5-day fast, seeking comrades! (Cross-posted to Fasting Females category)

(christa) #1

Hi all! I’ve fasted a fair number of times now, but 5 days will be the longest since I did a “detox” 7-day fast in college.

I started this morning. So far, I have the usual hunger pangs. Typically, though, day 2 is unbearable for me.

Anyone else currently fasting? I’m doing occasional bone broth and electrolytes, plus tea and coffee. But I’d love to hear from any kind of fasting friend! Water only/broth/fat fast/whatever!

(Jodi) #2

Hi! I’m currently in my 2nd 36-hr fast. I’m currently following a protocol in “The Complete Guide to Fasting”, which is three 36 hr fasts each week. I’m working my way up to longer fasts.

I’m having a small amount of cream in 2 coffees each day, one in the AM, one in the afternoon. Otherwise just water and salt.

My first fast went great, but I think I overdid it on the fat on my eating day. I felt good until I had a BPC, so no more of those. I’m sure I will figure it out, but my stomach still feels kinda yucky today so it’s a bit easier to fast this morning.

Hope yours is going well!

(Jeremy Storie) #3

I started a 5 day fast last night at 8 pm :grin:

I’m in for a 5 day fast as well… trying to stop fasting on weekends kids, wife, going out etc. which is the hardest and do it during the workweek.

8pm CST

My Challenges by my perception:

• I prepare lunch for my kids every day. So avoid being around food is impossible.
  • Very busy with my after work athletic leagues, father of 3, etc.
  • Also starting my weight lifting regime again, Stronglifts 5x5, as well. It’s time after stopping a couple months ago.

(Jeremy Storie) #5

I get to fix salmon with Parmesan zucchini for my family this evening. I’m sure it will kill me!

(christa) #6

Nice! I’ve done 3 36-hour fasts since March. I feel like I’m ready for the 5-day! Sorry to hear your stomach is upset. I find Tazo Ginger Green tea helps settle my stomach, and it’s a good alternative to coffee to get me through the day. (I still have coffee in the morning!)

(christa) #7

You got this! Maybe drink some bone broth (if you’re doing that) before/during?

(Jennifer) #8

I’m fasting this week as well… Started last night and going till Friday.

(christa) #9

I haven’t done any exercise beyond walking (I walk 3-4 miles per day on a treadmill desk, and take long walks in the evenings occasionally), but I keep reading accounts of people doing serious strength training and aerobic exercise while fasted and feeling great! So hopefully that will be the case for you, too.

I have to cook for my two kids, too; it can be really challenging! Drinking tea or bone broth while cooking seems to help a little.

At least fasting gives you tons of extra time to get things done? My house is super clean when I’m fasting. :grinning:

(christa) #10

Huzzah! How’s it going so far?

(Jeremy Storie) #11

I’ll probably just have some coffee and some salt :grin:

(christa) #12

Good plan. Salt really helps! I like to have a little bit of fancy smoked salt occasionally for extra flavor.

(betsy.rome) #13

I started my fast last night (Sunday) 9 pm. Shooting for at least 3 days, more if it feels right. So far, two small cups bone broth, 2 coffees with 1 T coconut oil & 2 tsp butter each, and noshing on pink salt, 1-1/4 tsp in a little bag to last all day.

(Jeremy Storie) #14

I’m doing good so far with just salt, water, and black coffee

(Jeremy Storie) #15

That sounds good! I’ve never had any.

(christa) #16

Look for “Fumee de Sel” at the store (at both of the grocery stores I go to, it’s in a special section near the cheese, far away from the normal salt).

(Jeremy Storie) #17

Will do. Thanks.

(Jennifer) #18

I like fasting so day one is no problem. I just take my supplements and my tea… I’ll start with some electrolytes later today.

I started doing 5 days fasting/2 days eating last month. I take a fasting break during my cycle and then start up the fasting again after it is over. I’m down about 40 pounds since the beginning of February.

Last week I had a day that I really felt weird and it was the first time I took a spoonful of coconut oil and the feeling went away. Maybe I’m getting to a point that I don’t make enough glucous from my stored fat?

(Togipeidia) #19

I’ve done plenty of intermittent fasts but nothing longer Im going to try a 36 hour fast today going to start slow.

(christa) #20

Awesome, Amy! These longer fasts are mostly harder than the intermittent fasts on a psychological level, at least for me. Day 2 is the hardest! But you can totally do it. Thanks for joining the thread.