5th week of Keto, I feel like crap....?

(Bansaw) #1

I’ve been on a strict < 20g carb Keto eating plan coming into week 5.
I feel like crap.
Low energy, aching, a few heart palpitations every now and then, mild headaches.

If you were experiencing this things, what might you do ?

(Heather Meyer) #2

I would be up’ing the water and electrolytes…

(Katie) #3

I echo the water and electrolytes suggestion.

Also, are you getting adequate protein and fat? Perhaps list what you typically eat on a daily basis and we can help you troubleshoot.

(Bansaw) #4

Yes, adequate fat. I think I could up my water/electrolytes though.

(Susan) #5

This, you have Keto flu. This will help =) and continue using!

(Bansaw) #6

What about this, Vega Electrolytes, Keto friendly?

I do have Emergen-C as well actually but Cronometer placed one sachet at 3g carbs, although I looked at the ingredients. It does have Stevia but thats pretty low carb

(Carl Keller) #7

Two+ teaspsoons of salt during the course of your day should help. We excrete sodium a lot faster than we are used to when we restrict carbs. If we don’t replace those losses, there’s a whole lot of ways our body can respond negatively.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

These are symptoms of lack of sodium, as others have posted. Try to eat 2-3 U.S. teaspoons of salt, and these symptoms should go away.

The low energy could also be partly from the fact that your body is still switching from metabolising sugar to metabolising fat. During the fat adaptation phase, the muscles are limping along on ketones, until they recover their ability to use fatty acids. But being at five weeks, you should be starting to see an improvement very soon.

Fat adaptation generally takes six to eight weeks, but some people have found it taking longer. Also, I have read posts indicating that some people who were quite happy with their fat adaptation continued to experience improved energy for up to a year later. So although it’s hard to make an accurate prediction, you are likely to be starting to reap the benefits of a proper human diet right about now.

(Bansaw) #10

thanks, encouraging
I bought a Keto meter from amazon and some 0 carb electrolytes powder