3 weeks in ketosis and haven’t lost any weight

(Shea Andrew) #1

My boyfriend and I have been doing keto for 3 weeks now and being very strict with it. We meal prep every week and eat all of the same meals but of course I eat less because I’m a girl. I’m 22 years old, 5’5 and 141 lbs. I am working on macros of 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. My calorie goal is 1250 calories a day but I usually eat under that amount. My max net carbs is 20 g but I usually eat under that amount. I’ve been using the keto mojo blood tests and I have been averaging between 1.6 and 3 mmol/L. I drink a ton of water and I’ve been working out cardio and weights about an average of 3 to 4 times a week. My boyfriend has lost about 14 pounds and he even went on a bachelor trip and binge drank one weekend. I haven’t lost any weight and I’ve up my fat intake, tried fasting, and eating more avocados and MCT oil. I’ve had keto flu about 3 times and have a weird taste in my mouth so I know I’ve been in ketosis the last 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. I also haven’t had any bursts of energy and I’ve felt way worse than I ever have. I don’t understand why I haven’t lost any weight and I’m feeling so terrible…I’m starting to think maybe something else is wrong. Please any advice will help.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

Just be patient.
Also, why are your calories 1250? It can take a while to start seeing results, especially for girls. What is your weight goal?

(Shea Andrew) #3

My weight goal is 130 but If possible I would like to be under that. I’ve always averaged about 125 lbs all throughout high school and college but then I moved and started working a desk job and gained a significant amount of weight. I had my calorie goal at 1500 originally, but then I read online to eat less calories and fast if not seeing any weight loss.

(Jeff Gilbertson) #4

See this:

#How does this happen

I think Ted Naiman’s ideas are spot on. If you’re trying to lose weight, set protein GRAMS at the weight you want to be, then keep fat GRAMS below protein GRAMS.

(Charlotte) #5

The less you have to lose the slower and harder it is. Weight loss is not a primary function of keto. You could also not be eating enough calories. You work out, you don’t have a lot of weight to lose, and you just started. This is a slow process starting from the inside out. If you’re looking for a quick way to lose a few pounds keto is not it.

(Carl Keller) #6

Hi Shea.

Please realize that weight loss doesn’t work the same for everybody. There are so many variables that might complicate the process but the way we need to go about keto is very simple.

Most everyone I’ve noticed that comes to the forum and says they are not losing, was using a macro to determine how much to eat… but macros don’t work if you are still hungry or stuffed. The key to healthy weight loss is understanding and responding appropriately to hunger and you can easily achieve that by eating moderate protein and high fat to satiety while keeping carbs low (20 net works great for me). Simply allow your hunger to determine the proper macros and number of calories and eat real food. Oils and butters are nice additions but real meat and vegetables should be your new “bread and butter”.

As for the keto flu, you should make sure you are getting enough daily sodium. Two+ teaspoons per day will keep you from getting keto “flu”. When we restrict carbs, we excrete sodium at a much greater rate and not compensating can lead to most keto flu symptoms.

Also, you might be better off holding off fasting until you get your energy back. You really need that consistent all day energy in order to make this work without sacrificing your metabolism. Patterns of calorie restriction can signal our body to slow down when it does not have competant access to an alternate fuel source (body fat).

And I will leave you with this:

I’m curious to know 1. What are you eating/ what does your meals consist of? 2. What time do you eat? 3.What time do you exercise? I’ve lost nearly 70 pounds on keto. Since October.

So here’s what I do…
I eat fish, chicken, and turkey.
I eat mostly green salads. Romaine, kale, spinach, green bell peppers, green onions, turmeric powder, Cayenne pepper, black pepper, ginger powder, plus olive oil, and whatever dressing. I use homemade.
I bake my meat, but honestly I don’t eat meat all the time. You do not have to drown your body in fat to get results. I don’t eat AS MUCH or AS OFTEN as other people either.

(Simon Saunders) #8

I do keto psmf, working well for me, only 5kg befoere 7kg away before hitting normal BMI again.

(Lisa marie t) #9

It’s a known fact the bigger you are the faster you lose .like a 600 lb person can lose a easy 100 on 1200 low carb high protein like dr now does for his large patients or doing keto
I was 342.4 when I started last feb 16/18, I’m down 277 was down to 274 I’ve also lost 70 inches… it the inches to me that matter ,however I was p.off because of gallbladder so had to switch low carb until I heal hopefully next week
Don’t be discouraged it almost sounds like you expected the weight to melt off…in 3 weeks?
Don’t sweat the small stuff it will come off when it does just don’t give up ž

(UsedToBeT2D) #11

Read Luckymisslucy’s post again. You’re not much overweight (if at all).

(Connie Fallinger) #13

Hi Carl,
I just figured out that the little arrow allows me to respond to a post. Your comment helped me so much-I was about to quit when I am a month in. I haven’t lost much weight, around ten pounds. I started February 5th. This was a last ditch hit bottom attempt at getting healthier. I have so many health issues. Chronic right-side diastolic heat failure, ME, Osteoarthritis, Lipedema (the disease they call fat) and nerve pain in low back. Life is pretty miserable.
How do I post a question from an IPhone please?