3 day into bone broth fasting not feeling better, leaky gut

(Maira) #1

Hi, I am new to fasting. I think I suffer from leaky gut or candida.
I have an autoinmune diesease, graves disease, my thyroid was completely removed, so now im taking thyroxine for life, bad digestion, bloating, mind fog, bad memory, food sensitivities, being exhausted all the time, tendency to depression, anxiety, sleep problems etc…

As I had some days off I decided to go on a broth fasting diet as I have heard that is good for leaky gut. I am quite skinny, so im not looking foward to lose more weight it is more about health.

I drink in the morning apple cider vinegar, then celery juice sometimes with cucumber then just bone broth every meal and herbal teas or water with lemon or lime. This is the first time I am doing a fast and I am a single mum as well my son is a toddler with lots of energy so it is a bit challenging but I would like to complete a 4 or 5 day fasting.

Today is day 3. I feel a bit frustrated as read other stories online and people seems to start feeling better by day 3. I feel crap. I did not sleep well, many toilet runs last night and diahrrea, headache, feeling low emotionally, palpitations, low energy, mind is foggy as usual, anxiety as usual… Other people at this stage was feeling with lots of energy, sleeping well and great in general… I guess everyone is different…

Anyone has been through a similar fasting experience?

Thank you very much

(Edith) #2

It sounds to me like your body is telling you to break the fast. If the fast is causing your body that much stress, it is defeating the purpose.

Maybe use intermittent fasting for now.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

Break the fast.

It probably is not a good idea to jump into a long day right away, even if it’s just bone broth. You should work up to it slowly and don’t forget to feast before so you have energy

You didn’t mention if you were already keto before starting this fast?

The first week or so eliminating carbs can cause electrolyte imbalances and sometimes withdrawal symptoms.

I agree with the others that diving right into a fast can be challenging, but have two additional notes:

salt - you probably need more salt;

celery and cucumber juice might be a problem. I used to make that with lemon and ginger and loved it! but celery is very high in nitrates and if you’re dealing with autoimmune issues you should keep it very simple. Maybe not even ACV, as wonderful as that can be, since folks with histamine issues react to it.

If you want to try another bone broth fast, I would stick to bone broth, water and salt.

(Maira) #6

Thank you for the answers. I tried the candida diet a while ago but was not able to keep eating that restricted being honest. I removed a while ago diary and wheat-gluten though. I looked into the keto diet as well am I am happy to try it, maybe without the diary. The reason to remove diary is the allergies and my nose is constatly running and blocked, since removed dairy and wheat got a bit better but still annoying. I am happy to try any diet really if I get better.

I will maybe leave the cellery. I read online that celery juice on a empty stomach works very well for people with gut issues. I only added the cucumber because had lots in the fridge , as I thought they have lots of water.

Im having some pink salt with water now.

Today I felt a bit better no diahrrea but still palpitations and the brain fog is really bad.

I am still not sure if breaking the fast tomorrow or continue for one day more… I dont want to give up but I read that the 4th day is when you are supposed to see more positive changes…

After this experience im thinking of doing intermitent fasting instead and getting used to it maybe in the future another long one.

Thanks

(Bunny) #7

Here is video by Dr. Berg:

If I Have No Thyroid, Do I Have to Take Thyroid Hormones (Synthroid)? Dr. Berg talks about if you need thyroid hormones if you have no thyroid gland. The answer is yes, but try to find a natural thyroid hormone because it makes multiple hormones. The T4 and T3 hormones are only made by the thyroid but coverted by the liver so it’s not just a matter of taking thyroid hormones, its a matter of them being effective, so if your liver or gallbladder are a problem, then you may have thyroid hormones, but they are not becoming activated?

Notes:

[1] “…Levothyroxine is the main thyroid hormone produced by the thyroid gland and the synthetic form is the most common form of thyroid hormone replacement therapy. Today, some individuals prefer dessicated thyroid extract as a more “natural” thyroid hormone. …” …American Thyroid Association (ATA)

(Ashley) #8

What auto immune do you have? I also have auto immune (pots, dysautonomia). I had a hard time in the beginning with fasting due to this. It got better, but don’t push it if your body isn’t ready yet!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

If you want to fast but are concerned about losing weight could you get the same gut healing benefits from a fat fast? Also it seems like many people get GI issues to improve with a carnivore diet.

Also try eating fresh fermented vegetables regularly for probiotics to help with gut health. It’s good that you already gave up dairy, that would have been my next suggestion. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Maira) #10

thanks for the video, I am going to have a look in a minute.

Graves disease… I dont think it got better, I just was trying to be positive.

Well being honest I dont mind losing weight if I can get cured or healed being honest. Yeah, I am watching some videos on sauerkraut, going to make a batch today.

I feel like crying today. I feel like this fasting was a bit of waste of time and energy. I am breaking the fast today, just going soon to the shops for some food. When I woke up today did not feel any different and my brain fog is as bad as usual. Everyone says fasting brings you mind clarity? Why did not work for me? The only positive thing I can take from this is that I am mentally stronger than I thought. I never thought I could make it that far.

I guess for some people is easier if they dont have as many health problems. Maybe I would have to do this for longer or just a water fasting, but I dont feel strong or motivated right now. I am going to try next intermitent fasting and look into keto diet and anticandida diet again or GAPS diet or paleo diet.

Thanks, have a good day.

Can I assume from the context of your posts that you are not significantly overweight? Fasting for multiple days can be very difficult for someone who isn’t carrying 50 lbs or so of extra bodyfat, even if they are already keto and fat adapted. Please don’t be upset with yourself that it was a “failure”. I hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

oh dear - Maira, I’m sorry you’re have a rough time of it. Fasting definitely is not for everyone all the time, and even experienced fasters have some good days and some not-so-good ones.

I love fermented foods and eat sauerkraut every day, so I don’t want to knock that suggestion, but the people who have the most striking success on carnivore seem to be folks with autoimmune diseases. As long as you’re researching different things you might want to take a look at carnivore.