350 lbs - Extended Fast advice

(Consensus is Politics) #41

Whoa. No. Lower your protein intake too. I see a red flag there with a protein shake. Fat shake is what you want. And not three a day. Just one. Or, all theee at the same time. If you want to lose weight anyway. Take all your calories in the same feeding window, say 9 am until 1 pm. Don’t eat or snack outside that window. And no sweets of any kind, like diet drinks either. They will kick in insulin and stall your weight loss. Go with bottled water for the rest of the day. There are some branded bottled water that tastes better than others. I think it’s a personal taste. The one I like the wife doesn’t like. I think it has to do with how it’s purified. As some purification methods can create heavy water molecules, which make the water taste better in my opinion. Ok, getting verbos again🤠

The real trick in losing weight is keeping insulin low. Insulin blocks fat from being used. Eating raises insulin. Artificial sweeteners are also thought to raise insulin like a Pavlovian response. Everytime I see a diet soda now I hear a “ding”.

Good luck with your endeavor!

(Jeremy Reynolds) #42

Is there a way to know besides that? I’ve always been able to hold off while hungry. I’m not sure that will be a strong enough marker for me. Perhaps a scientific method like a keytone peestrip from walmart?

(Jeremy Reynolds) #43

Well, i unserstand your concern. But its not entirely a protein shake. It does however have protein powder in it, by design, for nutrional ketosis.

(Consensus is Politics) #44

:+1:

we have those strips and I they only show color when I work out. you will feel a burst of energy, wanting to do stuff. If you feel hungry, just eat something with fat like cheese or nuts, chopped walnuts and pecans, both low in carbs, I buy 2 bags and mix them and keep them in the freezer to keep them fresh, they won’t get hard frozen at all just cold. don’t worry, it’s so simple and you will feel these things! It’s gong to be a lot easier without the extra stuff, that keep it simple people keep saying really works. you are going to save so much money too by sticking with just food, food will get you here, not those pee strips.

(Georgia) #46

My favorite keto things to buy at Wal-Mart are the Macs pork rinds (salt and vinegar are my favorite), Duke’s sausages (located in the snack area with the jerky. Be sure to check the bottom shelf, that’s where they are in my store), and the individual packs of Wholly Guacamole.

Doesn’t Texas have those massive truck stop stores. I can’t remember the name of them right now, but I’ve seen them on Keto channels on Youtube. They seem to have a lot of prepared food items that could be or are keto.

(Jeremy Reynolds) #47

Well I’m now on hour 25 of 36 (possibly 48) of my intermittent fast. I won’t be doing extended fasting for a while, since I’m working machinery in the general public. But my plan is to incorporate something like Bob Briggs did on YouTube.

His plan was essentially eat one day, fast for the next. And lost 145 lbs that way. The eating was only for appetite management. And keto. I intend to do the same.

Eat once a day with lots of fat, medium ammount of protein and as little carbs as possible. As y’all know this will reduce my insulin resistance, keep me on keto, minimal fasting on an easy schedule to follow.

I will monitor how I feel and incorporate Powerade ZERO and salt when needed. Currently, my stomach feels empty. Throughout the day it was on and off but nothing too extreme. I thought about food and sugar a lot. But that’s part of getting over my addiction.

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #48

I would not do any fasting until you are fat adapted, 2-6 weeks. Find some simple things that you can eat that fit the macros for keto. When I travel, I bring Vega protein powder, mix with almond milk and add walnut or avocado oil. Shake it up and you are good. Invest in some coconut oil-to add to coffee.

Keep listening and read some of the other blogs out there to get a good feel for a full day of keto eating. Again, keep it simple-even if you are eating the same meal for a few days. You can get more complex as you go along.

You want this to become a way of life, not a fast pass through. Take your time, there is no rush. One step at a time.

(Candy Lind) #49

Watch those flavored pork rinds! Most of them have maltodextrin in them (high GI). I was disappointed to see maltodextrin in my brand. :cry:

(Jeremy Reynolds) #50

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this, but I thought I’d update any one who was curious. I just finished my first 48 hour fast.

I felt great the whole time. Energetic, in a great mood. I had carb cravings and my stomach felt empty from time to time. But I was never hungry. Sometimes I felt, “I mean, I could eat.” But I don’t think I was ever really hungry. Which blows my mind due to the last 30 years eating whatever I want, when I want.

I kept drinking water, and was severely tempted by a truck stop Fuddruckers (which is unprecidented!), but I pulled through easier than I thought I would. I have never fasted before. I’ve tried, and I couldn’t.

I just ate and felt full so I stopped. I felt stuffed on a pretty small meal. Here’s to the next 48 hours!

(Justin Jordan) #51

On Keto Chow

It’s literally just expensive protein powder. It actually has more carbs relative to the protein in it than, say, Optimum Whey, and costs a good chunk more.

So if money is a concern, there are cheaper options (and Optimum Nutrition’s protein powders taste fine, although as always your mileage may vary)

(Kristin ) #52

I love some coconut butter- just need a spoon!!!

Keto signs- your breath will STANK, you WILL be able to smell it yourself.

About a week in- you’ll start getting the bad ass benefits of keto- extended energy… it’s awesome (I woke up at 4am, it’s now 7pm, and I feel like a fresh daisy)!

Smear everything with butter, olive oil, coconut oil… eat real cheese, Try a P3 and avoid the sweet that they put in it (they sell at a lot of quickie marts)- good for a snack, but eat some other fat with that. Pork rinds and here we refer to them as Chicharrones (my sweet mexican God blessed us with such a divine treat).

Fat is king, and carbs are… not. Try to do raw veggies if they sell those… I love me some green bell pepper raw!

Hope I helped, not sure.

Avoid keto flu by eating lots of salt!

Also any keto is better than no keto, so if you have to start with a shake- do it. #thatsmyopinion #notsureifillgetburnedatthestake

(Kristin ) #53

Keep Calm and Keto On!!!

(Michel Labelle) #54

@JayRay , just wanted to follow up and see how the transition is going?

Keep strong and keto on!

(Michael) #55

Tyler. Tx🖖

(Candy Lind) #56

HEY! Congrats on the fast! At least you could have stayed keto at the Fudd’s! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Glad to hear it’s going well for you.