour.

I too love sandwiches, so I’m really happy about this.

I’m only indulging in this low carb bread on the weekends tho, to keep Mon - Fri wheat free because of my IBS.

(Shayne) #17

In my research and my experience, fiber is not a good thing, so I purposely get as little as possible.

Dr. Eades got me on the less fiber track with this blog post from 2006:
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2006/08/30/is-increased-fiber-intake-really-a-good-thing/#more-274

Don’t get me wrong, I love to eat vegetables, but I don’t because I don’t digest them. The only thing fiber is good for in my life is causing digestive distress (and I can never predict which way it’s going to go).

But like I say all the time - your mileage may vary (YMMV). If bread and/or fiber is important to you, give it a try and see how your body reacts.

This is sort of weird to hear and goes against the common wisdom regarding dietary fiber.

On average, North Americans consume less than 50% of the dietary fiber levels recommended for good health. In the preferred food choices of today's youth, this value may be as low as 20%, a factor considered by experts as contributing to the obesity levels seen in many developed countries.[87] Recognizing the growing scientific evidence for physiological benefits of increased fiber intake, regulatory agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of the United States have given approvals to food products making health claims for fiber

Something to look into

(Shayne) #19

Keto goes against the “common wisdom” as well.

^ not to my common wisdom… there is enough scientific research to support it.

A blog post about fiber though?