50 yrs old Three weeks in- a bit discouraged

(Donna K) #1

Help! I am new at this. Other than constipation and bloating- I feel fantastic, but my weight loss is minimal. I walk at least 4 times 50 minutes fast pace, eat less than 15 carbs a day, plenty of fat, water, and proteins. I am just not moving in the scale. I did Akins years ago and it fell off. Advice? I am 50 and am 5’10 169

(Chris) #2

How many calories in a day?

(Donna K) #3

Calories vary-900- 1000

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Starvation mode is kicking in.

(Janelle) #5

First, you’re a woman and 50. It’s harder. (I know - I am 50).

Then, you can’t really have that much to lose. That makes it harder. Curious - how much are you wanting to lose? At 5’10”, you’re very close to normal BMI.

And finally, now everyone will now tell you you’re starving yourself. I know that even Atkins never would have restricted calories like that. That’s a surefire way to train your body that not enough food is coming in so hang on to the weight.

Maybe use an app like Chronometer to find out how many you should actually be eating. Read up on keto. Really, it’ll never work as a starvation diet.

(Donna K) #6

I don’t understand- I thought fasting was a good thing

(Janelle) #7

Fasting is NO food for a set amount of time. Please read up on it before you do harm to your health.

(Robert C) #8

Fasting is good after months in and totally fat adapted. Then it is best in a non-regular pattern - skipping meal or days of eating but not lowering daily calories (which might slow metabolism).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Fasting is a good thing, once someone is fat-adapted. Till then, it’s a stress the body doesn’t need.

But calorie restriction is never helpful, because the body slows down to compensate. With no food at all, it keeps the metabolism revved up, so we have the energy to go out and take down the next wooly mammoth.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #10

You’re older now, your body has had many years to become unhealthy. I also did Atkins in my 20’s and lost 45 lbs in 3 months. Now I’m 43 and it’s not happening so fast. I’m okay with this and am enjoying the journey and paying very close attention to all the other benefits of removing processed and carb laden food from my diet. Stick with it. Things slow down as we age, this is one of those things.

(Cindy) #11

Eh, I have a different opinion on the 900-1000cal/day. My question would be…are you SATISFIED on that amount? Are you eating when you’re hungry?

Because, let’s face it, your BMR might be that low…so that 900 cal/day is enough. I don’t think making yourself eat more is a healthy thing either.

If you’re feeling good and you’re listening to your hunger/satiety signals, then put the scale away and give it a month. Don’t eat “to the scale” or to macros or anything else. Eat to FEEL GOOD.

(PSackmann) #12

56 here. The weight doesn’t move for me nearly as easily as it used to and I have a significant amount that should go. I have found that focusing on non-scale victories is better for my mental health, and I know that I’m improving my health whether I lose weight or not.

You may want to post your typical menus for input on your macros, that will make it easier to get advice. In the meantime, hang in there, this is a good forum for information

(Running from stupidity) #13

So many good answers on this thread, it warms my heart[1] :slight_smile:

[1] blackened shrivelled heart

(Carl Keller) #14

I won’t repeat the great advice you’ve already been given, but I will say something about the bloating. If you have low stomach acid this could cause bloating, especially when eating animal proteins. A little bit of apple cider vinegar diluted in water could help improve this. Fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi or anything pickled can also improve the gut microbiome. Lastly, some foods can trigger bloating and it might be a good idea to take a look at what dairy you are including in your diet as well as artificial sweeteners.

Edit: Some people find an intolerance to cruciferous vegetables (cabbage family vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower etc), especially when eaten raw. In this case it’s best to make sure they are fully cooked or avoided, if bloating persists.

(Donna K) #15

How long is that? Month, year, please give me some guidance

(Running from stupidity) #16

From a couple of months (more generally) to a year or so (rarer, but not rare). Completely variable.

(Carl Keller) #17

Like Dr.@juice says, it could be months.

You will know when you have can say yes to these questions:

Do I have consistent all day energy?
Can I go long periods of time without being overly hungry?
Are my cravings gone?
Do I sleep well?

(Donna K) #18

I can say yes now with the exception of sleeping. I am in full menopause- hot flashes wake me up at least 3 times a night

(Jennifer Alden) #19

I agree. I am also 43 and it’s not coming off me as fast as it is off some others, but I also am enjoying being fully free of the cravings and sugar crashes. My mind is fresher and clear. I’ve lost 8 or 9 pounds in 21 days. I’m 5’1 starting weight 157 present weight 148 goal weight 135. It will happen

(Running from stupidity) #20

:star2::star2::star2::star2::star2: