2019 October Carnivore Challenge?!

keto
challenge
carnivore

@BeStill I haven’t heard that before-about the vit C, so i’m not sure!

:+1:t3: Let’s do it!! Today so far, I have been fasting, so it’ll be an OMAD day. I will probably have what i brought for lunch today: Filet mignon wrapped in bacon, 2 eggs & some butter. And to make sure i get enough protein, i might make some tuna or chicken salad also, mixed with some mayo & a little mustard :slight_smile: might have some cheese too if i’m still hungry. I do plan on spreading this out a little bit, over an hour or 2 before i start fasting again.

I’m limiting but not eliminating dairy this time around. I went back to carnivore a few weeks ago. I have noticed that a little shredded cheese makes it a whole lot easier to eat ground beef over and over, though. Still keeping a little plain whole fat yogurt as my sweet treat, just not having a whole lot at a time.
Also have started making a treat out of raw suet with a little salt.

I’m thinking dairy might have been behind some skin stuff so may drop it altogether at some point to see since so far it seems to be better with limiting the dairy.

@barefootbob Thats what i am planning on doing too, at least in the beginning. I use cheese to dress up my foods a bit, not necessarily a snack or anything. I am also looking forward to using this opportunity to try new proteins, like organs and fats of that sort. Any suggestions for someone who hasn’t tried anything out of the ‘norm’ of meats??

I like liver cooked in tallow with just a little bit of good butter and, of course, salt. If you aren’t so sure about it maybe try calf liver first, or even chicken livers. Chicken liver isn’t as nutritious but it’s really easy to cook, or even be make into a pate. Calf liver is much milder in taste than standard beef liver.
Also, cod livers are good. You can get those in cans from Amazon and just eat them right out of the can.
I’ve got some beef kidney and tripe in the freezer but I haven’t experimented with those yet.

If you have a butcher shop nearby maybe check with them on buying fat trimmings, I do that some times and just fry up trimmings along with the rest of my meal.

(Elizabeth ) #25

Already carnivore almost 21 months plus I mod two strict carnivore groups on Facebook. I’ll be curious to see how you do :slight_smile:

(Elizabeth ) #26

I wrap chicken livers in bacon and broil or air fry. I call it meat candy and they are delicious

(Karen) #27

I see that you only eat meat. You also say that dairy messes up your weight regulation, but can you digest it? Do you have any problems digesting other vegetables? I’m interested in carnivore but I don’t want to lose the enzymes and biome that I have that help me digest these foods.

(mole person) #28

Yes. I can digest both. I went on an 11 day camping trip in late September and had both. I also eat a more regular diet when I’m with my family. My medical conditions begin to return and I put on weight steadily but I’m able to eat the food and enjoy it for a few days.

In fact, it’s my preference to maintain a bit of digestive flexibility this way. The trick is to start small if you haven’t had plants for a while. I usually start with a bit of fruit. That always seems fine.

On my camping trip I ate small amounts of nuts and seeds (2 tblsps/day approx), sauces with vegetable bases (tomato, onions, etc), coconut oil in my coffee, ghee with my fish and meat dishes, and a fair bit of cheddar cheese on various dishes. None of this was any issue. In fact I felt wonderful.

One thing that was interesting was at the start of the trip my intention had been to also include 100% cocoa powder in my coffee twice a day. But the first day I felt lousy (my abdominal pain flared) and it seemed to coincide very tightly to when I drank that drink. So I cut it out and the rest of the trip went perfectly. So, I think I’ve identified cocoa as a major evil for my system.

Have you seen my beef binge buster thread? It’s a protocol that gives me extremely rapid weight loss and craving control without any fasting or caloric restriction. I use it now anytime I want to lose a few pounds or I start to feel less well again. It always fixes me up.

Basically, the diet is just extremely fatty beef, extra beef fat, bone broth, salt, and water. I lose about 1/2 a day every single day when I do this even when I’m already under 110 lbs.

(mole person) #29

It’s not about desire to overconsume. Try a month without dairy and track your actual caloric intake. I can’t tell that I’m eating a lot more when I have dairy but I just am. Sometimes 400-500 calories extra a day. When I eat dairy I seem to be eating to satiety just like when I’m not eating dairy. But in fact I’m eating much more actual food. On dairy I don’t lose weight ever anymore. Without dairy I can still lose weight even past my current maintenance weight easily.

(mole person) #30

Which groups?

(Bob M) #31

Sorry, I think counting calories is basically useless. Say you get two ribeyes. One has more fat, and one less. What are the calories that are different? What happens if you get 80% ground beef and drain it (as I usually do)? What are the calories then?

I have gone through times without dairy and times with dairy, and I’ll be darned if I can tell a difference. And the scale sucks. For instance, I can lose 5+ pounds just by fasting a single day. What does that tell me? I went an entire year and got DEXA scans done, and in one year, I gained about 4 pounds of muscle and lost about 6 pounds of fat, which means a scale difference of 2 pounds. That means the scale can’t tell me what I need to know. (Thus, why I never get on the scale now.)

If you have an issue with dairy, that’s great that you found that out Just don’t assume that others have that issue. The may or may not.

I will be doing a (strict) carnivore diet soon to test higher and lower proteins. I will be using calories, only as a test. I’ll then add dairy back and see what happens. But without DEXA scans, even were my scale weight to go up, it’s meaningless. For someone like you, who weighs I think 100 pounds, the scale might be useful. For me, when I can easily get swings of 5 pounds in a day, it’s useless.

(April Harkness) #32

Speaking of carnivory… I posted a before/after of me on standard keto vs me on carnivore keto - https://www.instagram.com/p/B3HXeLpAe_q/

Carnivory :joy::joy: it sounds like some kind of sorcery :slight_smile:

I would definitely like to try carnivory, I love liver, but I just can’t eat all other offal, nose-to-tail…

(Elizabeth ) #34

Almost none of the long term carnivores eat any organs. Nor do they eat grass fed. I like chicken livers wrapped in bacon, once a month but that’s all I eat of organs.

So you just eat meat?

anything produced by an animal. that is what i go by, and it’s easy to determine if you think of it that way. So, as long as it came from an animal, it’s up for grabs :smile:

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #37

As long as I can have dairy, I’m in. I can’t drink my coffee without cream and love butter too much!

Aa ok, so meat, eggs, dairy?

(Elizabeth ) #39

Yep I don’t tolerate dairy or eggs, I eat mainly beef, (70%) pork(25%), occasionally lamb, seafood duck and chicken.

Dairy’s no-no for me, too, histamine intolerant…
Interesting… I read somewhere that a carnivore should the whole animal, skin, cartilage, offal, etc., it sort of hung in the back of my mind :slight_smile: