5 weeks in, with unusual tiredness

(justyn) #1

Help! I have been in ketosis for roughly 5 weeks now, measuring blood BHB levels regularly. I have been experiencing some pretty dramatic tiredness during the day. I just want to nap. Does anyone have a potential explanation for this? Sleep average 8 hours a night. Average BHB levels are .9 mmol, I train regularly. I eat beef, fish, greens, eggs, butter, broth mostly. I am eating nearly 2500 calories a day, being very active. I track my macros and calories.
I had a pretty noticeable “keto flu” for the first week, but then that tapered off. I have felt good for much of the time, but I have noticed some significant tiredness that can last sometimes most of the day.
I have heard that sometimes people need more vitamin b5 (pantothenic acid) on this diet because it is used in the metabolic process, and that missing it can lead to tiredness. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you!

(Chris W) #2

And your salt intake is?

I had this issue, I’m in week six now, week five was exhausting. Some clever person on here put me on to potassium- Morton’s salt in the US, Diet Rite salt in Australia.

1/2 a teaspoon in the morning with water. Really helped, but took a few days.

Today I feel so much better - I’m eating heaps of salt (I always have) I take magnesium, and just feel like I’m turning a corner.

Hopefully the same will happen for you? And hopefully this lasts more than one day!!

Week 6 here. I though that I was fat adapted finally as my ketone levels started to lower into the 2-3 range the last 3 days. Today I was so tired in fact I came home and napped after work. My electrolytes are great and I’m not sure what’s up. I eat plenty and I’m not dehydrated. To date I’ve lost a total of 4 pounds lol. It’s so hard to not say screw it, my resolve is starting to seem pointless

(Maura hAGERTY) #5

I had the same experience … Cleared up somewhere between week 6 and 8. Now 4 months in and SO glad I stuck it out! Feel awesome and lost major inches…Salt and electrolights helped. As did eating more.