5-day fast, seeking comrades! (Cross-posted to Fasting Females category)

(christa) #41

I go out of my way to hide my fasting from co-workers. Not easy, because I usually eat with them (we’re a tiny startup). Today will be day 3 of not joining the group lunch; maybe today I will “have a stomachache.” I feel a little bad lying about it, but it’s just easier than having a drawn-out discussion in defense of fasting.

(christa) #42

78 hours in! I’ve been fine all day, but now suddenly feel super hungry. I’ll try some sea salt. :grimacing:

(christa) #43

Absolutely. I love the sense of being in control that fasting gives me.

With the calorie-restricted diets I tried in my teens and 20s, it was a constant struggle and I always felt out of control (I didn’t know then that the act of eating stimulated insulin and grehlin production, making stopping eating very difficult).

I did a 7-day “detox” lemon/cayenne juice fast in college, and though I was consuming sugar (far less than typical lemonade, but still), I lost weight and felt the same freedom. It was just way easier to feel in control by not eating at all than to try to limit my calorie intake. Wish I knew then what I know now!

(Jeremy Storie) #44

I was feeling woozy and nauseous yesterday so I had a couple handfuls of macadamia nuts at the 70 hour mark. Pretty good for my first fast.

(christa) #45

Wow, it’s your first one? I missed that before! Cool. Glad you are feeling better. I am feeling TIRED. I’m waiting for this boundless energy that everyone talks about to kick in! Electrolytes, vitamin, coffee, water, salt… no matter what I do, I feel tired and sluggish. Hour 95!

(Jeremy Storie) #46

Yeah I was a little sluggish but ok until I became nauseous. Hang in there.

(What The Fast?!) #47

How long did you end up going? I also don’t have any “boundless energy” but I did work out yesterday and felt fine.

(christa) #48

I ended up going 118 hours, just 2 hours shy of an “official” 5 day/120 hour fast! All in all, it went really well. I think it’s something I could reasonably do once per month. There were some rough spots, but by the end I felt pretty good!

(What The Fast?!) #49

Did you supplement with fat at all?
PS That’s amazing!!!

(christa) #50

I had a bit of bacon fat on the third and fourth days. Otherwise, I had water, coffee, sea salt, lite salt (w/ potassium and magnesium), herbal tea, and some bone broth.

Congratulations on the fast! I started the day today fully intending to simply do my 18 hour fasting window (from Sunday dinner last night, through lunch today), but upon determining I now have to fly across the country on business Weds thru Friday, made a decision on the fly to turn the week into a 5 day fast! I love the flexibility that keto and fasting can provide to our lives.

Skipped lunch, now 26 hours in this evening, and will plan to have a nice dinner Friday night upon my return.

Have a great week everybody!

P.S.–For my flights to/from, have several ‘2 Keto Dudes’ podcasts downloaded and ready to enjoy!

(Cathrine Helle) #52

This! is what appeals so greatly to me with fasting! It can be fitted to my life, rather than my life being fitted to my fasting. This means that a social life is doable, fasting can always be resumed! This weekend we were celebrating my uncles 70th birthday, big family gathering with barbecue. We stayed for the weekend, so there was quite a lot of eating. I started a new fast after lunch Sunday, and are currently about 48 hours in. The plan is to break at dinner tonight, because both teenagers are home. We’ll see :slight_smile:

Just slightly over 4 hours to go to complete this 5 Day Fast. Got to the office Monday morning thinking of a regular week of intermittent fasting (18 hour fasts, 6 hour eating windows), then determined I needed to be out of town for meetings Weds-Friday. Love the flexibility of being keto, where you can change things up on the fly. I decided that morning to just incorporate a 5 Day Fast into this week and fast throughout the trip across country. As usual, hit my hunger points 24-48 hours in, but worked through that space and came out the other side of the tunnel feeling fantastic as always. Great business trip living on coffee and water, with a little bit of salt from time to time.

Ketones came up nicely each day, with blood ketones rocking in at 5.3 mmol/L this morning and my glucose-ketone index below 1.0 yesterday and today. Looking forward to feasting mode this weekend! Have a great weekend everybody!

And I’ll be on the lookout for others doing their next 5 Day, and will hope to jump in!

(christa) #54

Rock on! Good for you. I’ll probably be doing another 5-day fast at the end of next month. Enjoy your feast time!

I’ll be on the lookout for yours next month and may join you!!!

I’m on day 2 (hour 38) of my first extended fast- I’m allowing myself hwc, coconut oil and butter in my coffee or tea, but not excessive amounts.
Today I’m super hungry! I’m determined to make it to at least 3 days but you are inspiring me to stick it out until day 5!!
Good luck with your fast!

(Ethan) #57

I do two 5-day fasts every month. I also mix in multiple 2-day fasts (Im on one now) and random OMAD and fat-fasts (usually as an OMAD). If I can’t make 2 5-day fasts in the month, I do a 7-day fas instead.

2 1/2 days into a 5 day fast. May extend it further if I end up having to travel on business at the end of day 5 (TBD). I’ve found the best stretch to fast is on a business trip/travel.