2018 Lenten Fasting

fasting
lent

(Damon Chance) #101

I’m still working on my formulation. Orthodox Lent is different than Catholic so I’m trying to find a way to water fast most of Lent and still abstain from meat for the days I do eat. I’ve grown to favor a mostly carnivore (still eat avacados and nuts) diet lately so this will be a whole different way of looking at food for the next month and a half. I will be following along and participating as well.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #102

Hey Damon, good to have you!

Let me ask exactly how the Orthodox Lent varies from Roman Lent. I have a few ideas but am not positive.

Basically Roman Catholic Lent, in the US, is fasting from animal (mammal) flesh on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (required for those 18-58) and abstinence on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays of Lent (14 years and older.)

I’m a few minutes away from 136 hours. Found a bug in my big cup of coffee this morning, so I tossed that one (just the coffee, not the cup, lol) and just had what would have been my second big cup. I’ll switch to tea for the rest of the day.

Last night I had my first big energy surge, so I didn’t sleep much at all. I guess I’m a late bloomer, because its normal for me to have to fast about 5 days or so before that surge hits. I’m hoping it settles down soon. I like my sleep, lol.

Oh, btw, if these little daily updates I’m posting are just annoying and pissing y’all off, then please let me know and I’ll stop. I don’t want anyone upset with me! I’m not trying to set up some kind of fasting competition or anything by making these posts, I promise!

Just a few days until Lenten Fast officially starts! Is everybody ready?

(Damon Chance) #104

Meat, dairy, and wine for the full period from what I’m understanding. I am very new to the faith so still learning. This is American/Russian Orthodox so there may be some small differences from Eastern or Greek but from what I remember they are basically the same.
This week is meat free only and there will be a cheese feast this Sunday before the full Lent fasting starts.

Quick blurb from the American Orthodox Church website says "During the Great Fast—and all lenten seasons—we are called upon to refrain from meat, dairy, fish, wine, and olive oil. "

I found some more in-depth information from the Antiochan Orthodox website:
http://antiochian.org/fasting-great-lent
There are some periods there where they suggest full water fasts are to be followed but only if you can. There is no compulsion to do anything the person can’t do. (although we all know that fasting can be done by nearly anyone)

Hope that helps… its been good for me to do some research.

I think this is what makes a community! :grin:

I was planning on starting on Wednesday, but I hit my weight gain threshold, so I started early. This is my 3rd day. I am planning to fast until Sunday (though travel arrangements may interrupt it).

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #107

Hi Virginia, Personally, I love your updates so keep them coming. We are all doing fasting in one way or another so we may have a lot of updates not all timed the same. That means we can get inspiration from others almost every day of the week!

I’m still starting after dinner Tuesday so will be fasting Wednesday-Friday until Easter.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #108

Thanks Damon, if I were Orthodox I may just do another 46-day fast as I did last year.

Someone mentioned doing 6-day fasts each week and then 1 meal on Sundays, a feast day all year. That would seem a bit difficult as refeeding needs to be managed especially after a 6-7 day fast!

Keep calm and fast on!

(Damon Chance) #109

Mon-Fri may be doable I have done several fasts at that length and referring isn’t too horrible. Consistency is key for this so I’m still thinking on it.

I second that. I’ve been doing OMAW for several months with no problems refeeding.

(Simon L Smith) #111

I plan to fast for Lent (all 40 days, so not Sundays) again this year.

As of now (still deciding and talking to my wife), I plan to only drink BLACK coffee in the morning and then water and my homemade Ketorade (salt, potassium, magnesium).

Obviously staying Keto on Sunday.

I have done one 40 day fast (40 days straight, not Lent) and a few Lent fasts, and a few 1-week fasts.

Look forward to the updates and may give a few of my own.

Any input, thoughts, feedback, usggestions welceomed.

Simon

(Keto Travels) #112

That’s what I am aiming for, and i didn’t even know that as a historical practice :slight_smile:
Iwill have to see how I go, working full time with a lot of travel and not enough sleep as a rule … if I feel I am getting too exhausted I might have to have more frequent redress … but I will keep this as my aspirational goal!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #113

Sounds great Simon! I look forward to your updates.

My biggest problem last year was being bored with not eating. I found myself browsing the ‘Show me your burgers’ and similar recipe threads which didn’t help but I managed to resist.

I spent the last 2 weeks planning my refeeding and what I needed to buy to be able to make all of the recipes I favorited. In hindsight, that may not have been the best thing to do as I may have overdone the eating.

I should have listened to myself when, on Easter Sunday, I realized that I wasn’t hungry and could continue fasting.

Good fasting for you journey and feel free to give us an update now and then.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #114

@Bluhourbird I have seen many people post that they have problems fasting while traveling while I never looked at it as a burden.

I think I will create a new thread just about traveling while fasting and post the link here as well.

Decided to break at 6:00 pm last night with, of all things, some dessicated coconut. (I know, I know, I’m weird as all get-out…call the men with the little white jackets that have reeeeeaaaalllly long arms - the jackets, not the men.) I had been talking to a friend on the phone about keto for over an hour, and that phosphorus thing was really bugging me! So I decided to break at 142 hours and have a mug muffin today. Not really hungry but I’m going to have it soon. I’m not recommending this for anyone else. It’s just that post stroke keto isn’t well-researched yet, and there is ALWAYS a chance of more stroke hitting out of the blue. And THAT scares me more than anything else! So I maybe am a bit overly cautious here, but I think that’s OK.
So one mug muffin coming up and then back to fasting this evening.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #116

Glad to hear you are feeling so well! On with the fasting!

Had my muffin in 2 servings. Made the mistake of not reading the baking powder label and using 2 tsp of that for the phosphorous and adding 1/4 tsp Redmond Real Salt (use it in everything.) Holy Salt Lick, Batman! Sheesh, that sucker was salty!!! 2000mg in the one muffin! Ye gods! So to avoid stroking out, I divided it into 2 servings and hit Amazon. Trying to decide between Bob’s Red Mill double-acting and a sodium-free version from Hain. Quart of tea with that, and I’m stuffed! I won’t weigh again until Sunday. I’m expecting several tons of water retention for the next few days from all the sodium, lol.

Anyway, finishing up the last of the tea now and will restart the fasting clock in a few.

(Keto Travels) #118

For me it’s not traveling per se but business travel which generally means very early mornings, and/or late nights, and lots of business or team lunches and dinners … so basically less time, less sleep, more social pressure. I find that stressful.

(Hal) #119

I’m in with the 14th - 16th fast. Thanks for the challenge and the leadership.

(Jeff Davis) #120

Blessed Ash Wednesday to all! I will be fasting today through lunch tomorrow, and again on Friday, through lunch Saturday. Wonderful to join you on this Lenten journey!