40 and DETERMINED

Richard, you are a trip! :laughing:

Welcome to the world of feeling better! 8 days is very exciting, and each week will get easier as you become accustomed to eating this way. The food tastes spectacular, the inflammation disappears, and the life quality gets more excellent by the month. Be sure to check out Diet Doctorā€™s site (google Diet Doctor + beginner and + recipes to get info youā€™ll love). Headaches are often the result of a need to supplement electrolytes, so consider increasing your salt, adding some ā€œNo saltā€ product for potassium, and getting a good magnesium malate or glycinate. :slight_smile:

This is exactly what I was going to say but said much better. The bottom line is that what is considered healthy in the first world has caused more disease and obesity and general bad advice in the last 40 years than throughout the prior 200 years combined. I like to research but I do not have a science background. In the last year I have seen reams of data showing how with the low fat, high carb whole grain lifestyle our populations have become sicker and fatter and it tracks perfectly back to 1977 when the US changed to a low fat high carb diet recommendation. Rachel, your first stop may want to be the 2ketodudes podcasts, then Dr. Fung at IntensiveDietaryManagement.com, read from his first posts in 2013 his website has become rather slick but that is recent, try to get past that.

I do think the ketostix are good for the first month, as long as you get some color change you are good. After the first month or keto adaptation they will not change as much because your body becomes more efficient at using ketones. Dark color or light as long as it changes.

As for snacking, when you become keto adapted you may want to look into fasting. I found that broke my snack habit because it got rid of the desire to eat something every time I walked by food. Also, compared to eating nothing, eating keto was a nice option

(Heather) #24

okā€¦ I just back on Keto eating Day #3ā€¦ and headache for sure, feeling like I am getting sickā€¦ AGAIN!! Sad to say I was away from home for 3 wks. Doing ok, till the last week, then totally blindsided at a friends? Wow, Mac and Cheese even!
But that was then this is now. Made Keto lemon drink from the book I would recommend everyone who canā€¦ buyā€¦ Her name is Leanne Vogel Her book that I have is called Complete Guide to a high fat diet. Why do I like this so much? Because there is so much of this Keto diet information, but itā€™s more a male dominated subject. They do so well on it, but females have so much more going on with our hormones that makes just doing one thing, not that easyā€¦ She addresses all this and moreā€¦ Tonight I made her Keto Flu lemon drinkā€¦ LOVE it, totally love it and headache GONE that quickly too. This drink will be in my fridge from now on.
So if interestedā€¦ here is the drink
4 cups water
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp pink salt
4-6 drops stevia (optional)
1 - 4 tbsp. of Aloe Vera juice
mint leave( no mint leaves right now outside for me)
her advice is to sip threw the day. I had a 1/2 cup right now
as and addition if you need protein she suggest adding a couple scoops of collagen
maybe tomorrowā€¦
so Rachelā€¦ stay the course, itā€™s really such a wonderful feeling, just wishing my own female adult off springs would not just roll their eyes and would try itā€¦ but such is lifeā€¦
T

(Darlene Horsley) #25

Welcome aboard! KCKO!

This is really good :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve struggled a bit with giving up sweets but once I decided I didnā€™t think grains were good for me, I just stopped thinking about them (which is SO much easier than trying every single day to stay away from them).

(Rachel Rees) #27

Cannot believe I am on day 14 already, really enjoying this eating lifestyle, trying new foods and recipes

(KCKO, KCFO) #28

I had been thinking of doing something very similar to this, thanks for posting this I can tweak it from here. Probably wonā€™t use stevia or the aloe vera juice, but collagen would be a good addition.

(Heather) #29

I would say, to keep the aloe as itā€™s all about electrolytesā€¦ the stevia wonā€™t change the drinkā€¦ but not my callā€¦ what ever works for you. This worked completely for meā€¦ keep on keeping on

(Dan Morrison) #30

my 2 cents, donā€™t feel you have to cook fancy meals unless you just like to. It is much easier especially in the beginning to keep it very simple

(Ellen) #31

Ooh that sounds tasty, mught try that minus the stevia as I prefer sharp to sweet.

(Rachel Rees) #32

I am beginning to agree with you and that is what I am going to do from tomorrow I have been told that some of the things Iā€™m eating are for maintenance only eg. Butternut squash. I am reading conflicting things, my weight is coming off and I am feeling the improvements but I donā€™t want to sabotage myself, iv always loved experimenting with food and its a hard habit to get out of lol

(Ellen) #33

Welcome Rachel! This forum is amazing, so much info here & everyone is awesome. Keep it up.

Iā€™ve found the food to just be so darned good that it doesnā€™t need to be complicated.
When I was a vegetarian cooking was complicated, trying to make things taste like something they were not, adding gobs of ingredientsā€¦ ugh. Then being hungry again an hour later.

Seriously, I donā€™t think I could ever get tired of bacon, sausage, eggs, fatty meats slow cooked, etc.

I would say no to butternut squash unless you have no insulin resistance.

As for complicated or not, most of my meals are simple unless I get a craving for something that is not keto, such as pancakes or cheesecake. Then I will find a recipe and make it. I like WickedStuffed.com

Tracking in the beginning is important to get a sense. I like Cronometer as it gives micronutrients as well. I had no idea nothing I ate had chronium in it or certain other minerals

(Rachel Rees) #36

I am still going gin and dry red wine is getting me through. Not touched any high carb food. Having a difficult time at the moment, my 12 yr old son is having non epileptic seizures everyday. Noise, crowds, general worries, germs are all triggers. I hurt, my struggling mobility is being tested to the limit and I want to binge eat carbs, I havenā€™t, unless you include the bottle of red wine that I am going to be tempted to mangle on the orders of my hubby. I cannot wait for the Xmas holls just to not to leave the house :frowning:

(Ken) #37

Rachel,

One thing you should understand, and you may already know this, is that this is a long process. A one to two pound fat loss per week is very reasonable and healthy. Thatā€™s between 50 and 100 lbs. In a year. In volume, itā€™s about six pounds of fat per gallon, or 30 lbs. for a five gallon bucket. Your loss, if you weigh yourself, may not appear linear, but coming in fits and starts, as your body does not want you to lose fat. Thatā€™s why itā€™s important to measure yourself about once per month.

When I hit 40 I weighed over 450lbs.

(Melanie Armistead) #38

Good luck Rachel!

I started LCHF to lose weight as despite eating what most people would consider a healthy diet (mostly), at 38-39yo I was getting lumps of fat growing on my already large fat rolls. I was also pre-diabetic with Psoriatic Arthritis, Hashimotos and chronic exercise-induced asthma. Pre-LCHF Iā€™d never had a CRP reading below 18 (18-27 was average for non-flare, over 40 during a flare).

My arthritis and asthma are now in remission, Iā€™m down 30kg and my CRP is 8. Iā€™ve been able to come off methotrexate and Humira and have regained a quality of life that Iā€™d forgotten existed!

(Jessica Masin) #39

I am 45 y/o and have been keto for 3wks. Iā€™ve lost 10lbs so far. I consider myself fairly active but seemed to have hit a roadblock at 40 with weight and onset of prehypertension due to overactive adrenals (specificly hyperaldosteronism). Since starting keto Iā€™ve cut back on my exercise and decreased to just walking at work (verses runing 3-4x/wk. Iā€™d like to start running again but donā€™t know what to consume. I should also mention that Iā€™m Intermitittent Fasting for 19-20hous/day with a 4-5hr window of eating. Should that change if I start running?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

Give yourself a bit more time to become fat-adapted before going back to your exercise regime. Once you are fat-adapted, you should need no carbs while running endurance-type races or training for them. You might, however, need some carbohydrate if you are a sprinter. Keto is best for endurance athletes, not so great for explosive performance.

Exercise is not necessary for losing weight, though it has many other benefits.