24 hour fast

(Leslie Smith) #1

Today I completed my first 24 hour fast. My last meal was about 7:30 yesterday, and I ate dinner this evening at 8:30. I drank water and black coffe (with just a little erythritol). I feel amazing and was barely hungry but I keep reading about taking a salt supplement when fasting. Should I be adding this to my day when I do an extended fast??
TIA :grinning:

(TJ Borden) #2

It’s probably not necessary on a 24 hour fast as long as you’re getting plenty when you eat. Going longer, and it’s a good idea, but like nearly everything keto, also varies for everyone

Congratulations! Major accomplishment! Well done👍

Congrats! At the end of 24 hours I am dying for food. Lol

(Kevin Sodhi) #5

I find that it depends on how much water I’m consuming (and peeing out) and if I’ll be sweating/exercising. I generally add at least one nuun tablet to a water bottle for normal days on a 20/4 IF, and may have two if I’ll be sweating things out before my meal.

Congrats on the first day! :+1:t4:

(Chris) #6

If I don’t get hungry during a 24 hour fast, is that a good indication that I im fat-adapted? 3 weeks into keto, as well as 16: 8 fasting. Carbs have been under 30g a day

(karen) #8

some other signs are sleeping better, having more energy, more endurance, no carb cravings and decreased appetite. I don’t know that you can know for sure, for myself I just KCKO, assuming I’m getting there. Each fast gets easier, and to me that’s a good sign, but I’m still a bit lethargic and my sleep is crap - which could obviously be related and not due to fat adaptation at all. Who Knows!! But I’m enjoying the journey, hope you are too. :relaxed:

(Robert C) #9

I agree - after 3 weeks of keto, not feeling hungry on a fast (or even being able to go 4 hours without carbs) shows you are now not exclusively a glucose burner but, fat adaptation is not an all or nothing (a 24-hour fast is a good start though!).

Also, there are fasting tricks to get you through a 24-hour fast without hunger even if you are not very fat adapted:

• Keep yourself busy
  • Do not over exercise
  • Monitor your mood
  • Realize hunger pangs pass quickly

If someone were (consciously or unconsciously) following that or similar advice, they would probably say they did not get very hungry compared to the person that:

• Sat around with nothing to do
  • Ran a marathon
  • Stayed up too late or woke up too early
  • Fought with a family member
  • Kept watching YouTube food critique videos