5 days in using BP & Broth. Next 5 days just distilled water and salt

(Bob) #1

I am a long haul trucker. I had to get out of ketosis for 5 days to pass a D.O.T. physical so no ketones would show in my urine test. Decided to start a 14 day fast to get back to normal. 5 days now using 3 BP decaf coffees in the morning and tomorrow will start just using distilled water and pink H salt for the duration. Was it a mistake to use the BP coffee? I feel fine except for the toxins being flushed out every 2 hours which just started today and no hunger but lacking a little energy. Been Keto adapted for 9 weeks and the longest fast was 3 days. I’m wondering if cheating 5 days with BP will make the next 9 harder. Lost 30 lbs and A1C went from 7.9 to 6.5. and Lipid panel and LDL P test results were so good that my doctor took me off statin last week. My only other fast has been a 4 day water/salt which went OK.

(Griffin Mekelburg) #2

Just wondering but why did you need 0 ketones in a physical for DOT?
I do think 3 BPC would be a bit too many calories due to all the fat and may stall your fasting into really more of just a hypo-caloric state. Someone else please chime in here, but I think it may be easier to feast for a day or so then go back into fasting, but if anyone has a comment on fasting from a low calorie state please let me know!!

Good luck gettin back on track sounds like you have a solid plan ahead!! :smiley:

(Bob) #3

DOT fails the physical if they find ketones because they think you have diabetes. I have diabetes but no sugar in the urine and soon it should be in remission. My PCP doctor who has been keto last several years told me the best bet to pass the DOT physical a week later was to go out of Ketosis 5 days before the physical and then get back on the wagon using a fast. I am keto adapted so no keto flu getting back in but I have been wanting to experiment with an extended fast so I thought now is a good time. I’m thinking going the first 5 days using BP was a mistake. It will be interesting to see how the next 9 goes with the distilled water and salt. I’m not crazy about interrupting the fast with a day or 2 of feasting. I guess I just want to see if I can do 14 but then again it really won’t be 14 days if I used the BP. I think I’ll finish the next 9 and in the next fast I’ll skip the BP

(Michelle) #4

How much butter in your BPC? Each Tbsp of MCT is about 125. I’ve heard them say anything over 200 calories will not be true fast ( maybe no autophogy or HGH) but it’s still reduced calorie and no big insulin spike, so will probably not screw you in getting back to ketosis.

(Bob) #5

Don’t use butter for BPC. Using MCT oil. Wow, I didn’t know a tablespoon was 125. I’ve been using 3-4 tablespoon MCT each morning. Most days I consume no carbs and if I do its under 15 grams and less than 80 grams protein. I lost 30 lbs fast but have hit the brick wall. Last 5 days on the BPC fast I’ve taken off 4-5 lbs. Listening to Megan Ramos on the podcasts has me thinking that feast and fast is the way to go in the future. Thanks Michelle and Griffin. I think I’m done with BPC when fasting. I guess I was trying to take the easy way out.

(Bob) #6

Quick story u two might get a kick out of. Last year my primary care physician told me I had diabetes and I needed to lose weight and eat healthy so that I would not have to be put on insulin. he put me on metformin. I went keto in March and had to go in for my annual physical a week before my DOT physical. I thought when I told my doctor that I had gone keto that he would tell me to find another doctor. When he came in the room he asked me how I lost the 30 lbs. I’ve been getting rather militant lately and told him that I discovered sugar is a toxic poison and that the ADA, AMA, corporate America and the government are a bunch of (real word blanked out) screwing us over making us obese and giving us diabetes in the name of greed and profits. He chuckled and then asked me what I was eating and doing to lose the weight. After I told him he informed me that he was also keto. He ran a bunch of extra tests for me since I was keto adapted. When I got the results I got an email from him telling me to keep up the good work. Like I told him, I’m sorry it took me 58 years to find out the truth but better late than never. Thanks for the replies u guys. Have a good night

(Griffin Mekelburg) #7

Lmao love it! Amazing how fast the diet is growing in popularity!

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

Love hearing these kinds of stories. I had gone in expecting to fire my MD, but she asked me how I had lost so much weight since my last visit, told her low carb, eating healthy fats and meats. She told me I was doing a great job and to keep it up.