3 Day Fat Fast

(Karin Geertsma) #1

I do IF nearly 7 days a week (usually a 20:4), and I’ve been debating an extended fast for quite some time now. I’m not sure I’m quite ready to take the leap yet, and am considering doing a fat fast instead to break me in. Does anyone have any experience in this or any recommendations? Thank you!

(Cathie Russell) #2

I’m actually about to start day three of a three day fast. I’ve had coffee with fat in the mornings and water the rest of the time. It’s gone really well so far. Anytime I thought I “heard” a tinge of hunger, I drank some water and it went away. For me, it’s been much easier than I thought.

I think the beauty of this is, go until the end or you don’t think you can anymore. And that’s all ok because it’s your body. The next time you try you’ll probably be able to go longer.

(Karin Geertsma) #3

That is very sound advice, we all have to find what works for us as individuals. Thank you!

(James storie) #4

When you IF, at mealtime are you actually hungry? If you are still hungry, then youre probably not ready. Why don’t you just try pushing the limit? For instance, if you normally eat dinner, skip it one night and plan on eating the following morning instead. If this feels good, keep pushing the window until you can fast longer. Fasting is a great tool, but if you rush into it, it can be miserable.

(Karin Geertsma) #5

Sometimes I’m hungry, other times not so much until I start cooking and smelling the food. I’m pretty confident I could skip dinner and last until breakfast, I’d hopefully be asleep most the time anyway :slight_smile: Thank you!

(James storie) #6

That’s what makes it an easy step, also just knowing that you plan to eat in the morning keeps the monster inside your head quite! :laughing:

Karin–If this is helpful. For me, I started with IF as you have here, then mixed in several 42 hour fasts (a la Jason Fung and his Complete Guide To Fasting) periodically over a few weeks…then, did a 5 day black coffee/water/tea fast. Took several weeks off…Now, just completing day 8 on what will be a 10-14 day. I think you are absolutely on the right track!

For me, what has been most helpful, is psychologically understanding that hunger does not compound, and realizing you just have to ride out the wave, has been very helpful. Also, that ghrelin production subsides after day 2-3 and opens the door for a longer fast (again, thank you Dr. Fung!). Hanging on to those facts I believe is empowering and gets one through that day 2-3 window.

Good luck and you got this!

(Andrew Anderson) #8

I decided to finally leap. Worst case I cave and eat a great Keto meal and try again.

When you put it that way… Great mindset! I’m working up to it now.[quote=“Mr.A46221, post:8, topic:12462”]
Worst case I cave and eat a great Keto meal and try again.
[/quote]

(Karin Geertsma) #10

Thank you both! I plan on having my last meal tomorrow at 3pm and breaking fast Saturday afternoon. While I’m nervous I’m also very excited, I’ve been slowly extending my fasting periods for quite some time now and I think I’m ready! I love that worst case scenario is me enjoying a great Keto meal, great mindset! :grin:

(Karen Fricke) #11

Alternate day fasting seems to be working to me. I do just tea, water, and salt on Mon, Weds, and Fri, and eat lunch and dinner the other 4 days. It’s a lot easier to fast today, knowing I can eat good size meals tomorrow. I get 3 forty hour taste per week.

(Melissa ) #12

I’ve done as long as 7 days, but now routinely do a 3 day weekly. In the beginning I used bone broth, but don’t need it anymore. The truth is, if you have fat to burn, and are fat adapted, you don’t need to eat. I find that any hunger is really just in my head, and I ride it out. Your body is really an amazing thing!

(Karin Geertsma) #13

Wow, I’m impressed with you all! That’s a lot of fasting. But I agree, the body is truly amazing and if you can get over the mental aspect, you’re usually good to go! I’m only 18 hours in but feeling great so far and feeling bound and determined. I’d like to do a run (4 miles or so) right before breaking my fast on Saturday, but since it’s my first long fast I’m not sure if that’s advisable or not. Any thoughts?

(Rosi ) #14

I appreciate your response here to go until the end or until you don’t think you can anymore. I needed to hear that this morning, as I am wanting to fast but I can’t wrap my mind around doing it for three days. One moment at a time, one day at a time.