5 & 2

(Jack Brien) #1

I know the old fast diet or 5/2 or whatever is done by plenty of people, but I’ve been thinking about swapping it all little.
Aim is to water/coffee/green tea fast Monday-Thursday and eat plenty of keto Friday-Sunday in an attempt to stop the creeping weight gain that I’m having and to lose this belly.
What do you reckon?

(Doug) #2

Jack, if you’re fat-adapted and tolerate that schedule pretty well, then I’d say that belly’s days are numbered.

(Allie) #3

I’ve heard of many people who successfully switched it around to do 5 fasting and 2 eating days. Good luck :blush:

(Jack Brien) #4

A year into this, so I hope so :thinking:

(Jack Brien) #5

That was my original thought, but I decided to take it easy on myself

(Robert C) #6

I don’t know how experienced you are with longer fasts but you might want to give some thought to exactly how you’ll break the fast.
If your last meal is Sunday night and you will eat food on Friday - that is a pretty good span of time.

For me, for that water/coffee only fasting length, that would not always break well.

A quick bacon and eggs breakfast with a BPC could be followed by a disaster if you immediately attempt an hour-long commute.
Skipping breakfast but throw down a lunch too fast and you could have a lot of trouble (pain, disaster pants) in the afternoon.
I also wouldn’t break my fast with a dinner date.

Not every time, but often enough to be risky - so what I do is break a fast only when I have an evening free.

In your case, if Thursday was free - fasting Sunday dinner to Thursday dinner - a 4-day fast might be an idea.

(Alec) #7

Has 5:2 stopped working for you?

(karen) #8

It’s funny how different people are. My first 5 day fast a few months ago I was so scared to start eating again. A little broth, then a little coconut milk, finally a few hours later some home made egg drop soup, more gentle than a convalescent. Yesterday I broke a similar fast with a bacon cheeseburger and a green salad with mayo dressing. :yum:

I’m doing something similar at the moment to lose the last couple of pounds, it’s coming off so slowly… Last week I fasted Sun eve to Weds eve, from then until Fri eve, & ate over the weekend. I’m building the EFs up slowly. Good luck to you!

(Jack Brien) #10

For me the disaster pants has always come at the beginning, I think to do with the Mg. I’m stopping all supplements for the fast days except Na & K

(Jack Brien) #11

I never really did it. The first couple of days are awkward, the next couple are easier, then they get awkward again. By awkward I mean my mind plays tricks on me, giving me all sorts of reasons to eat.

(Alec) #12

Are you fat adapted? If not, you may struggle. If you weren’t able to do a single day fast consistently, are you sure you are ready for multi day?

My suggestion would be to get a few weeks of 5:2 under your belt before you go longer.
Cheers
Alec

(Jack Brien) #13

Been keto for about a year and I’ve fasted for a week a couple of times along with the odd single day and fairly frequent omad. I just like my food a little to much, which is the problem really. This way I get to like it for 3 days a week, without reservation and am committed to the fasting for the other 4. Also that way, I don’t get tempted by the cake at work

(Alec) #14

Ah, sorry, Jack. No dramas. You’ve obviously got this. Go for it!
Cheers
A

(Jack Brien) #15

No need to apologise, I asked for comments and not sure I have got this, belly was rumbling and my eyes were wandering today! Luckily there was no easily accessible food in sight

(Jack Brien) #16

Urgh
Well it’s not the Mg that caused me problems this morning, I haven’t had any for 2 days. But I could have shat through the eye of a needle this morning and made me late for work. Too much salt maybe? Either the LoSalt or rock salt in my water this morning. I’m going to ease off the salt today.