6% carb bread too good to be true?

(Allie) #21

Exactly what I was about to say.

(Shayne) #22

How about this one, with links to studies:

Or this one, also with links to studies:
https://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber/

The science tells me that fiber is anti-nutritive, doesn’t lower cholesterol, and might actually be a risk factor for digestive cancers. Some soluble fiber might be good for feeding your microbiome, but it seems to be a MUCH smaller amount than the “common wisdom” would have you believe.

(karen) #23

My very non-scientific thought about fiber is that from a ‘paleo standpoint’, we were probably eating a lot more fiber per 100 grams or per 100 calories of plant food than we do today. Leaves, berries that were mostly seed, fruit that was a lot less sweet … so to the extent that our ancestors were eating plants, they were eating fiber. And I do believe they were eating plants when plants were available. So … on the one hand I’m pretty sure we were designed to manage and maybe thrive on a certain amount of fiber, and on the other hand, I’m also pretty sure magically throwing extraneous fiber into everything from bread to coffee creamer isn’t necessary or even beneficial. As Mark Sisson’s article points out, the glucose in carbs doesn’t disappear if you add fiber, it just gets absorbed later in the digestive cycle.