290 to 210 in 5 Months

(Gerald D Maas) #1

Progress Pics https://imgur.com/a/5BHOmpc

5 Months ago I decided to start Keto. At that point in time I was only thinking about weight loss and finding anyway I could get down to a weight that my health was not in danger with.

5 months ago I told myself I would be very strict and give Keto a fair shot. Then something happened after I was about a month in. I became fat adapted and my hunger greatly diminished. I would sit down at a table and eat and feel full… that had not ever happened before unless I ate a crazy stupid amount of food. At that point I wanted to know what was going on. Luckily I just had blood work done before I started and noticed that my blood sugar was fine but my insulin levels were very, very high and that I had pretty high insulin resistance which means I was going down a road to become a type 2 diabetic.

I am not sure that most people understand how huge finally getting control of my hunger was. I NEVER, EVER felt full before. I thought I was just a freakish pig that was obsessed with food. Turns out that was only partially true. I was poisoning my body with sugar and too much glucose. Keto gives me the power over food and not the other way around.

I am now 10 pounds away from my goal weight of 200. I thought at this point I would be dreaming of giving myself one day to pig out on anything I wanted to as a reward but… I do not want those things anymore. My tastes and cravings are changing. I was extremely worried about maintenance before but with Keto and fasting as tools I have something that I have not had in a long time about my health… Hope.

If you are lurking on this sub and always feel hungry and never full and wondering how in the hell you can ever lose weight when you feel like you are starving then go strict Keto for 6 weeks and see how it feels. You might be like me and realize that you are not just a fat slob and there is actually a huge problem in your body that can be helped by your diet.

(Susan) #2

Congratulations, Gerald! 80 pounds in 5 months is astounding. I have been doing strict Keto since February -9 months and have only lost 53 pounds, so I am jealous but happy for you. Best wishes for the rest of your 10 pounds and Maintenance.

I would love to know what an average day’s food looks like for you and/or how many days you Fast. I Fast 3 days a week, 44 hours each time and do a monthly 72+ hour fast. The rest of the time I eat TMAD, for a 20:4 IF. My foods are no dairy, no sweeteners, and mostly carnivore, so as low carb as possible, and always less then 20 grams net, but sometimes zero.

(John) #3

Awesome progress, Gerald. It is such an amazing feeling when you suddenly realize that YOU are in control of your eating! And that it was never really a defect in your character, but was just the chemical and hormonal responses from the types of food you had been eating.

Great work, and congrats on your success!

(Windmill Tilter) #4

Astonishing progress. You look amazing! Congrats!!! :+1::+1::+1:

Out of curiosity, what kind of fasting were you doing?

(Gerald D Maas) #5

53 Pounds is amazing progress!! I only watch my carb intake and eyeball calories. I do a mixture of OMAD, 16:8 and a 60 hour fast. Now just to let you know I had to work up to this at first I just was watching my carbs but as my hunger decreased my fasting has increased.

My typical week looks like this… Monday OMAD- Tuesday- 16:8 Wednesday I have lunch and start my 60 hour fast- Thursday fasting- Friday-fasting - Saturday I make sure to eat more this day to keep my metabolism from crashing. So I strive to get 2000 to 2500 calories in. Sunday OMAD.

I change it up depending on my calendar but this is what I like to stick with.

(Gerald D Maas) #6

Thankyou I appreciate it!

(Gerald D Maas) #7

Here is my typical week of eating

My typical week looks like this… Monday OMAD- Tuesday- 16:8 Wednesday I have lunch and start my 60 hour fast- Thursday fasting- Friday-fasting - Saturday I make sure to eat more this day to keep my metabolism from crashing. So I strive to get 2000 to 2500 calories in. Sunday OMAD

(Susan) #8

Awesome =). Well you have done really well, so I wish you the best on your continuing journey =).

(Gerald D Maas) #9

thankyou! Congrats on your progress as well.

(Susan) #10

Thank you, I still have a long way to go, but over time, I will get there! =).

Hi Gerald great progress!!!

I started my keto journey through a paid service and some of the guidance given about meat intake (330 grams cooked and 1/3 rd is a meal serving) and not eating to much after a fast has been different. So I would love to see what you eat on your different eating plans.