48 Hours Fasting to Reverse Fatty Liver

(Rossi Luo) #1

I have been on keto for 7+ months with 22 hours fasting 5 days a week, and my fatty liver (more than around 7 years) has been changed from medium (worse) to light (better), but it’s not reversed totally.
So I decided to do 48 hours fasting and stop alcohol to totally reverse my fatty liver, today is my second day of the 48 hours fasting, everything is good, I don’t crave for food due to my ketosis.
Let’s see if this can reverse the fatty liver months later.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I had several (5 or 6) lipoma lump at my back, and after 7 months keto, only 1 lipoma is left and smaller, lets see if the extended fasting can burn it to ash this time!
And I have an enlarged spleen detected around 3 years ago, the cause was not found yet, and my Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) is 9.9 ng/ml which is out of the normal range (0-7 ng/ml), and I had a PET scan 1 year ago, but the PET scan found nothing. I am not sure if these bad things are related to my fatty liver.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The liver is called into action to deal with three types of things we ingest: ethyl alcohol, fructose, and branched-chain amino acids. To much of these things, singly or in combination, is what causes fatty liver, steatohepatitis, cirrhosis, and so forth. So in order to promote liver health, we need to keep our total intake of these three things to a rate that our liver can handle.

Fructose is one half of a sucrose molecule (sucrose is the chemical name of table sugar). When we eat sugar, the glucose part of the molecule is handled just like glucose from any other source, but the fructose has to be shunted to the liver to be dealt with. Branched-chain amino acids are essential to our diet, but we don’t need very much of them. The most common source these days is body-building supplements, because they do help with growing bigger muscles, but too much has effects on the liver.
If the only source of them is our food, we are very unlikely to get too much. And we all know what alcohol does to the body. So to help your liver, keep your intake of these three things as minimal as you can.

(Rossi Luo) #3

Thanks Paul for your information! Then I will take your advice to take out the fruits from my food list, although I was in Keto, but sometimes I ate fruits as well.

(Rossi Luo) #5

Yeah, because the theory saying fruits are nutrient-rich food have been told tens of years, no one doubts it. Yes, it’s nutrient-rich, but it might be over-rich if we eat too much and every day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Yeah, as Michael points out, it’s the juice and smoothies that give us the whammy. Whole fruits have enough fibre to slow the absorption of the fructose to a rate the liver can handle.

(Rossi Luo) #7

My first 48 hours fasting ended at 44 hours today 2:00 pm, as I felt not very good after 1:00 pm, then I decided to end it by eating 100g almond. I will do it again next week.

(Marianne) #8

I think those bad things are/were related to your former way of eating. The longer you stay on clean keto, the better metabolic health you will achieve, including restoring your liver to good health.

If you can do that and don’t mind, more power to you. I used to fast in the beginning but stopped because I really don’t like it. Stopping/moderating alcohol will do a lot to improve your liver. Good luck to you.

(Rossi Luo) #9

I just want to update my progress here, maybe someone else can refer my experience.
I stopped doing 48 hours fasting since I took suggestions from others in the forum (e.g. PaIL, Bob), the suggestion is that if I want to lose more weight, I should eat more fat.
And after around 1 month, I found the suggestion works better than fasting!!
Well, after around 9 months keto, my weight has dropped from 75KG to 64KG, I am 162CM (5.31’) tall, and I haven’t gone to hospital to check my fatty liver yet, I will let you know when I do that!

By the way, I just infected covid 19 a week ago, this is my first time infected by it, I got fever for 3 days, and I lost my smell, my smell is still in loss, I believe it will come back in weeks or days.