2018 Lenten Fasting

fasting
lent

(Damon Chance) #109

Mon-Fri may be doable I have done several fasts at that length and referring isn’t too horrible. Consistency is key for this so I’m still thinking on it.

I second that. I’ve been doing OMAW for several months with no problems refeeding.

(Simon L Smith) #111

I plan to fast for Lent (all 40 days, so not Sundays) again this year.

As of now (still deciding and talking to my wife), I plan to only drink BLACK coffee in the morning and then water and my homemade Ketorade (salt, potassium, magnesium).

Obviously staying Keto on Sunday.

I have done one 40 day fast (40 days straight, not Lent) and a few Lent fasts, and a few 1-week fasts.

Look forward to the updates and may give a few of my own.

Any input, thoughts, feedback, usggestions welceomed.

Simon

(Keto Travels) #112

That’s what I am aiming for, and i didn’t even know that as a historical practice :slight_smile:
Iwill have to see how I go, working full time with a lot of travel and not enough sleep as a rule … if I feel I am getting too exhausted I might have to have more frequent redress … but I will keep this as my aspirational goal!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #113

Sounds great Simon! I look forward to your updates.

My biggest problem last year was being bored with not eating. I found myself browsing the ‘Show me your burgers’ and similar recipe threads which didn’t help but I managed to resist.

I spent the last 2 weeks planning my refeeding and what I needed to buy to be able to make all of the recipes I favorited. In hindsight, that may not have been the best thing to do as I may have overdone the eating.

I should have listened to myself when, on Easter Sunday, I realized that I wasn’t hungry and could continue fasting.

Good fasting for you journey and feel free to give us an update now and then.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #114

@Bluhourbird I have seen many people post that they have problems fasting while traveling while I never looked at it as a burden.

I think I will create a new thread just about traveling while fasting and post the link here as well.

Decided to break at 6:00 pm last night with, of all things, some dessicated coconut. (I know, I know, I’m weird as all get-out…call the men with the little white jackets that have reeeeeaaaalllly long arms - the jackets, not the men.) I had been talking to a friend on the phone about keto for over an hour, and that phosphorus thing was really bugging me! So I decided to break at 142 hours and have a mug muffin today. Not really hungry but I’m going to have it soon. I’m not recommending this for anyone else. It’s just that post stroke keto isn’t well-researched yet, and there is ALWAYS a chance of more stroke hitting out of the blue. And THAT scares me more than anything else! So I maybe am a bit overly cautious here, but I think that’s OK.
So one mug muffin coming up and then back to fasting this evening.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #116

Glad to hear you are feeling so well! On with the fasting!

Had my muffin in 2 servings. Made the mistake of not reading the baking powder label and using 2 tsp of that for the phosphorous and adding 1/4 tsp Redmond Real Salt (use it in everything.) Holy Salt Lick, Batman! Sheesh, that sucker was salty!!! 2000mg in the one muffin! Ye gods! So to avoid stroking out, I divided it into 2 servings and hit Amazon. Trying to decide between Bob’s Red Mill double-acting and a sodium-free version from Hain. Quart of tea with that, and I’m stuffed! I won’t weigh again until Sunday. I’m expecting several tons of water retention for the next few days from all the sodium, lol.

Anyway, finishing up the last of the tea now and will restart the fasting clock in a few.

(Keto Travels) #118

For me it’s not traveling per se but business travel which generally means very early mornings, and/or late nights, and lots of business or team lunches and dinners … so basically less time, less sleep, more social pressure. I find that stressful.

(Hal) #119

I’m in with the 14th - 16th fast. Thanks for the challenge and the leadership.

(Jeff Davis) #120

Blessed Ash Wednesday to all! I will be fasting today through lunch tomorrow, and again on Friday, through lunch Saturday. Wonderful to join you on this Lenten journey!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #121

Welcome Hal and Jeff!

And Lent has started and so has my first weekly fast!

Happy fasting to all

Hey y’all, I restarted the fasting clock at 8:00 pm last night and am at 14 hours. I woke up full this morning after yesterday’s muffin adventure. Still full. Having tea now. I’m going to spend some time experimenting and researching further into that phosphorous question and see what I can find out. Happy Valentine’s Day and fast on, friends!

(Simon L Smith) #123

So, question.

How are you/we doing updates?

I weighed myself today for a starting reference.

I use to weigh in on Fridays (left over from old WW days) but will now weigh in on Sunday mornings.

What do you plan to included in your udates?

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #124

I wasn’t planning to do all of the tables and graphs like I did last year but I do still track my weight, BG, and ketones each morning. Being that I am fasting 84-96 hours each week I may talk about overall weight loss and a bit of analysis of my BG and ketone levels.

Mostly I will share how I am feeling both fasting and feasting. I will talk about different events and situations I find myself in and how I handle each of them so I and do some self reflection as well for others to maybe learn from my experience and give their point of view.

I believe we are all here to learn from one another so share what you find important to you, wins as well as losses, and we will all benefit!

Started a 3 day fast today, technically last night. Will break at my daughter’s birthday dinner on Friday night.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #126

Happy Valentine’s Day and welcome to Lent! We went to dinner last night and I had a 12oz NY strip and a couple glasses of red wine, a very nice treat before the fasting began. So I started my fast about 7:00PM and that puts me at the 18.5 hour mark now.

I am not feeling any hunger at all as I have been on a zero carb WOE for the last couple of months and that keeps me well satiated and away from the snacking problem I tend to have!

My weight has been pretty stable the last month including the 2 3-day fasts I did in the last 4 weeks. I lose a few pounds during the fast and it comes back gradually during the feast days. I am not worried right now as I am in the indoctrination period for zero carb and it is recommended to ‘eat meat, not too little, mostly fat’ and I like to eat!

My morning glucose typically tends to be in the 100-120 range most days but it drops significantly to 85-95 in the afternoon. This morning was 97, after 123 and 125 the previous 2 mornings, and I just took it again and it is still 97mg/dl.

My ketones are typically 0.3 to 0.7 mmol/l in the morning but after my 3-day fast in mid January they popped up for 4 or 5 days to as high as 3.1 mmol/l. The cool thing is my fast was Wednesday-Friday (Saturday morning actually) and my ketones were 0.6-0.7 during the fast and moved up to 1.7 on Saturday morning before eating. Then, for the next few days my ketones stayed over 1.0 mmol/l! Amazing!

I am really anxious to see how these values vary during these 7 weeks of 3-day fasts!

(Jo) #127

Doing a slightly different version as I’m new to fasting and don’t want to over do it.

36ish hour fast Ash Wednesday

36ish hour fast every Friday during Lent (Thurs dinner last meal until Saturday breakfast)

Fasting night of Holy Thursday through breakfast Easter Sunday.

I’m allowing cream in my Tea and broth as needed.

Very blessed to have found this WOE!!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #128

Hey Jo, it sounds like you have a wonderful plan!

Happy fasting!