3 days water-fast, but what are the effects?

fasting

(R. Dekker) #1

After 6 weeks doing intermittent fasting (I eat in a 5 hour time frame) I’m doing a 3 day water fast now. This is my first water fast ever.
I’m in the third day now and actually I don’t feel as horrible as most blogs tell me it would.
I do crave to eat something, so it take some discipline not to break the fast early. So what most blogs tell that there is no hunger in day three, doesn’t count for me.

For me things seems to go different that I expected anyway. Besides a very slight headache, don’t have the ‘sick’ feeling what blogs and Youtube video’s warn for.
But I do feel tired, cold and less focused.
Also I gain a little weight (prolly because I drink more water then normal, and In three days I didn’t had a ‘number 2’

Here is my question.
What can I expect after I break the fast tonight in terms of tiredness, focus and weight loss etc.

(TJ Borden) #2

It could be because you already regularly IF. I found it’s similar for me. Day one is easy because it’s not until dinner time that I’m used to eating anyway. Day two is a little tougher but not much since mentally I’ve really only missed one meal at that point. The evening of day two and all of day three is usually the toughest for me as far as hunger. I have to stay busy/distracted to keep my mind off of it. Day four is usually much easier in that hunger has pretty much gone away, but the mental game starts “wait, it’s Sunday, and I haven’t eaten since Wednesday night?” I’ve gone to five days a couple times but I haven’t been able to get past the mental block of five days.

(R. Dekker) #3

Thank you for sharing your experience, It’s helpful to read it. I’ve done my 3 days water fast now and I’m not sure if I will do this again. I’m one full day after breaking the fast. And I still have back pain, (which was gone since I did IF. But maybe the euphoric feeling, where everybody is talking about, comes in a few days. :slight_smile:

(Candy Lind) #4

Maybe three days was a little more than your body was ready for. Try backing down to 36 or 48 hours next time.

“But I do feel tired, cold and less focused.”
Are you well fat-adapted? Do you usually have lots of energy & mental clarity? If not, it might just be too soon to fast. If you have cold feet or hands, some people find eating some butter or coconut oil will warm them up.

“Also I gain a little weight (prolly because I drink more water then normal, and In three days I didn’t had a ‘number 2’)”
You might need electrolytes, especially magnesium, which will help with the #2 problem. Try drinking a couple of Keto-aides each day to balance them.

(R. Dekker) #5

Thank you CandyLindTX
I will keep this in mind for my next fast :slight_smile: